Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

I think I'll hoard something that others aren't already hoarding. It's a whole lot easier, that way. If you try to hoard moon floss, you'll be fighting everybody else. I just can't quite decide what it is I want to hoard. Stocks are looking cheap and plentiful, so that's one option, but I'm inclined to hoard something edible, yet durable...like Twinkies.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I think I'll hoard something that others aren't already hoarding. It's a whole lot easier, that way. If you try to hoard moon floss, you'll be fighting everybody else. I just can't quite decide what it is I want to hoard. Stocks are looking cheap and plentiful, so that's one option, but I'm inclined to hoard something edible, yet durable...like Twinkies.
    You might want to consider hoarding candy corn...my understanding is they just made one big batch back in the fifties and that was it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of Corona Virus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

PowerPoster

I think Candy Corn is really just the seed for planting Circus Peanut bushes.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of Corona Virus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”
    Just bumping for the "in your face" reminder at summer.
    Take care,thanks.

P.S.
    99 Cases in Greece....Gooooo foorrr 100!!!! Go go gooooo!!
    99 cases 1 death.

1 Case in Turkey. Long live the dictatorship!
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Just bumping for the "in your face" reminder at summer.
    Take care,thanks.
    That is a recent quote from Trump...I wanted to see how people responded.

King of sapila

OK.
    No prob, see you in a couple of months when the... FLUE goes away.
    Slow as hell.

OK.
    No prob, see you in a couple of months when the... FLUE goes away.
    Unless all those Syrians on your border get it and crash through...

It will be news when the number of corona virus cases in the US passes the DOW. Looks like they'll pass each other headed in opposite directions, at this point, the only question is where and when.

King of sapila

Unless all those Syrians on your border get it and crash through...
    Turkish agents and other tribes.
    5% Syrians.
    Syrians are quite welcome. The rest are quite unwelcome.
    Slow as hell.

Turkish agents and other tribes.
    5% Syrians.
    Syrians are quite welcome. The rest are quite unwelcome.
    We have a president who is going to be out of a job in a few months. He loves to build walls. Maybe you can hire him.

I'm somewhere between some of the Draconian measures being taken and saying just let it run it's course. I'm sixty-five so I guess I'm in the risk group. I don't think "shutting the world down" will stop it. Probably common sense measures the CDC and WHO recommend is the way to go.
    I'm pretty much of the same mind... I think I'm slightly less riosk, but not by much (47) ... I'm actually less worried about the effects on me directly than I am about how this is going to inconvenience me.
    The company I work for is doing a corp-wide work from home experience... most of us here at this office are like, meh... we did this a few years ago when the place burned down. We also routinely WFH just because traffic here is a royal pain. So for most of us thisisn't much of an experiment, but something we always do. But, it will be interesting to see how things in the rest of the company pan out. (they want to know what would happen if they decide to send everyone home to work for a month) ...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Same here.
    Unfortunately I'm one of the few that will "close the door" after everyone else works from home.
    Slow as hell.

The Economist ran an article suggesting that companies may learn from this that working from home is more cost effective. If productivity stays up, then WFH may prove to be considerably cheaper than renting office space. Of course, do we then get home office expenses? I've never considered it because I don't care all that much. Once the mortgage was paid off, I didn't have enough items to itemize. Perhaps that would change.

I've worked from home two to three days a week for years, anyways. I may just use this to do more of that. It saves about $5/day in gas money, so it certainly does add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The Economist ran an article suggesting that companies may learn from this that working from home is more cost effective. If productivity stays up, then WFH may prove to be considerably cheaper than renting office space. Of course, do we then get home office expenses? I've never considered it because I don't care all that much. Once the mortgage was paid off, I didn't have enough items to itemize. Perhaps that would change.

I've worked from home two to three days a week for years, anyways. I may just use this to do more of that. It saves about $5/day in gas money, so it certainly does add up.
    I only work from home when I have to...the Vodka bottle is too close.

