dcsimg

Thread: Why isn't VB.Net an option in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey?

Why isn't VB.Net an option in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey?

To all VB.Net programmers... Go take the Stack Overflow developer survey; https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/02/0...y-is-now-open/ and in the languages questions select Other and then type in VB.Net. AT THE END of the survey where it asks for any other comments, Let them know what you think about VB.Net not being in the list of language options. Also spread the word to every VB programmer you know and have them take the survey as well.

Re: Why isn't VB.Net an option in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey?

I didn't see COBOL in there either...who is going to fight for that?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Vb6 wasn't listed either.... but VBA was... *shrug*

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

@Tyson... Neither was RPG. But then neither RPG nor Cobol are #6 on a list of Most Popular Languages (seems like RPG should be). That doesn't mean they shouldn't have been options, but the 6th Most Popular Language should dang well be on any list of options when someone is asking "What's your favorite".

@techgnome... I agree, if your going to have VBA as an option, VB should have been on there as well.

I'm trying to get VB.Net programmers to wake up and realize MS is trying to do to VB.Net the same thing they did to VB6. Personally, I don't want that to happen.

It wouldn't be quite the same thing. .NET is .NET, so you can move from VB to C#. Personally, I think VB is a better syntax than the C-family of languages, and I suspect the C-family of languages of being popular for bad reasons, but that's just me. In truth, it makes little difference.

When VB6 was discontinued, there was no path forwards for people who had extensive work in that language. If VB.NET was discontinued, the path forwards would be C#, for which the conversion from one to the other is trivial. While I believe that SO is wrong to leave VB off the list, I can't say that I'm surprised, either. That's the way prejudice works.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    @Tyson... Neither was RPG. But then neither RPG nor Cobol are #6 on a list of Most Popular Languages (seems like RPG should be). That doesn't mean they shouldn't have been options, but the 6th Most Popular Language should dang well be on any list of options when someone is asking "What's your favorite".

@techgnome... I agree, if your going to have VBA as an option, VB should have been on there as well.

I'm trying to get VB.Net programmers to wake up and realize MS is trying to do to VB.Net the same thing they did to VB6. Personally, I don't want that to happen.
    I was being sarcastic...I've been programming for over thirty years and people seem to want to have a revolt when there favorite language goes by the wayside. There seems to be a number of recent posts along those lines. Funny though, you never see someone wanting to bring back the abacus or the slide rule

@Tyson... I think the difference here is that the abacus and slide rule were replaced with something better (even though you can still get both of them). For .net programming, VB.Net isn't being replaced with something better. There's nothing you can accomplish in C# that you can't accomplish in VB. It's not like it's a lesser or more limited language. They both are compiled down to the same Intermediate Language which is then compiled down to the binaries which run in the exact same runtime. At that level there is no difference. No difference in speed or capabilities. The VB.Net compiler is written in VB.Net. If you can write a compiler in VB.Net there's pretty much no practical limit to what you can do.

The simple truth is it's just a personal preference. If you like curly braces and C style syntax then use C#. If you don't, use VB. I just want to make sure that we still have that choice going forward. Unfortunately it seems that there is some sort of Holy War being waged by C# fanatics against VB. Typical human behavior. Try to eliminate anyone different from yourself.

MS is trying to do to VB.Net the same thing they did to VB6.
    VB.Net isn't being replaced with something better.
    VB6 was replaced with VB.NET. I guess you're saying that it's not better.
    Unfortunately it seems that there is some sort of Holy War being waged by C# fanatics against VB. Typical human behavior. Try to eliminate anyone different from yourself.
    I've also noticed that it's typical human behaviour to exaggerate the situation to a ridiculous extent to try to make their plight seem far more dire than it actually is.

