Thread: vbRichClient - Proxy configuration for Internet access

vbRichClient - Proxy configuration for Internet access

First of all, I can't help commenting again, how amazing vbRichClient is (who still has doubts about it, look more carefully... is missing out on an unbelievable tool).

Recently, I was studying the RPC class... it opened my mind about the exchange of information between Client and Server.

In my opinion, if you are going to develop "popular software", access to the Server should be simple (port 80 is what would avoid problems and support)...

But my question is this... When we access the Internet, there are many companies that have a proxy configured... and usually browsers and components (such as WinInet) have proxy settings and also, an option to use the settings in "Options Internet", which is part of Windows (and can be accessed IE)...

Is there a way to configure this or "do it manually" that this configuration is possible... in the Internet access components (client) of vbRichClient..?

(sorry for possible english errors... most of them were translated by Google Translate - I'm from Brazil, I have a software company that operates in Latin America and we have been using VB6 for over 20 years)

Thank you,
    Thiago

PowerPoster

Re: vbRichClient - Proxy configuration for Internet access

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoPSanches View Post
    First of all, I can't help commenting again, how amazing vbRichClient is (who still has doubts about it, look more carefully... is missing out on an unbelievable tool).

Recently, I was studying the RPC class... it opened my mind about the exchange of information between Client and Server.

In my opinion, if you are going to develop "popular software", access to the Server should be simple (port 80 is what would avoid problems and support)...

But my question is this... When we access the Internet, there are many companies that have a proxy configured... and usually browsers and components (such as WinInet) have proxy settings and also, an option to use the settings in "Options Internet", which is part of Windows (and can be accessed IE)...

Is there a way to configure this or "do it manually" that this configuration is possible... in the Internet access components (client) of vbRichClient..?

(sorry for possible english errors... most of them were translated by Google Translate - I'm from Brazil, I have a software company that operates in Latin America and we have been using VB6 for over 20 years)
    In that case (when you want to avoid FireWall- and Proxy-Problems) I would not use the RC5-RPCServer,
    but the IIS (MS-Internet-Information-Server) - and at the client-side WinHttp 5.1. instead.

Whilst RPCServer can be configured to "listen on Port 80"...
    (it will even respond to a Http-request from a Browser, with a simple "Yes, I'm here and running" message),
    it has its own "binary protocol" - which is not http-conform - and thus a few Proxies who look for "http-headers" will not be happy.

It also has its own (Diffie-Hellman-based) PublicKey/StreamCypher encryption, which works differently from what "https://" does over Port 443.

Please read, how to set-up the IIS properly ...
    When you do so, then Development can be as convenient as with the RC5-RPC-Classes
    (also supporting "full-RoundTrip-Debugging" in the VB6-IDE).

Here is an article I wrote about that:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...g-of-http-RPCs

At the ServerSide (in your VB6-Dlls) - and on the Clientside (Your Client-Executable),
    you are of course free to use RC5-Classe however you like (e.g. for JSON-transport,
    or SQLite-access, or whatever you use them for currently).

HTH

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; May 10th, 2020 at 02:38 PM.

Re: vbRichClient - Proxy configuration for Internet access

Understood...

Currently I already use ASP (IIS in 32-bit mode)... Converting 'ADO Rs' to 'RC5 Rs' (CreateTableFromADORs) and returning to the client in compressed bytes (FastLZCompress)...
    This point is very interesting... because we don't need to send 'SQL Scripts' or 'JSON'... we can receive and use 'Rs' directly in bytes (and send/receive compressed!)

I had already seen your article... I looked again, now that you suggested...
    I was already doing something "similar", but I always learn something... like, sending ByRef Server, Request and Response objects to VB6 dll... 'ADO Rs' byte manipulation...

Thanks for your reply and attention

You totally clarified

--
    Thiago