Thread: [RESOLVED] can't go to breakpoints in VS2019 community

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] can't go to breakpoints in VS2019 community

I have a Solution with two projects. The 1st one is dll project, another is a demo project using this dll. In demo project, I go to reference-Add reference-Projects and check on the dll project xxx.csproj, then I set my demo project as startup project, then run it, the demo project is running normal. But I set few breakpoints in my dll csproj xxx.cs, none of them are working and tripping. In my VS2010, breakpoints are working exactly. What I am missing?

Fanatic Member

Re: can't go to breakpoints in VS2019 community

After playing for few hours, VS2019's brealpoints get to work. I don't know the reason, wrong configuration?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaveDavis; Jul 24th, 2020 at 05:23 AM.

Re: can't go to breakpoints in VS2019 community

If you set a breakpoint in the demo project, is that working as expected? If it is, then take that opportunity to take a look at the breakpoints you set in the dll project. I'm not sure what graphic is used in 2019, but in earlier versions, a breakpoint that wouldn't be hit would appear as a 'hollow' ball in the left margin. There must be some similar graphic being used in 2019.

The next thing to try, pretty much regardless of what you are seeing with those breakpoints in the dll, is to get to a call of a dll method from the demo project. Try stepping into the dll.

In an earlier version of VS, there were times when VS would get confused about stepping into a dll. The exact remedy was a bit of voodoo, frankly, but it was often fixed by stepping into a dll method. Alternatively, you might get a dialog box prompting you to identify the source code. While that would not fix things well, it would be instructive if you saw that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing