Thread: Parallel port

Angry Parallel port

I have an old system controlling relays via parallel port. I wrote new software but I have problem with the communication with parallel port.
    I wrote a dll file in VB6 using inpout32.dll.
    Working well with vb6 program, even loaded to my latest vb net program, but its stops by error as inpout32.dll not found. I tried to add but of course cant because it is not supported by it.

Any idea how to solve?

Re: Parallel port

shall I use a vb6 program what communicate with the main vb2019 program on 127.0.0.1

The .NET Framework includes a class that provides functionality for communicating with serial ports but no such thing for parallel ports. Here's some information about working with inpout32.dll in VB.NET:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...Reading-Writin

When using pinvoke, you need to have the DLL either in the same folder as your EXE or in the Windows system folder. You don't reference the library in your project.

Fanatic Member

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...light=inpout32

You must follow the installation instructions carefully - see post #13 in that thread.

The code only works on a PC with a genuine parallel port on the motherboard. I could not make it work with an add-on PCI card. Definitely not going to work with a USB to parallel converter.

I can't offer any additional help as I do not have a suitable PC any more.

Hello,

You could use an intermediary card such as an arduino (for a low cost). You can communicate with your arduino via the serial port and program the arduino to translate into parallel language. The best would be to use the arduino to directly manage your relays (that what I have done recently). It may be a bit of work but it will solve a lot of problems.

I think it exists also parallel board you can connect to a Raspberry PI but install VS on a PI, I am not sure you can do that.

Regards
    Last edited by Delaney; Feb 3rd, 2020 at 04:35 AM. Reason: correcting typo...