Thread: Project RattleSnake

Project RattleSnake

Project RattleSnake

What is Project RattleSnake?

Project RattleSnake is a little creation of my own that is a complete rewrite of my original Simple Networking Library. RattleSnake is designed to leave all the nasty work of dealing with TcpClients and TcpListeners and handles all of the work for you. It is designed to work on Framework 2.0 and above with Option Strict On, Option Infer Off and was created in Visual Studio 2010*.

There's something different about RattleSnake in a sense that it's a hybrid-like system. RattleSnake can perform binary serialization with entire objects or you can send a raw byte array across the stream instead, the system works with either one!

Is there documentation for RattleSnake?

Yes, there is actually. Complete documentation has been generated which is located here. [As of May 3rd, this documentation is slightly out of date!]

Have you created a sample application with RattleSnake yet?

Here is a list of sample applications that have been made with RattleSnake:

There is a small ToDo list for RattleSnake:

• Clean up and optimize the code as necessary

I'm open to any questions and comments about RattleSnake and anyone can post any implementations they have created using RattleSnake! All I ask is that in their program, they put a small notice giving me credit.

Update Note [May 2nd]: For those wondering, I missed a few features in the server which have been fixed, as well as fixing several other program crashing bugs. When I get home, I shall upload a new version which contains all the proper fixes as well as a test program created to fully test out the system.

Update Note [May 3rd]: Fixed the RattleSnakeServer and updated a few properties to be more uniform in how their definitions work. Updated documentation will come later tonight or tomorrow.

*: I use a few Visual Studio 2010 only features, such as one line properties which are not compatible with previous versions of Visual Studio. It would be really simple however for someone to correct these errors.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by formlesstree4; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Updates

Banned

Re: Project RattleSnake

1 what does it do ? what can rattlesnake be used for ?
    2 walkthrough for using it

Quote Originally Posted by moti barski View Post
    1 what does it do ? what can rattlesnake be used for ?
    2 walkthrough for using it
    1) The first paragraph should have indicated but I guess not. It's a networking library.

2) Will come at a later date. For now, you can download the included documentation and read it. It explains the methods and classes that are used and how to initialize them.

Banned

It's a networking library
    what do you mean ?

what do you mean ?
    You can make an Instant Messenger with this if you want to, it allows for two (or more) programs to communicate with each other over the Internet. I can't explain it much simpler than that.

Banned

can it be used to make a private network between multiple pc's and a hub switch ?

can it be used to make a private network between multiple pc's and a hub switch ?
    It's not designed to replace anything, just to make it simpler to connect computers. I imagine you could host the RattleSnakeServer, say, on a central computer and have clients connect to it, sort of forming your own hub.

Banned

if you give a walkthrough for that it would be SO awesome !

if you give a walkthrough for that it would be SO awesome !
    I'm finishing up a sample application that shows how to use the classes, they'll be up later tonight.

The main post has been updated to include a sample application as well as a new version of RattleSnake which includes numerous bug-fixes.

Nice job

I was actually thinking about asking you to write a tutorial or something related to networking as you have suggested me to use Async. callback in one of my previous threads.
    But you have foreseen my thoughts

I have downloaded and tried running the example. Since the Rattlesnake reference is not found, I have removed that reference and added the Main.vb as an existing item to the project. Then it shows the following errors:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/852/rattlesnake.png/

I didn't explored the coding at the moment.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

It requires you to download the RattleSnake.vb; I should mention that in the main post, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by formlesstree4 View Post
    It requires you to download the RattleSnake.vb; I should mention that in the main post, sorry!
    You mean the attached file Main.vb ?
    I have downloaded your three files:
    • Main.vb
    • documentation
    • example

When I first open the example program, it shows an error that it couldn't find the reference to RattleSnake !
    So, I have removed the reference and added the Main.vb (Project menu --> Add existing item). Then it shows the errors and warning that I have posted as an image.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Banned

still want a walkthrough, this is the last time i ask, i will not neg

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    You mean the attached file Main.vb ?
    I have downloaded your three files:
    • Main.vb
    • documentation
    • example

When I first open the example program, it shows an error that it couldn't find the reference to RattleSnake !
    So, I have removed the reference and added the Main.vb (Project menu --> Add existing item). Then it shows the errors and warning that I have posted as an image.

See if Intellisense has an autocorrect, it just sounds like some namespaces are off in the actual stuff. Sorry for the miscommunication of the file name, I did mean "Main.vb", not RattleSnake.vb

still want a walkthrough, this is the last time i ask, i will not neg
    Moti, look at the example application. It isn't very hard to use RattleSnake; it's quite easy and event based. If you can't understand it from the sample application, then I'll see if I can't help you more, but I'm rather busy with other things in life so I can't form a walkthrough on the drop of a hat.

Addicted Member

I haven't toyed with this yet, but reading that you say it would do raw byte arrays got me to thinking. Would you be able to encrypt the data and then send it with this as if it were a software based taclane?
    Last edited by skor13; May 24th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skor13 View Post
    I haven't toyed with this yet, but reading that you say it would do raw byte arrays got me to thinking. Would you be able to encrypt the data and then send it with this as if it were a software based taclane?
    You can in fact encrypt the bytes before sending using Triple DES or AES if you wanted to. You would have to modify the Send & Receive routines if you wanted to do it at low level so it would work with both serialized and regular structures.

Exclamation Re: Project RattleSnake

I'm trying to use the RattleSnake Sample project but when i try to connect to the server the client tells me that a Exception accrued. I am opening the program 2 times on the same computer.

Quote Originally Posted by sepehr View Post
    I'm trying to use the RattleSnake Sample project but when i try to connect to the server the client tells me that a Exception accrued. I am opening the program 2 times on the same computer.
    Does it tell you what the exception is?

EDIT: I tried my best to get some detailed exception handling for RattleSnake; so most parts that can throw an exception are covered. It should give you a detailed report somewhere and it seems that it's happening when the connection is taking place, probably in the RattleSnakeConnector Class.
    Last edited by formlesstree4; May 29th, 2011 at 07:05 PM.

Is this still active? I'm interested in what you have done and would like to examine your example. However I am having trouble with it. I opened your sample as a project and opened the file, Main.vb as an existing object. I am being told that there is a missing reference to RattleSnake.Networking.RattleSnake.RattleSnakeP2PServer. Is rattlesnake a separate project that I need to import into the solution? If so, where can I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by tglaesmann View Post
    Is this still active? I'm interested in what you have done and would like to examine your example. However I am having trouble with it. I opened your sample as a project and opened the file, Main.vb as an existing object. I am being told that there is a missing reference to RattleSnake.Networking.RattleSnake.RattleSnakeP2PServer. Is rattlesnake a separate project that I need to import into the solution? If so, where can I find it?

Never mind, I just had to change the import statement and some calls.

RattleSnake.Example.Networking.RattleSnake
    Replaces
    RattleSnake.Networking.RattleSnake

including the import statement.

This project is no longer under development. I have written replacements that I meant to publish but never did, sorry! I can try and help you if you need it.