Thread: [RESOLVED] Beep broken on Win 1909?

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Beep broken on Win 1909?

I use this function, and it always worked:

Code:
    Declare Function Beep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal soundFrequency As Long, ByVal soundDuration As Long) As Long
    Now I found, that it gives no sound on my Win10 1909 PC.
    All sound options on the PC are unchanged and do work flawless.

On XP it works...

Can anybody else hear the beep?

Beep.zip

Re: Beep broken on Win 1909?

I get the beep tone coming from my external speaker (sound card).

Here are remarks from msdn, maybe it helps?
    A long time ago, all PC computers shared a common 8254 programable interval timer chip for the generation of primitive sounds. The Beep function was written specifically to emit a beep on that piece of hardware.

On these older systems, muting and volume controls have no effect on Beep; you would still hear the tone. To silence the tone, you used the following commands:

net stop beep
    sc config beep start= disabled

Since then, sound cards have become standard equipment on almost all PC computers. As sound cards became more common, manufacturers began to remove the old timer chip from computers. The chips were also excluded from the design of server computers. The result is that Beep did not work on all computers without the chip. This was okay because most developers had moved on to calling the MessageBeep function that uses whatever is the default sound device instead of the 8254 chip.

Eventually because of the lack of hardware to communicate with, support for Beep was dropped in Windows Vista and Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.

In Windows 7, Beep was rewritten to pass the beep to the default sound device for the session. This is normally the sound card, except when run under Terminal Services, in which case the beep is rendered on the client.
    edited: Oh, also 1909 build 18363.720
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Been ages since I used a beep statement. As near as I can remember in the past it only worked if you had a hardware speaker plugged into the speaker port of the MB. It would have been the same beep you hear when you boot the system or series of beeps if there is an issue. If nothing is plugged into those pins on the MB then no beep.

PowerPoster

Looks like I have the 1903 build on mine at the moment. sound comes through the HDMI

Fanatic Member

Thanks.

Beep works, but only through Displayport.
    In the past it worked with the standard RealTek device.
    I have to try the sound settings.

In any case, the problem has nothing to do with VB6.
    Therefore I mark it as solved.