What a shock:

Trump’s travel ban sidesteps his own European resorts
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...resorts-126808

I'm more alarmed about the part where Cobra is meeting to do something. Where's G.I. Joe when you need them?

Stopped at Kroger's on the way home and noticed all the toilet paper is gone, canned food shelves are getting bare. When I was young we were so poor we had to eat dirt, and we were damn glad to get it. I guess I'll be making mud stew soon.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Mar 12th, 2020 at 02:46 PM.

I swung by Home Depot on Tuesday and saw somebody heading out with two large packages of TP. At the time, I was mildly curious whether or not that was a bit of hoarding.

Personally, my stocks just dropped a bit. I'm sure everybody wants to know that.

Frenzied Member

I've been essentially self-quarantined for weeks. Only been out twice in the past 2 weeks for groceries, in and out, no face touching, etc. Hand washing immediately when getting home, put stuff away, wash hands again. Only a couple of confirmed cases in my state, none closer than an hour away.

Today I started having early symptoms (massive diarrhea, malaise, no appetite). I keep telling myself I'm just overly stressed out and anxious about this whole thing, and have decided to take a break from essentially spending my waking hours following everything Covid-19 online.

If I have it I should start to get a fever in the next day or so, followed by a dry cough. Not that I expect anyone here cares, but I will update in the next day or so what happens. If you don't hear from me in the next 4 days, then it must have gotten bad.

I will say this - if I have it, then God help us all - there must be hundreds of thousands of actual cases right now in the USA.

Frenzied Member

Just took my temperature. 99.4. Crap.

Thankfully I'm in the age range where I might get away with just a mild (basically take it easy at home for the next week or so) case.

I'm going offline from everything except binge watching Netflix the rest of today. I'll post an update tomorrow.

Never stop laughing.
    Never stop learning.
    Never stop yearning.

How accurate is your thermometer? A temperature of 99 isn't a big deal unless you believe the thermometer is spot on, or low. When I give blood, my temperature wanders by about a degree (though usually low), so I wouldn't be worried about that.

Still, if you are right that the nearest case is 100 miles away, and you actually have covid...that would certainly be alarming. Of course, you might just be sick. That's not out of the question, either.

Do you think it could be the stress of it all just wearing you out/down?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

NBA - cancelled
    NHL - cancelled
    MBL - preseason cancelled, reg season indef postpone
    NCAA basketball Tourney - cancelled
    DisneyLand & WDW - closing indefinitely

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Today I started having early symptoms
    The symptoms of Covid are a cough and a temperature. A temperature pretty much always comes with generally feeling low on energy. Are you getting any kind of cough?

The symptoms you've described don't sound like Covid and is probably an unrelated stomach upset. Not meaning to trivialise it for you because you're still probably feeling awful either way. A stomach bug would be much better news than Covid though.

there must be hundreds of thousands of actual cases right now in the USA
    I wasn't ready to criticise Trump's response earlier in the thread because I knew very little about it but I've read more over the last week and, yeah, I'm more ready to criticise now. The level of testing you guys have done is woefully low. European countries with less than a tenth of your population are issuing more tests than you are. You've got very few documented cases but that's hardly surprising if you're not looking for them. And finding out how many tests you've actually carried out is pretty close to impossible because the whitehouse are doing their usual job of disseminating as much miss-information as they possibly can.

Pence has quoted one and a half million tests being available but that's not the same thing as being applied. Other sources can only actually verify a couple of thousand actually being applied. Even if you consider that partisan and multiply it ten fold you're still running a fraction of other countries. And, honestly, why is that number not published and readily available? It is crucial to planning your response.

So yeah, Trump has gone from calling it a hoax... to saying it's less harmful than flu... to flight bans! (Excepting the UK of course, because it's not like we're connected to the rest of Europe by... say... a tunnel that can be freely travelled through. And why the UK anyway? With the exception of Italy and Spain we're not looking any healthier than anywhere else in Europe.)

Seriously, the handling of this has been cynical beyond my ability to reason. At this point Trumps narcissism is literally risking human lives.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Mar 13th, 2020 at 05:16 AM.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The money handlers at McDonalds were wearing latex gloves when I stopped by this morning.

PowerPoster

Did you just do this to us
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

Sure wasn't my intent. This doctor has been fairly calm and sober about presenting factual information.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Sure wasn't my intent. This doctor has been fairly calm and sober about presenting factual information.
    Just listened to it and it is serious. I thought it was meant to be humorous when I first looked at it.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Haven't had time to watch it all the way through but watched the first few minutes and, yeah, he seems pretty measured.

I watched the conference he's referring to last night and it was very good (even Boris managed a bit of gravitas). It felt like the UK approach, at least, is measured and science based. We're almost certainly going to be locking down at some point soon but it feels like the timing will be informed by the scientific community so we're not too soon or too late (either is damaging in different ways). Of course, there's still a massive amount of guess work involved but at least we're starting from a good platform.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

Funky - the early symptoms can vary, and diarrhea is one of the potential early symptoms.

"So while the virus appears to zero in on the lungs, it may also be able to infect cells in the gastrointestinal system, experts say. This may be why some patients have symptoms like diarrhea or indigestion." This is just one quote from a NY Times article about it.

I was up all night. I slept maybe 5-15 minutes at a time a few times throughout the night. No trips to the bathroom other than to drink water to stay hydrated, thankfully.

I feel very, very slightly better today than yesterday. Part of me hopes this is Covid and that I got the mildest form of it just so I will have gotten over it. If it is something else, and I would get Covid on top of it right now, I'd be in a world of hurt.

Once someone recovers from it can they get it again?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Well officially got the news, LAUSD is closing Monday. Kids have to stay at home and most likely will be doing remote classes

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

OB1: Don't talk yourself into it. I tried hard to talk myself into two illnesses...well, actually, I didn't. I knew I had been potentially exposed to whooping cough, so I went and got tested. That TOTALLY sucked. The test is simple, and is about as much fun as having a long swab shoved up your nose till it almost touches your brain...mostly cause that's what the test entails. The inside of your skull itches for a long time afterwards.

I then went to get tested for strep throat, which almost caused me to lose my lunch.

The test for COVID is almost certainly one of those two, so I'd like to avoid it just to avoid the darn test. Still, both of those times I thought I could reasonably have something more than a cold, they both came back negative. Better yet, I recovered within a day or two of being tested in both cases. So, if you feel you have been exposed, it may be worth testing for, but if it isn't worth testing for, then don't talk yourself into it.

In case anybody hasn't heard, Trump may also have been exposed. He was at a function with a Brazilian minister who has tested positive.

That would put an interesting twist on things.

Hyperactive Member

A small program done very quickly and coarse to graph the trend of positive cases day by day (by province and total Italy) using the data of the civil protection.

Un piccolo programma fatto molto rapidamente e grossolanamente per rappresentare graficamente l'andamento dei casi positivi giorno per giorno (per provincia e per l'Italia totale) utilizzando i dati della protezione civile.

VB6 download Covid Italy

When new data available update this line in Form.Load

Code:
        DateEnd = "12/03/2020"

Frenzied Member

Shaggy - definitely not trying to talk myself into it. If anything, I'm still optimistic that it was either something I ate or just stress/anxiety over the whole situation.

That being said, it was just announced that a positive case was found in the city I live in, and that the person had been sick for over a week. So, that makes it slightly more plausible that I was exposed.

The classes in our province have been suspended for a month even if no one tested positive, and all those coming from the cities/municipalities with positive cases will be quarantined for 14 days. I think this is a good step to prevent the spread here in our area as I am unsure of our capacity to cope up if it spreads and spreads wide. I am now mostly the only one getting out for work and my family is just staying home. I have alcohol in my pocket and bag, always using them whenever I touch something in the public (like ATM, doorknobs, etc), hopefully that is enough to keep me from the virus.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Once someone recovers from it can they get it again?
    I think I may have read somewhere that we don't develop an immunity to it, just like a common cold/flu, we could get it again. I may be wrong tho.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast