dcsimg

Thread: Access Database Engine 2010 vs 2016?

Hyperactive Member

Access Database Engine 2010 vs 2016?

What is the difference between the "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable" and the "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable" components?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=54920

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/down....aspx?id=13255

Why are there 2 versions of this component?

I am using Access as a part of the Office 2019 Professional suite of programs.

Re: Access Database Engine 2010 vs 2016?

One is the database engine that drives Access 2010 and the other drives Access 2016. Obviously any improvements to the database engine in each new version mean a new engine. If you're using Office Pro then you should not need to install a separate ACE for use in .NET applications. If you're using Office 365 then you may need to. For most .NET applications using a an MDB or ACCDB data file, ACE 2010 will be fine. You only need ACE 2016 if you are specifically using features that it contains and ACE 2010 does not, which is unlikely.

Hyperactive Member

jmc,

Thanks. I see that the 2016 engine was last updated in March 2017, and the 2010 engine in December 2019. I haven’t found any details on the Microsoft websites about the differences between these two components.

This is new information for me...

If you're using Office Pro then you should not need to install a separate ACE for use in .NET applications.
    I assume you’re telling me that ACE is built in to the Office Pro suite of programs, with the implied advice to remove the stand-alone ACE (second copy) from my PC?

I’ve had problems with the 2010 engine, as I mentioned in a previous thread.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...t-applications

Maybe having 2 copies of the 2010 engine installed is the reason for the weird behavior?
    Last edited by Mark@SF; May 10th, 2020 at 07:48 AM.

I'm not sure of all the details but my own experience has been that, when I had Office Pro installed, I had no need to install ACE separately but when I switched to Office 365 I found that applications using ACE failed. If I remember correctly, I installed the 64-bit version of Office 365 but even 64-bit apps couldn't find ACE. I then installed 32-bit ACE 2010 and 32-bit apps using ACE then worked correctly.