dcsimg

Thread: Impasse in project and Porting VB.net to python

Impasse in project and Porting VB.net to python

Hello all, hopefully I'm posting in the right place. I'm working on a project that allows customers to scan a bar code with a scan gun, they click upload and it sends the code to a mysql database where it can be viewed and sorted. We were planning on using a Raspberry Pi 4 with Raspbian and use Mono to run the .exe file. That turned out to be a dead end. We still want to use the Raspberry Pi so we've opted to attempt in eliminating windows from the equation. The easiest for us would be moving to Python. I am a very new programmer, so constructive criticism is welcomed. Finally, my question is: Can anyone help me brainstorm/give me ideas and guidance on how this code should look in Python?

Thank you so much for your time and assistance!

(Again, I'm a new programmer, I realize there are better alternatives to most of my code, which is why I'm here. Thank you!)

Code:
    Imports MySql.Data.MySqlClient
    Public Class Form1

Dim Uname As String
        ReadOnly connection As New MySqlConnection("datasource=192.168.1.134;port=3306;username='root';password='Khajiit19!';database = Barcodes")

Private Sub Label1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles TextBoxPassword.TextChanged, TextBoxUsername.TextChanged

End Sub

Private Sub CheckBoxSP_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles CheckBoxSP.CheckedChanged

If TextBoxPassword.UseSystemPasswordChar = True Then

TextBoxPassword.UseSystemPasswordChar = False

Else

TextBoxPassword.UseSystemPasswordChar = True

End If

End Sub

Private Sub ButtonCancel_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ButtonCancel.Click

Me.Close()

End Sub

Private Sub ButtonLogin_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ButtonLogin.Click

Dim command As New MySqlCommand("SELECT `username`, 'password' FROM `Accounts` WHERE `username` = @username AND `password` = @password;", connection)

command.Parameters.Add("@username", MySqlDbType.VarChar).Value = TextBoxUsername.Text
            command.Parameters.Add("@password", MySqlDbType.VarChar).Value = TextBoxPassword.Text

Dim adapter As New MySqlDataAdapter(command)
            Dim table As New DataTable()

Try
                adapter.Fill(table)
            Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show("Could Not Connect To MySQL Server")
            End Try

If table.Rows.Count = 0 Then
                MessageBox.Show("Invalid username or password")
            ElseIf MessageBox.Show("Login Succesful") Then
                Dim Barcode = New Barcode()
                Me.Hide()
                Barcode.ShowDialog()
                Me.Close()
            End If

End Sub
    End Class

Re: Impasse in project and Porting VB.net to python

Hello,

There exist a few converters (here and here) but I don't know if they are reliable. Do you know python language ?

As you use mysql, I'd say the first would be to have a look to how to use it with python and then try to find some tutorial, code example in python to use a bar code scan system.

Maybe you could try to post it on a python forum or on stack overflow python forum

regards
    Last edited by Delaney; May 19th, 2020 at 04:42 AM.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine