Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love VB

I love VB

I am 42 years old. I learned BASIC in 1982 on a Radio Shack TRS-80.

I started teaching myself VB Express yesterday. I love it. It is so much more powerful than BASIC but my experience makes it easy for me to learn!

Re: I love VB

Too much caffeine? Continue and enjoy, my fellow 42 year old.

That was where I first started programming, too, and in about the same year.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That was where I first started programming, too, and in about the same year.
    u were 42 yr old at 1982?

believe it or not not, i was not aware of how to boot the computer till my 25 year of age
    my brother in law gave me a second hand windows OS system, with that i started in VB6 TO vb.net

person like me can do programming, because i think it's vb studio & vb.net
    The averted nuclear war
    My notes:

PrOtect your PC. MSDN Functions .OOP LINUX forum
    .LINQ LINQ videous
    If some one helps you please rate them with out fail , forum doesn't expects any thing other than this

Addicted Member

Visual Basic is one of the school syllabus in India.......
    but i missed this one.......

42? Bunch of children!

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

42??? join the club
    too much pizza isn't good for you at your age

A trip down memory lane...

I started on 1982 also but on a Commodore 64. I then used GWBasic on a PC I purchased for $1,600.00. It was a Supercomputer at the time. Superturbo (10Mhz) IBM-XT (8088), 256 Kb ram. with a HARD DRIVE! (5Mb) a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive and a Zenith amber monitor. I still have it, it weights the same as a refrigerator, except for the monitor, that gave way, I have an original IBM green one now.

I am 45 now btw.
    Last edited by kaliman79912; Oct 21st, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

Wow, I feel like such a beginner.

I started programming in 2005!
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Moved To Chit Chat

I was on the design team for the first abacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Aash View Post
    u were 42 yr old at 1982?
    No, I started programming on a TRS-80 Level I back around 1982, though I forget the exact date. I'm 44 at the time of this post.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I started with Quick-Basic in 1989.

Microsoft used to include a file called gorilla.bas with each basic compiler. It was where you controlled a monkey that climbed up a skyscraper and threw bananas at another monkey. I started on a 8086 machine.

At the time the 386 had just been launched and we were not allowed to touch the faster computer.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Interesting... looks like a lot of us got into it about the same time... 1982 was when learned programming too... Apple BASIC... then got into PC-BASIC & GW-BASIC a few years later on an old IBM PC (the original... not even an XT) ... which got me through high school and into college. Probably even still works today if I could find it in storage. But I'm jsut a youngin..... I'm only 38

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

It was the fall of 1979 for me, which was my last year of high school. The school introduced, for first time, a computer programming class for those of us good with math. It was FORTRAN and we coded on punch cards. In the following years, I too, started BASIC on a Trash 80. Stayed with GW-BASIC and broke into VB via VBA and MS Access. I jumped into VB6 several years later, skipping the earlier versions.

P.S. I still have a GW-BASIC book containing all the commands & functions, though the binding glue has been deteriorating over time. Kept it why? I don't know.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Oct 21st, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

This thread makes me feel young... I guess that's because I am (21).

I started programming in vb3 on a win 95 Leading Edge, that was probably around 2001 when I was 11. I've pretty much been self taught in all my programming, up until high school when I was told things I already knew. I don't program for employment, but I do use it as a problem solving tool. I hate when a computer doesn't have the capability to do what I want and how I want it done.

If you're wrong, you'll learn. If I'm wrong, I'll learn. Try something new and go from there. That's how we improve.

CodeBank: VB.Net - Simple Proper Image Scaling in Correct Aspect Ratio - Star Rating Control
    Useful Links: HOW TO USE CODE TAGS

Quote Originally Posted by stepdragon View Post
    This thread makes me feel young... I guess that's because I am (21).
    Yep, that's what I use to say too
    Though back then, they didn't have things like PCs and the Internet (as we know it)

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Yep, that's what I use to say too
    Though back then, they didn't have things like PCs and the Internet (as we know it)
    u might know too how things got extinct on earth

I had QBasic on cd awhile back until I destoryed the cd. I didn't use it much. I think I only created one very basic program.

Quote Originally Posted by stepdragon View Post
    I started programming in vb3 on a win 95 Leading Edge, that was probably around 2001 when I was 11. I've pretty much been self taught in all my programming, up until high school when I was told things I already knew. I don't program for employment, but I do use it as a problem solving tool. I hate when a computer doesn't have the capability to do what I want and how I want it done.
    Yeah, I started with VB5 in 1997/1998 then moved on to vb6. In college I have learnt C# almost completed the C# part of my course, just one more test to pass.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

First programmed in 1972 - Fortran IV, then moved on to IBM370 Assembler, IBM Basic, (Delft) Algol, Cobol and APL. When the 'Micro Computers' arrived, got a Commadore 64 (which is still in the attic), a BBC Micro (which I gave away to a museum in a local School), and an original Apple. Those Basic languages were excellent.

The BBC Basic supported embedded 6502 Assembler. Because the 'Operating System' was in ROM it was fairly easy to create something like an API (ie find the address of a certain routine in ROM and call it )

I remember using the code which determined the '1's and '0's from the Tape Recorder Interface (Programs / Data were recorded to cassettes and loaded / saved through the earphone / microphone jacks of the recorder) to create a program which decoded RTTY (Radio Teletype) signals on short wave radio.

Ah those were the days.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aash View Post
    u might know too how things got extinct on earth
    As one of the few surviving dinosaurs, I am waiting for a huge boatload of cash from some science researcher or theologian to reveal that secret

Real men code in binary

Quote Originally Posted by Spetnik View Post
    Real men code in binary
    With punchcards...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    With punchcards...

-tg
    Drunk...

Wow, this thread really took off! Thanks for the enthusiasm!

Quote Originally Posted by Spetnik View Post
    Drunk...
    Real men code in binary with punchcards while drunk.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Without pants.

What? Don't judge me!
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

PowerPoster

I remember taking a class (outside of school, vendor training for work) where we had to write a program to punch a binary deck. This deck of binary cards was used to bootstrap and run a small program on the mainframe in place of an operating system. Getting machine time to test was very difficult and we only got 3 tries at it.

Most of our programs did little except copy data to a line printer, sort of a "Hello World" I suppose. Even that was less than trivial because you accomplished it by initializing and then feeding another small program to an I/O processor.

There was no assembler available for these machines, since even the OS was written in a form of Algol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Now I know whom to blame!
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by opus View Post
    Now I know whom to blame!

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

I knew it...Dr Who!

Quote Originally Posted by i like pizza View Post
    I am 42 years old. I learned BASIC in 1982 on a Radio Shack TRS-80.

I started teaching myself VB Express yesterday. I love it. It is so much more powerful than BASIC but my experience makes it easy for me to learn!
    Do you like pizza and love VB? That would make you a true programmer.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    nothing to laugh at, you should have seen my fingers when they came out of that abacus thing.

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd View Post
    Do you like pizza and love VB? That would make you a true programmer.
    i'm going to order pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    Microsoft used to include a file called gorilla.bas with each basic compiler.
    You mention it and I can still "hear" the sound when the banana did hit a house.

Does anybody have a copy of it.

Moved To Chit Chat

Do you think abacus would have been a hit like the i-devices are today, if the beads were designed to look like tits?

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

I was born in 1982, I feel so far behind. 10 years programming in various different languages doesn't seem to be a lot. :S

Real men enter the program through the toggle-switches on the front panel and save the program to paper tape!

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Real men write code on bar napkins

Fanatic Member

I was born in 1993, I started programming with Java in summer 2003...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast