Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Contest Suggestions

Re: Future Contest Suggestions

There was an alarm clock one!?!I MADE A SWEET ONE!!

How about an automated receptionist? Some program that answers a telephone, talks to the caller, and attempts to get them to leave an appropriate message? Something like:

Computer: "Hello, how may I driect your call?"

Caller: "I want to speak to such and such"

Computer: "Press #1 to speak directly to them, or press 2 to leave a message."

Caller <presses #1>

Computer: "I'm sorry, they are not answering their page. Please leave a message after the beep."

Caller <leaves a message>
    Nobody knows what software they want until after you've delivered what they originally asked for.

Don't solve problems which don't exist.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." --- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

2 idiots don't make a genius.

Fanatic Member

How about a game?

In the middle of the woods, in the forest of dean in the UK

Voice recognition, that's a bit tough isn't it, I wouldn't have the foggiest of where to start, but I'm still only a beginner though. How about a simple Instant messenger program, not sure how easy to judge it would be but could be quite fun to make.

KB04

Lemming type clone
    If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin

192.168.0.1 Preferred Animal: Penguin Reason for errors: Line#38

MP3 file organizer.

Searching
    ID tag editing
    file directory structure organizing
    file name editing
    file name / ID tag inconsistancy detection

Loads of features to seperate the good from the less good could be inplemented.
    Quotes:
    "I am getting better then you guys.." NoteMe, on his leet english skills.
    "And I am going to meat her again later on tonight." NoteMe
    "I think you should change your name to QuoteMe" Shaggy Hiker, regarding NoteMe
    "my sweet lord jesus. I've decided never to have breast implants" Tom Gibbons
    Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SLH
    MP3 file organizer.

Searching
    ID tag editing
    file directory structure organizing
    file name editing
    file name / ID tag inconsistancy detection

Loads of features to seperate the good from the less good could be inplemented.
    I think it's Mc_Brain who has his one of these inhis sig. It's already made! How about a scripting language? We all love to create parsers here

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss
    Write an Addin that does something useful that MZTools doesn't already do. Some things might be the ability to examine all your variables and make sure that their names conform to a set of rules that you can define, or a "lines of code" counter (what a "line" is would need to be defined), or a dead Sub/Function finder, or all of the above.
    That would leave out us Java developers...
    "Lies, sanctions, and cruise missiles have never created a free and just society. Only everyday people can do that."
    - Zack de la Rocha

Hear me roar.

192.168.0.1 Preferred Animal: Penguin Reason for errors: Line#38

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalNova
    I think it's Mc_Brain who has his one of these inhis sig. It's already made! How about a scripting language? We all love to create parsers here

chem
    Forgot about that, although i thought it was just an MP3 player...
    Quotes:
    "I am getting better then you guys.." NoteMe, on his leet english skills.
    "And I am going to meat her again later on tonight." NoteMe
    "I think you should change your name to QuoteMe" Shaggy Hiker, regarding NoteMe
    "my sweet lord jesus. I've decided never to have breast implants" Tom Gibbons
    Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Looks like there may be an idea in CC? It might not be too good since no programming is required. Oh wait, that might make it better.
    No bootlegged copyrighted wallpapers, only custom work.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

how about a program that changes your background images, maybe changes hue and stuff, and changes pictures..thatd be hot

Suggestion - quick image resizer

An application that would be really useful for me as a web developer would be a quick image resizer.

Basically there are times when I just need to do a quick and dirty file resize/reformat of an image sent to me.

I'm a lazy git so it would be great rather than booting up PhotoShop to do this silly little task just to right-click the file and choose Image Resize and then then the new image dimensions, resolution and file format (possibly compression ratio for jpeg outputs). These options should be editable so you can add to the quick list the most commonly used variations.

The main thing about this is it must be kept simple as I don't want to be fiddling around with loads of settings apart from maybe choosing most commonly used variations after installing. The functionality should be right-click > point > click and hey presto the file is now as I want it!

Obviously it ain't too complex a project but I'd be interested to see how people would go about doing this. Having the most functions in this case wouldn't be the best thing it's the usability!

I would do it myself but I just don't have the time so if this could run as a contest it would be cool.

Cheers

DJ

If I have been helpful please rate my post. If I haven't tell me!

In the middle of the woods, in the forest of dean in the UK

What about a touch typing learning program like mavis beacon or fingers for windows. There aren't any great freeware typing programs out there, well none that I found to be decent anyway.

KB04

i like that idea^^

Heres a suggestion.

I've seen this asked a few places and maybe this would be a good idea for a project.

The creation of a better RichTextBox control, one that supports more features and the ones of the current RTB - More features as in things like Different types of underline etc....

Cheers,

RyanJ
    My Blog.

Ryan Jones.

Addicted Member

i just go through this thread. i preffer one idea (which) i think is quite fun and the resulted output have commercial value or education value.

a typing program, yes... a typing program. a step by step typing program that make the user a master typist.

the commercial value is, the final output, we could use it, sell it, or donate it to school, the place u pray, and for ur kids who always come and bugs u.

well, i think it is not so hard to build a typing program. but the hard thing is how to make the user willing to use ur typing program over and over and over. and how ur program teach the user to type fast.

the judge might be ur kids. or people who got kids. (not me coz i am still a kid!) so, let see, u give ur kids several typing program and see which one does he use and play with it.

k, i support the idea of typing software. (coz my lab still use the old DOS typing program for users) LOL
    if u felt my post make u happy ,
    then u could make me happy too by rating my post

Quote Originally Posted by KB04
    What about a touch typing learning program like mavis beacon or fingers for windows. There aren't any great freeware typing programs out there, well none that I found to be decent anyway.

