Thread: VBF RSS Feed Beta

VBF RSS Feed Beta

Here it is! Please test it and post any bug reports here.

Any comments & suggestion welcome.

Danial.

Enjoy.

http://vbf.danial.net

Update: 28/05/2005
    Fixed some Issues to make it compatible with Desktop SideBar.

Update: 07/03/2005

To limit the number of Posts apeend this to url

&pp=10

This will only load the first 10 threads only.
    Last edited by Danial; May 28th, 2005 at 01:45 PM.
    [VBF RSS Feed]

There is a great war coming. Are you sure you are on the right side? Atleast I have chosen a side.

If I have been helpful, Please Rate my Post. Thanks.

This post was powered by :

Re: VBF RSS Feed Beta

Duly bookmarked. Been looking for that... but....
    1) Why the two different feeds, one for FF and one for a reader?
    2) Is there a way to get one that has the similar results as the "New Posts" link in the "Quick Links" menu? One that would give, the last, say 20-50 posts with a reply?

Tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    Duly bookmarked. Been looking for that... but....
    1) Why the two different feeds, one for FF and one for a reader?
    2) Is there a way to get one that has the similar results as the "New Posts" link in the "Quick Links" menu? One that would give, the last, say 20-50 posts with a reply?

Tg
    1. FireFox one simply lists all the threads to a given forum. Where as the 2nd one has the avility to read posts(first page only) from those threads.

2. Yes I have tried to create a feed for "New Posts". If you notice in the "Quick Links"/"New Posts" menu in VBF the link is defined as "search.php?do=getnew", now if i click on it directly it works fine, but when call this page from code, it returns me "No reslut found". Otherwise it wont be hard to create a feed for New Posts.

If anyone finds any way to read those links then let me know.

BTW: How did you find this thread? I just posted it and was gonna PM interested user from your earlier thread.

Thanks for your suggestion and query.

Danial
    Last edited by Danial; Mar 2nd, 2005 at 04:57 PM.
    [VBF RSS Feed]

There is a great war coming. Are you sure you are on the right side? Atleast I have chosen a side.

Tg
    Done!

Here is the Link
    FireFox : http://vbf.danial.net/rss.asp?ForumID=-1
    Other Reader : http://vbf.danial.net/rssNew.asp?ForumID=-1
    [VBF RSS Feed]

I use that New Post link heavily, and happened to be scrolling through and saw it. I had also seen your other thread regarding this, and so I was on the look out for it. When I get some time tonight, I'll see about hooking it up into my reader (I use SharpReader) and give you feedback on how it worked.

Tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I think the reason initialy you got no posts, is because it uses a cookie on the PC to determine your last visit time, and returns posts since that time. But I imagine it should be possible to pull the last 50 posts period, regardless of the last post or visit date.

I'll give them a shot when I get home.

Tg

I think the reason initialy you got no posts, is because it uses a cookie on the PC to determine your last visit time, and returns posts since that time. But I imagine it should be possible to pull the last 50 posts period, regardless of the last post or visit date.

I'll give them a shot when I get home.

Tg
    I have two version, VBScript/ASP and VB6 version, in VB6 i am using winsock, for some reason it returns nothing, so I assumed asp version will have the same problem, but thankfully asp version works perfectly.

Cheers for your feedback and looking forward to hear more from you.

Thanks.
    [VBF RSS Feed]

Hey fantastic I will have a detailed look at it as soon as I can find some time! But at a first glance it looks exactly like what I have been looking for!

Great job,

Thanks, Stephan
    Keep Smiling - even if its hard
    Frankie Says Relax, wossname Says Yeah!
    wossname:--Currently I'm wearing a gimp suit and a parachute.
    C# - Base64 Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Wokawidget
    what on earth does it do?

Woka
    Well RSS is simply an XML file which you can use to output info/data you want other pople to view using RSS Reader which is a bit like News Group reader. If you use FireFox then it will create a Live Book mark which will list all the info from the XML File, e.g News Headline, New Threads, Blogs etc.

In this case I simply list all the New threads(first page) from every forum(you can subscribe to any) and list them, you can directly come to the thread by clicking link.

In the 2nd version for RSS Readers includes the avility to view posts for the threads from the first page.

Here is a Print Screen from FireFox
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [VBF RSS Feed]

Hey Danial,

if I have a look at the Rss-Feeds from some blogs, they always post most of their content in the <decsription> Tag.

Any particular Reason why you are not doing the same?

Stephan
    C# - Base64 Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt-Peppa
    Hey Danial,

if I have a look at the Rss-Feeds from some blogs, they always post most of their content in the <decsription> Tag.

Any particular Reason why you are not doing the same?

Stephan
    Hi Stephan,
    Thank you for your comment. I intially added the description tag and had Number of Posts + LastPost + Poster etc for each thread. I even added all posts for each thread in the description tag. But if I put all the posts for each thread in description tag it will load a bit slow, so thats why I created a link which loads all the posts when you click a particular thread.

If you wish I can modify and give you the option to lists all the posts in the description tag. I assumed you want posts in the description tag, if not then please let me know.

Thanks.
    [VBF RSS Feed]

No just a question, its good the way it is! Was just wondering why! Cause as I said most blogs include the content in their description tag, but then of course a blog is something completely different than a forum of this size!

No everything is good the way it is right now! I am using the feeds quite regularly! Good work there! Thanks again!

Stephan
    C# - Base64 Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt-Peppa
    No just a question, its good the way it is! Was just wondering why! Cause as I said most blogs include the content in their description tag, but then of course a blog is something completely different than a forum of this size!

No everything is good the way it is right now! I am using the feeds quite regularly! Good work there! Thanks again!

Stephan
    Oops, Sorry I misunderstood you there. Great to know you are finding it useful. Any further suggestion and comments is very welcome.

Just out of curiosity what reader are you using? I have only tested it with SharpReader.

Thanks for your comment again Stephan.
    [VBF RSS Feed]

Actually I am using my own custom Rss Reader, and SharpReader.

My own Reader is not yet as good as SharpReader and was designed for some blogs I was checking on a daily basis. But at the moment whenever I have some time, I am improving my own reader, so it will read all Rss, Atom Feeds.

If I ever think its good enough I will be posting it here! Might take some time, cause there is still a lot of work to do!

Stephan
    C# - Base64 Blog

Resolved Re: VBF RSS Feed Beta

Awesome Danial, thanks for fixing that...works flawlessly now in Desktop Sidebar.

CP
    When I say 'jump', don't waste time asking 'how high?'.

Just a poor, dumb wanna-be programmer.

Looks great!

Thanks for this, this is great for all the RSS buffs out there (Including me )

Cheers,

RyanJ
    My Blog.

Ryan Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by sciguyryan
    Looks great!

Thanks for this, this is great for all the RSS buffs out there (Including me )

Cheers,

RyanJ
    You are welcome. Thanks for the comment.

Please do let me know if you have any suggestion or comments.

Thanks.

Danial
    [VBF RSS Feed]