Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1926272829
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1130

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

PowerPoster

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

That's appalling! Especially given that she's front line medical staff. I hope she turns out OK and my thoughts are with her.
    Thanks FD, fortunately after 5 days her fever is gone and she is feeling better. But because of the difficulty to get tested, she has no idea if it was COVID - 19 or some other bug. Unfortunately, the administrators at the hospital where she works at pretty slimy people. Since the start of the pandemic they have done all they could to withhold PPE even when it clearly violated the established procedures for working with infectious patients. When an employee does get infected, they try and withhold workers compensation benefits saying they can't prove they got infected at the hospital.

To be honest she is dreading going back to work on the 8th. In the last two weeks the hospitalizations have jumped from 56 to 121 COVID patients. ICU is @ 70% full. With the spiking cases in our area these may be going up significantly in the next couple of weeks.

Please everyone do all the health care workers a favor and wear a mask. They have to wear one 12hrs a day while working, surely you can handle wearing one for and hour while your shopping.

Sorry for preaching (not really) lol

PowerPoster

All of the talk about mask shortages was probably about the N95 and similar types.

Simple "one use" paper masks were being doled out like candy here when I was going to the Wound Clinic here in March and then when I was admitted to the hospital in April. Followup doctor visits since then involve going through a screening station where they'll offer you another if you don't bring your own face covering.

I keep one in the car and 3 more here at home. I seldom go out anyway, but when I do I have a mask to hand. I'm not too worried about them wearing out and they always dry thoroughly between uses anyway. The one in the car sees long stretches of high temperatures (black car, sits in the sun many hours each day).

PowerPoster

I wonder how much of the recent rises in cases might be due to increased use of air conditioning as the weather warmed up? More people huddling inside with windows closed.

None at all in Idaho, I'd say. We've had an impressively cool and wet spring. We did get a few hot days in there, but I've almost turned my heat back on at couple times in late May and throughout June. For us, it's hard to see the rise as being related to anything other than the reopening. A few dozen cases were traced back to a pair of individual bars that managed to each host a super spreader.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Here in Ca. one of the major concerns of the Governor is 4th of July family gathering. I can see his point, my GUESS is that there wouldn't be a lot of mask wearing at family gatherings. With 9,000+ new cases yesterday and hospitalizations on the rise it seems like we're in a very fragile situation. But like usual it will take two or three weeks to see the results. Seems like that's my favorite phrase, "we'll see in two or three weeks".

PowerPoster

Yeah, it looks like most of the highly inflamed states are only now approaching the peak of their first wave.

Name:  cali.png
Views: 18
Size:  5.0 KB

Funny how many states have a similar daily cases curve and others followed a different curve in common.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I wonder how much of the recent rises in cases might be due to increased use of air conditioning as the weather warmed up? More people huddling inside with windows closed.
    I wonder how much cases are going to go up with Trump's Mount Rushmore event?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I wonder how much cases are going to go up with Trump's Mount Rushmore event?
    Ole Pumpkin Head wants a second term and he doesn't care how many people he kills to get it.

PowerPoster

Is air conditioning helping spread COVID in the South?

“As people go indoors in hot weather and the rebreathed air fraction goes up, the risk of infection is quite dramatic,” Nardell said, adding that the data, while gathered related to tuberculosis, would apply to any infection with airborne potential.

Sure, but since the rises are not just in areas that are doing a lot of air conditioning, that can't account for more than a small fraction of the rises. After all the rise is being seen without air conditioning, and when you take that amount out of the rise seen in the south, you end up with the rise that can be due to air conditioning, and that can't be all that much.

Besides, for the years I lived in south Florida, I only remember being able to turn off the air conditioner for a few days each year, and that was in late December and early January, before the virus showed up. South Florida is one of the places that is seeing a rise, now, but didn't see a huge initial outbreak, despite the fact that most everybody would have been using air conditioners since February.

So, while it does make sense, I don't buy it as a significant factor in the recent outbreaks.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1926272829