dcsimg

Thread: Unusual W10 compatibility problem

Fanatic Member

Unusual W10 compatibility problem

On one W10 machine where I have installed Vb6 following Dan Brust's excellent procedure, my IDE is working fine, with the elastic band in red, compatibility set to Vista (Service Pack 2). On two machines where I had VB6 already running under W7, the IDE now has sluggish control placing whatever compatibility settings I set, even those identical to the correctly running machine.
    Thanks all!

Re: Unusual W10 compatibility problem

Quote Originally Posted by el84 View Post
    On one W10 machine where I have installed Vb6 following Dan Brust's excellent procedure, my IDE is working fine, with the elastic band in red, compatibility set to Vista (Service Pack 2). On two machines where I had VB6 already running under W7, the IDE now has sluggish control placing whatever compatibility settings I set, even those identical to the correctly running machine.
    Sorry to here that
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

. . . compatibility set to Vista (Service Pack 2)
    Don't do that! Just leave it be as is w/o touching compatibility properties.

. . . the elastic band in red
    What color is it supposed to be?

. . . the IDE now has sluggish control placing
    This is something you either get used to (like me) or use compatibility shims (and never be able to test any Win10 dependent code in the IDE).

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post

This is something you either get used to (like me) or use compatibility shims (and never be able to test any Win10 dependent code in the IDE).

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I would like to return to control outlines being visible as I manoeuvre them (as used to be under W7) Blue BTW, though I'm happy with red as shown on my W10 from the start laptop. I'm confused by the lengthy threads on shims, and the above comment about inability to test W10 dependent code (what is that?) . Can some kind person give me some idea of how to fix the problem?. Sympathy is nice (LOL) but a solution would be nicer. And simple solution simply explained would be gold to this simple near octogenarian poster!
    Thanks all!

Do you use a manifest on VB6.exe?

AFAK dragging controls has (lagging) problems only when such manifest is used.

I'm personally using a manifest both to enable comctl6 UI features in the IDE and to mark its process supporting Win10 so that GetVersionEx API does not lie being on lower version and thus prevent most of the new Win10 APIs from functioning in my apps while being debugged in the IDE.

I'm not aware of a solution to dragging controls lag *while* applying usable VB6.exe manifest. Hope someone chime in and prove me wrong though.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

How do I check whether a manifest is being used (default?)?
    Thanks all!