dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Microsoft WinHTTP Services, version 5.1

Resolved [RESOLVED] Microsoft WinHTTP Services, version 5.1

I am using VB6 on WIN10 Home. I have just recently learned that I should never use IE11. I don't have a desktop icon for this program, but I think it is on the system. I have several VB6 programs that use the Microsoft WinHTTP Service, version 5.1 reference.

How do I know which of these VB6 programs are using IE11? My default browser is Google Chrome. My backup browser is Microsoft edge. If these VB6 programs are using IE11 (or any other version of IE), how do I add code to make sure I am using Google Chrome?

I know I am using IE because in one of my anti-virus utilities (Glary), when I run Advanced Tools --> Clean Up & Repair --> Disk Cleanup, I get entries for Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge Cache, and Google Chrome Cache always with number of files and total file sizes.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft WinHTTP Services, version 5.1

It seems that I have asked this question before. But I need a more detailed response.

PowerPoster

WinHTTP is entirely separate from IE/WinInet/UrlMon. They probably have Winsock and CryptoAPI in common but that's well below the caching level of the two protocol stacks.

dilettante, I think you are saying that VB6 uses the default browser setting. In my case that would be Google Chrome. Then how would I find the program(s) that using IE11?

PowerPoster

No, VB6 pays no attention to the default browser setting.

The UrlMon/WinInet stack is part of Windows, part that both IE and VB6 (among other things) make use of. Whether you call it in a VB6 programs depends on what language features and components you make use of. Examples: WinInet control, AsyncRead method.

Using the WebBrowser control makes use of a large portion of IE as well as its underpinnings.

VB6 will never make use of Chrome or Edge. At best you'd have to use some 3rd party library that wraps portions of the Chrome codebase if you wanted to force your programs to "use Chrome."

Chrome, Edge, FireFox, et al. are "stooges," "foreign software" compared with IE, even with all of the IE de-coupling that was done beginning in Windows Vista. In contrast IE can still be considered a highly-integrated part of Windows.

Think of IE as a newer car's infotainment system that may be part of the anti-theft systems, navigation, dashboard controls and displays, etc. Think of Chrome as an iPad duct-taped to the dashboard.

None of this has anything to do with WinHttp.

Thanks dilettante. So I guess I need to use IE in my VB6 programs. Thanks for the explanation.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Microsoft WinHTTP Services, version 5.1

Well, nothing prevents you from using 3rd party libraries.

I understand. Do you think it is too dangerous to use IE11 (or any version) on WIN10?

PowerPoster

Well I can't imagine there is anything "dangerous" about it.

Most people with a concern like this are trying to steal content from web sites that no longer support IE though.

What you are actually trying to do in a given program makes a big difference. Your question asked about WinHTTP and then got it confused with IE somehow. Without more detail it is hard to offer any advice at all.

I was just following up from a listing on the Tech Support forum about IE and WIN10. All the web sites I am accessing through VB6 still support IE. I guess I will need to look at third party software that will integrate with VB6 (not easy I would imagine since VB6 is obsolete, but preferred) before they upgrade.

Thanks

Using WinHTTP is not like using IE11 and you and your clients are totally safe using it from VB6. The only reason to replace WinHTTP with a 3rd party components is if it stops working with a particular site.

cheers,
    </wqw>