KB04
    Quote Originally Posted by dj4uk
    An application that would be really useful for me as a web developer would be a quick image resizer.

Basically there are times when I just need to do a quick and dirty file resize/reformat of an image sent to me.

I'm a lazy git so it would be great rather than booting up PhotoShop to do this silly little task just to right-click the file and choose Image Resize and then then the new image dimensions, resolution and file format (possibly compression ratio for jpeg outputs). These options should be editable so you can add to the quick list the most commonly used variations.

The main thing about this is it must be kept simple as I don't want to be fiddling around with loads of settings apart from maybe choosing most commonly used variations after installing. The functionality should be right-click > point > click and hey presto the file is now as I want it!

Obviously it ain't too complex a project but I'd be interested to see how people would go about doing this. Having the most functions in this case wouldn't be the best thing it's the usability!

I would do it myself but I just don't have the time so if this could run as a contest it would be cool.

Cheers

DJ
    Both these ideas are VERY good, i have been thinking about both of them for some time now, and would probably even enter even though i'm a total Newb ! :P
    Zeegnahtuer?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatone
    Both these ideas are VERY good, i have been thinking about both of them for some time now, and would probably even enter even though i'm a total Newb ! :P

I will second that, I like that suggestion too

Cheers,

RyanJ
    My Blog.

Ryan Jones.

How about little wigets that automate simple but labourous tasks?

For example I wrote a little command line wiget that appends [CRC] to the file name of all files in a directory if it doesnt already exist. (Where CRC is the CRC32 of the file)

I also have a wiget that runs at startup and cleans temp directories.
    Tips:
    • Google is your friend! Search before posting!
    • Name your thread appropriately... "I Need Help" doesn't cut it!
    • Always post your code!!!! We can't read your mind!!! (well, at least most of us!)
    • Allways Include the Name and Line of the Exception (if one is occuring!)
    • If it is relevant state the version of Visual Studio/.Net Framwork you are using (2002/2003/2005)

If you think I was helpful, rate my post
    IRC Contact: Rizon/xous ChakraNET/xous Freenode/xous

just a small question:
    are we gonna have a coding contest or we just gonna sit here discussing it for a few more months..lol

just enter the ideas into a random generator and we will all do that one...

rob

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

Figure out a fast string searching algorithm.

(because I'm making one atm )

Quote Originally Posted by makster246
    ...just enter the ideas into a random generator and we will all do that one...

rob
    A contest to see who can create the best "random generator of ideas" program as the next contest.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

AH! I'll get on it right away!! I'll need the head start.
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merri
    Figure out a fast string searching algorithm.

(because I'm making one atm )
    This is a decent idea too. Easy to implement too (from a marking perspective).
    I don't live here any more.

Yea, like we dont know whos going to win that one, right Merri? :

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Well, it is hard to know: it is possible to make search strings that are slow with the algorithm I have, so a brute force search could beat it...

PM me with the code so I can use it to win Oh wait, I cant play since I am a Mod.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

String searches are easy. If you know how. The VB6 standard search is by no means optimal. The VB.net one is better but still not perfect.

We can all learn from DEK.

Well i think the best idea would be a photoshop like software! We could start with a basic framework and then all the people could come forward and post some filters! We can also keep increasing its functionality by making it flexible enough to add plugins? Wat u guys think?

That's not a contest?

Ok i got the view of the discussion wrong i thought we had all to make a software by joinin hands!

The better tells me why people post offtopic so easily and why there are some many threads with bad titles

Fanatic Member

I have an AWSOME IDEA! Lets actually START a coding contest!

Quote Originally Posted by RapchikProgrammer
    Ok i got the view of the discussion wrong i thought we had all to make a software by joinin hands!
    And singing some traditional songs around a campfire no doubt.

Addicted Member

A Connect 4 AI engine which we compete with each other's engines.
    Winner of course is who wins most games :P.
    Maybe a league table?

Addicted Member

Or what about the fastest hash table implementation?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Raedwulf
    Or what about the fastest hash table implementation?
    Guys, stop asking for fast stuff, guess who will win ? (Merri... )

I think we should have a contest that takes some math skills and logic, and not worry on how fast it is...
    I think it's time to have a contest that is marked by complexity intested of speed...

Not that I don't like speed... but can never win while Merri (or ppl like him) are in the contest

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael
    I think we should have a contest that takes some math skills and logic, and not worry on how fast it is...
    I think it's time to have a contest that is marked by complexity intested of speed...
    Could you give an example? Cause I don't quite understand what you mean

Has someone helped you? Then you can Rate their helpful post.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by manavo11
    Could you give an example? Cause I don't quite understand what you mean
    Yea... ammm.... I was afraid you might ask that...

Evey single example I can think of, can be used for speed too.... but in terms of complexity, I was thinking something like a ray tracing program. It can get very complex, the more realistic you want it, the more complex it is...
    But that kind of project can take a long time to do... I did one a long time ago in C++, I spent 6 months on it (then I lost all the code because of hard drive problems). Yes... I'm doing backups regularly since then....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast