Thread: No desktop icon/shortcut was installed.

Lively Member

No desktop icon/shortcut was installed.

My visual basic project is finished, tested, compiled, published, deployed to a flash drive for setup, performs great.

However, contrary to what I remember VS 2019 stating (or it could have been an internet page concerning how to publish in VS 2019), there was no desktop icon/shortcut automatically added via application setup on my tablet that I am using for testing my application.

While it is no big deal to add a desktop icon to the program after installation, it would be more convenient for the user if one was added to the app via setup.

So am I remembering wrong (that the icon was supposed to be automatic) or missed something in the process of release/publish/deploy process?

Re: No desktop icon/shortcut was installed.

That's not a VB.NET question. This site has a forum dedicated to Application Deployment, so I have asked the mods to move this thread there.

In the mean time, how exactly did you deploy? Are you using ClickOnce, which includes the Publish wizard built into VS, or some other deployment technology? Also, what type of application is it, e.g. WinForms?

I just took a look at the Publish page of the project properties. If you click the Options button and then select the Manifests section, there is a check box for a desktop shortcut that is unchecked by default. If you didn't check that box then you wouldn't get a desktop shortcut. Assuming that you are using ClickOnce, you should have looked through those options for yourself before posting here.

Thread moved to the 'Application Deployment' forum, which is where questions about installing/distributing your software belong