Thread: RESOLVED Is it possible to disable OpenGL via VB6?

Addicted Member

RESOLVED Is it possible to disable OpenGL via VB6?

G'day folks,

Is there a way to disable / enable OpenGL via app?
    I only understand Visual Basic 6, not C+ or VBNet. Everything else is well over my head.

The long story:
    I am a video game mapper (hobbyist) using LightRay3D to make 3D models for my maps.
    My main computer motherboard recently died and I was given a potato PC to continue my preferred past time.
    This PC had an old video card which doesn't support OpenGL.
    I plugged my HDD to it and noticed that LightRay3D still worked despite displaying a pop-up notice of the lack of OpenGL at every launch.

The program usually jumps about more than a frog in a blender, with OpenGL but not without it. The difference is like chalk & cheese.
    As you can imagine, it's impossible to be precise with such a lack of stability.
    I much prefer LightRay3D's straight forward ease of use over other more complex modellers.

However, to test my models and maps in the game I must have OpenGL. It simply doesn't start without it.
    I placed my 2GB video card into this PC to test my work and we're back to the 3D modeller jumping about like crazy.

I tried to set my video card software to disable OpenGL for LightRay3D but it made no difference. :/

Name:  AMD_LightRay_OpenGL.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  22.4 KB

I was thinking of making a pause toggle or "Off" switch for OpenGL but I don't have a clue as to how or if it's even possible.
    Perhaps a pre-launch app that works similar to compatibility modes of a shortcut link? I dunno, just clutching at straws here.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; May 8th, 2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Resolved
    I rely heavily on trial and error, mostly only succeeding in the latter.

Addicted Member

Re: Is it possible to disable OpenGL via VB6?

Not to worry, I have disabled Anti-Aliasing for the program and that seems to have fixed it.
    I rely heavily on trial and error, mostly only succeeding in the latter.