dcsimg

Thread: "trusted" app

"trusted" app

one thing that is EXTREMELY annoying with microsoft is them making all applications that don't "pay money" (years ago when I checked, I don't know if they still do?) to microsoft "untrusted apps"... users automatically assume there must be something wrong (i.e., virus, etc) - and microsoft even tries to "trick" people into not using it - in that they have a big "DONT RUN" button... (do you still have to pay stupid microsoft for the 'privelege' of being able to install your software?)

anyways, very reluctantly I am thinking I'll jump through this extra hoop by stupid, stupid microsoft...

what exactly do you have to do to make your app "trusted" by microsoft, so that uses aren't prompted by that "scary" screen that tries to prevent them from installing something?

and - I use an installer file (i.e., innosetup), as well as copy protection on my VB6 app - so - do I apply the certificate to the "install" package, the actual "installed" file "pre" or "post" copy protected? and/or what else do I need to do?

here's an example of what I am talking about...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frenzied Member

Re: "trusted" app

thats one reason why I dont create installers, I make all my programs install-free.
    even so, there will be antivirus that will flag it, so there will always be problems. the only thing I can do is to keep trying to explain and keep making programs and updates, after years of being a member in forums and sites people tends to trust you more.

so... wait a sec - are you saying it's the "installer" that is giving that message? and if I just had a 'naked' vb6 .exe file -that it won't not display that message?

Quote Originally Posted by mememe2 View Post
    and - I use an installer file (i.e., innosetup), as well as copy protection on my VB6 app - so - do I apply the certificate to the "install" package, the actual "installed" file "pre" or "post" copy protected? and/or what else do I need to do?
    You cannot do anything. Whatever you think you can do, so can the malware creators do. The filter is a robot based on statistics. Has nothing to do with installers and/or if you code-signing your executable with a certificate.

The filter is reputation based but not the reputation you gather in these forums. Imagine each executable is calculated a checksum and this checksum is measured how many times it's executed by regular users and if it's flagged by AV software etc. no one probably knowns for sure exactly the secret sauce.

Anyway, the point is once you compile your app it has a new checksum. It's completely unknown by the reputation system. You have to wait a couple of weeks until it gets "accepted" by filters for a normal application.

cheers,
    </wqw>

so *that* message you are saying has nothing to do with code signing/certificate authorities?

geez I hate it when this forum deletes my messages/doesn't post them correctly... I also posted - are you saying microsoft collects stats on user installs - and after a while "decides" whether it is safe or not and will remove that message from future installs? (i.e., if no one 'complains', etc?)

PowerPoster

I have created vb programs and installers for years, can't say I have ever had that screen pop up with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mememe2 View Post
    geez I hate it when this forum deletes my messages/doesn't post them correctly... I also posted - are you saying microsoft collects stats on user installs - and after a while "decides" whether it is safe or not and will remove that message from future installs? (i.e., if no one 'complains', etc?)
    For sure!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SmartScreen

> Microsoft faced concerns surrounding the privacy, legality and effectiveness of the new system, suggesting that the automatic analysis of files (which involves sending a cryptographic hash of the file and the user's IP address to a server) could be used to. . . yada yada yada. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen

Reputation-based URL and app protection.

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen evaluates a website's URLs to determine if they're known to distribute or host unsafe content. It also provides reputation checks for apps, checking downloaded programs and the digital signature used to sign a file. If a URL, a file, an app, or a certificate has an established reputation, users won't see any warnings. If, however, there's no reputation, the item is marked as a higher risk and presents a warning to the user.
    (i) Important

SmartScreen protects against malicious files from the internet. It does not protect against malicious files on internal locations or network shares, such as shared folders with UNC paths or SMB/CIFS shares.