dcsimg

Thread: Static IP address and server security

Static IP address and server security

I have set up my local server with SQL Server to receive HTTP requests from the internet via our static IP modem. On the server there are also many company documents which can be downloaded to our users worldwide, via HTTP requests to this server.
    I have Windows Defender defending the lot.
    How can I properly ensure the security of all the information on the server.

Thanks
    PK

Re: Static IP address and server security

At the very least I would want a decent firewall between this server and the internet that only allows the specific http ports through. IF I am being really honest though I wouldn't consider putting anything that is considered private to the company on a machine that is directly connected to the internet anyway. If you need to give access to certain resources then put them on their own machine and give access to that machine.

Also you have posted this in the VB6 area but the question isn't related to VB6 so I have asked the Mods to move it to a more appropriate forum.

That's an important topic, but not one which is programming related, and not one that we have a specific forum for. Therefore, I moved it to General PC, where people do cover such topics, when they arise.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I assume that you require login credentials from anyone wanting access to that system.

You would want to monitor the log files for hacker login attempts, maybe use a vulnerability scanner to check for issues, limit failed login attempts, and, since you have this on an SQL Server, make sure that there are no SQL login credentials that could be easily guessed. This is just for starters. Any system that you have visible on the Internet is being attacked daily by hackers.

jdc2000

I assume that you require login credentials from anyone wanting access to that system.
    Only users authenticated by their Windows OS and by my program may send HTTP messages and it is sent serialized and cannot (I think) be deciphered.

Shaggy Hiker

At the very least I would want a decent firewall
    I am not sure what a decent firewall is. Presently I use defender as stated, but it is the first time I am using it and I do not know how good it is.
    I used to have Norton, but I have finally had enough of it and deleted that virus (only my personal opinion) from my PC.

PK

The Shields Up page at grc.com might be useful in checking to see what vulnerabilities you have.

Possibly useful inks:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...l-server-ver15

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservert...th-sql-server/

https://searchsecurity.techtarget.co...n-and-database

Lively Member

This is extremely large topic but here are some ideas:
    - use firewall which is directly connected to the internet - normal router can do that as most have built-in firewall
    - the router forwards only ports required from the internal server which handles HTTP
    - use secure HTTP (HTTPS) so the traffic is encrypted between the server and the client
    - change the HTTPS port from 443 to something different, e.g. 34567 - not the best but avoid scanners for standard services
    - run the SQL server on another machine (not where HTTP services are running)
    - web services should use limited privileges user to access the SQL server
    - use SSL connection from the web services to SQL server
    - keep log of login attempts in your web service
    - keep log of successful attempts
    - analyze successful logins by country and city and lock accounts used outside expected country
    - encrypt files and only users with correct key to be able to decrypt

There are more but most of the above can be done quickly and (again most of them) do not require additional development.