PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
[RESOLVED] Stopping code execution-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] Stopping code execution

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Stopping code execution

I am working on a program that the must enter specific data information. If that data is not entered I want to stop all code execution, BUT NOT THE PROGRAM.

I had want I wanted working, but just recently added a second command button that executes the same code. So I moved the code in question to a called sub. Until I moved the code I was using exit sub, so now when the exit sub command executes it continues and runs the next called procedure. I do not want this.

I tried Stop, but that is like a debug stop point and not want I want.
    So basically I am asking are there alternatives to exit sub?

Am I going to have to write my own "stop" code?

Re: Stopping code execution

Could you set a boolean that you check periodically, and then nest it inside of the running sub and the main sub?

VB.NET Code:
    1. If CheckForStop = True Then Exit Sub
    Oops, There it goes. Yep... my brain stopped...

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frabulator View Post
    Could you set a boolean that you check periodically, and then nest it inside of the running sub and the main sub?

VB.NET Code:
    1. If CheckForStop = True Then Exit Sub
    For clarification, from what you are saying there is no statement to do what I want.

Fanatic Member

As posed, your question is somewhat nonsensical. If the user has entered invalid data, you don't need to stop your subroutine code, you just need to not call your subroutine code in the first place.

An oversimplified example. Imagine I've asked the user to enter a positive number that I've stored in the variable "a", and I have code in a subroutine that I want to call that does some processing with that number.

Code:
    'Button click code
    If a > 0 Then
      PerformCalculation(a)
    End If
    That's it. You don't see any "stop" code, because there doesn't need to be. If the user enters a negative number, the Calculation subroutine isn't called. The way to "stop" the subroutine from executing is to simply not start it when the input isn't valid.

That being said, because you didn't post any of your code, we can't give you specific guidance on how to make your own code work.

Return is probably a bit better than Exit Sub, though it really makes no difference that I'm aware of.

Still, I agree with OB1 in that what you're asking doesn't make sense the way it is asked. We'd probably have to see the code, but I interpret what you are doing as having a series of steps, one of which is calling a Sub. If I understand you right, under certain circumstances, you want not just the Sub to quit, but whatever called the Sub should also quit. If that's the case, then rather than a Sub, use a Function, and return a Boolean from it.

Inside the Sub, where you had Exit Sub, put Return False, but also be sure to Return True at the end of the function, or it will return False by default. Then, where you call the function, it would look like this:
    Code:
    If YourFunctionhere() = False Then
     Return
    Else
     'The code to keep on going can go here.
    End If
    My usual boring signature: Nothing