I've also noticed that it's typical human behavior to exaggerate the situation to a ridiculous extent to try to make their plight seem far more dire than it actually is.
    I guess that is what I was trying to say in my own inarticulate way. People whined about COBOL going away, the mainframe going away, a handful of nice languages that didn't survive, VB 6.0 (there are still people here trying to save it), and in this case VB .Net. Who knows what people will be trying to save ten years from know. Microsoft 1000 bit Z-Squared with multiple NULLS

I vastly prefer VB .Net over C#. But my company has changed directions and we are all C# now and it is get on board or bye bye. I suppose I could try and organize some of our staff to resist...but I have a few more years until I retire.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

If a developer works in an environment where the language of choice remains viable than use it although the majority of developer’s environment and demands from their customers many times does not permit a developer to remain with one language in the wild. Having the desired or personal choice and in control then stay static while when this is not possible seek out viable alternatives. There are plenty of developers who still find using classic Visual Basic and VB.NET and with that pump out solutions for customers while others don’t have a choice either because of customer demands or that classic Visual Basic or VB.NET will not cut it. Personally I’ve been working with Microsoft program managers and the Microsoft document team to assist with customers/developers to work with VB.NET yet there are roadblocks such as no plans for Razer pages and scaffolding Entity Framework Core along with other features that C# developers have that VB.NET developers will never have. Making a choice for this or that language should not be personal when it block what another language can do which means C# may not be the right choice nor VB.NET or classic Visual Basic. Select the best tools for the task at hand.

King of sapila

Call me schizo but I would much rather prefer C over VB6 and VB.Net over C# .
    C# is not C in any way anyhow. It was just a poor attempt from Microsoft to lure C users to .NET and whadoyouknow, it worked.!Amazingly programmers adapted something stupid and made it big. Meh.

I remember when .NET was first out, our IT Manager gathered us and said, "well you are working with C++ so you will go for C#", "you are working with VB6 so you will go fro VB.NET" . I wasn't at a specific language at the time as I was mostly doing admin and networking duties and I was given the option to select what I want.
    So I went like....Ehhh,mmmmm,hhhhh that is NOT C! nor C++. This looks awkward, so I match rather go with a close enough known and worked language, so VB.NET
    Slow as hell.

You're schizo.

All mainstream programming languages are converging on the C-family syntax. Java, JS, and others, are taking on the C-syntax, and even VB has taken on a few pieces (<< and >> operators, along with +=). I'm not sure why this is, but I've always felt it was because C code, with its abundance of symbols rather than letters, just looks more arcane. The semicolon and case sensitive nature of the C-family are anachronisms. The fact that they still persist suggests some morbid desire to appear complex. VB almost looks like language. C# does not. Probably makes it easier to convince the pointy-haired boss that you're doing something special.

King of sapila

Or maybe back then they just tried to keep it as simple as possible and close to assembly language ans simulated memory blocks of code or the file size did matter and they preferred int x rather than Dim x as integer.
    All in all after assembly C is my favorite language, although it's been years since I wrote even a single line of code in it
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    C# is not C in any way anyhow.
    You say that as though anyone ever claimed that it is. C# was a response to Java, not C/C++. Just like Java and many other languages, C# is based on C syntax. That's it, that's all.
    It was just a poor attempt from Microsoft to lure C users to .NET and whadoyouknow, it worked.
    Firstly, it was more of an attempt to lure Java developers to Microsoft. Secondly, if it worked then it was objectively not a poor attempt.
    Last edited by jmcilhinney; Feb 14th, 2020 at 08:10 AM.

King of sapila

Well kudos for MS then.
    I still say they took a shoot in the dark.
    Slow as hell.

I still say they took a shoot in the dark.
    Anyone can say anything they like without justification.

King of sapila

Yep.And not having to explain to anyone.
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Anyone can say anything they like without justification.
    And we have a president that proves that every single day...

Yep.And not having to explain to anyone.
    That is certainly true, but whether they do or not depends on how important it is to them to be taken seriously. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is no similar entitlement to have that opinion respected.

King of sapila

Exactly.
    That goes for everyone. Let alone forum talks.
    (kinda missing programming in C right now)
    Slow as hell.

(kinda missing programming in C right now)
    I'm surprised at that, it's kind of a US thing. After all, it's the first line of our national anthem: "O say can you C?"

King of sapila

General Discussion / Chit Chat ?
    Slow as hell.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

General Discussion / Chit Chat ?
    I was thinking the same thing, this is a discussion and not something related to a question regarding how to do something in code.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm surprised at that, it's kind of a US thing. After all, it's the first line of our national anthem: "O say can you C?"
    That was clever, I like it. lol