Thread: FileCopy.. path/file access error

Addicted Member

Thumbs down FileCopy.. path/file access error

Everytime I try to copy a file from a network to my local drive or another networked computer I get an error saying:

Run-time error: 75
    Path/File access error

I can drag the file across using windows explorer so its not a rights issue. Any ideas?

code:
    FileCopy "\\myserver\images\1.jpg", "\\myserver2\images\1.jpg"

See if you can access those paths manually. Type the source in the run line and see if you have access. Then check the the destination if it allows you to write to it.

I just tested it here from one server to the next and it worked fine. with the only difference that the source was going through the share and the destination was going directly to the drive no share.

Hyperactive Member
    I might be mistaken, but I believe that FileCopy requires that you have a drive associated with your network paths. (ie. E:/ or Q:/) I don't think thta it resolves UNC. If this is a problem, (because the server is mapped to different drives on different machines), I know that there are quite a few examples on how to retrieve the UNC path form a drives list.

Anyway, just a thought.

I just tested it with UNC and it works fine. Does not even need the drive. It does resolve.

Addicted Member
    I got it, thanks for the help!

No Problem. It works with the UNC path right. Now i bet it was a wrong path or security. Come on tell me.

Addicted Member
    Actually you are right, the UNC path does work. However that was not the problem I was having... the example I posted was incorrect.. I was trying to do this:

FileCopy "\\server1\1.jpg", "\\server2"

.. for some reason you MUST specify the destination filename also. I looked it up in the knowledge base and its a known issue.

so.. FileCopy "\\server1\1.jpg", "\\server2\1.jpg" works.

Thanks again,
    Thai

TheSarlacc
    they say u learn something everyday, well, i just did! i had tried doing that, and it didnt work. now i know y! thx ppls!

Sorry that i forgot to metion that. Yes you need to give it a filename. If you use the FSO you do not have to specify any file name it will take the one of the file being copied.