dcsimg

Thread: Vb Crashing since last update?

Vb Crashing since last update?

VB6 crashes after running several of our programs. The program runs fine from within VB but upon exit the program, VB crashes. This is occurring with several programs that have not received any code edits. Is this a known issue with a recent Windows 10 update?

Thanks for any assistance!
    Last edited by Theobald; May 21st, 2020 at 10:49 PM.

Re: Vb Crashing since last update?

Welcome to the forums.

We'll need more details. Here's a start. But the more you can give, the more ppl may be able to help

1. This is just a VB IDE thing? None of your compiled VB executables are crashing?
    2. Do all of those projects have some custom usercontrol in common?
    3. Do all of those projects have some custom DLL in common?

As far as the IDE crashing, I'm not experiencing anything. You may want to also include which version of Win10 you are running?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Thanks for responding!

1. This is just a VB IDE thing? None of your compiled VB executables are crashing?

Correct, all run great.

2. Do all of those projects have some custom usercontrol in common?
    3. Do all of those projects have some custom DLL in common?

They all have third party ocx references\components in common, resize32.ocx and xceedzip. However, I stripped them out of a copy of one program and the same results.

As far as the IDE crashing, I'm not experiencing anything. You may want to also include which version of Win10 you are running?

Crashes 3/4 of the time.

Also, Kaspersky sometimes flags the exe for these programs.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Theobald; May 22nd, 2020 at 07:54 AM.

Fanatic Member

This Win 10 Update problem has been reported.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl.../#5a2afef67fca

I personally have not experienced any issues, but then again I do not run in the IDE on Win 10.

J.A> Coutts

So, the problem may be Windows, not VB. If that patch is the reason, I'm glad I auto-postpone major updates for 30 days and security updates for 15 days.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Removing the update appears to have resolved the issue! And I always assumed the updates could be trusted.

Saved me tons of additional trouble shooting time. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    So, the problem may be Windows, not VB. If that patch is the reason, I'm glad I auto-postpone major updates for 30 days and security updates for 15 days.
    How do you do that? How do know which KB when it's released and if there are any troubles with it?

Do you go check and uncheck each update individually when you decide it's time to let go the updates?

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Working fine here so far.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Working fine here so far.
    Here too.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    How do you do that? How do know which KB when it's released and if there are any troubles with it?

</wqw>
    The "how to" is described in link below, though it's a bit old now, still applies. Look at the "Advanced Options" portion about 1/3 of the way down the page. On my Win10 version, I can actually choose how many days vs the default 35 days shown in this link:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...etting-updates

When updates are ready, they show up in the Settings | Update & Security tab. If you want to preview them, you need to google. But at least the KB#### is displayed for your (or whatever the title of the update is).

As far as KB articles. I rely on dilettante to tell us
    But seriously, with a 30+ day delay, I usually hear it through the grapevine (here on the forums, at work, etc)

These days I had to remove an update because I had problems recognizing my keyboard, plus a serial / usb cable drive

Addicted Member

same here, i dont know what happen. suddenly my VB IDE start to crash everytime I quit the run time/compile.
    Can someone point me what should I do (if better, without uninstalling the update KB WIN10)

mine is WIN10-64bit