dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Purchase of Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional

Resolved [RESOLVED] Purchase of Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional

Hello gentlemen.

I bought a VB6 Pro from an ebay-like website in my country where the product belonged to a bankrupt company. Then I called Microsoft asking if I could use the product and they said no, where they claimed that the ownership right is not transferable. I do not know if they gave the right information because I called other times and was answered by other people and was not questioned, but the call fell in the middle of the conversation.

I'm asking you why I always see you talking about getting VB6 on ebay.

Re: Purchase of Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional

Interesting. Did you read the EULA that 'should have been' included in the sale (located on the case, the CD, or elsewhere)? THAT will tell you.

1-Are you using it for commercial means, or for self?
    2-Was the owner the original owner (makes a difference)?
    3-dilettante will pipe in soon...:-)

Sammi

PowerPoster

As far as I can tell only Retail SKUs of VB6 and VS6 are transferable. For example those sold under OEM and System Builder licenses never were, just as with Windows itself. Other kinds of packages probably include some SKUs licensed as part of an Enterprise Agreement.

The EULA that came with retail packages describes what must be turned over in order to accomplish a legal transfer. From the sound of it even the original box must be provided, though that's probably a little ridiculous.

The only way I know of that is fully legal for sure is through an expensive MSDN Subscription (or its modern equivalent).

I wouldn't have said anything but the comment above made it nearly irresistible.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

I wouldn't have said anything but...
    You're fooling nobody, dil
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

(Smiling!!!!)

Eula Contract:

1. LICENSE TO USE SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
    1.1 General License Grant. Microsoft grants to you as an individual, a personal, nonexclusive license to make and use copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for the sole purposes of designing, developing, and testing your software product(s) that are designed to operate in conjunction with any Microsoft operating system product. You may install copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on an unlimited number of computers provided that you are the only individual using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. If you are an entity, Microsoft grants you the right to designate one individual within your organization to have the sole right to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT in the manner provided above.

5.6 Software Transfer. The initial user of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT only directly to an end user. This transfer must include all of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). Such transfer may not be by way of consignment or any other indirect transfer. The transferee of such one-time transfer must agree to comply with the terms of this EULA, including the obligation not to further transfer this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Name:  Sem título.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  65.0 KB

1 - Has a large box
    2 - Two Programmer's Guide Books
    3 - Small Books
    4 - CD VB6, MSDN, VISUAL STUDIO 6

The books are in my native language. The software is in English.

PowerPoster

Perhaps the issue is that you did not acquire it directly from the original user?

I called microsoft and an attendant asked for the cd serial to see the record. But in the middle of the conversation the call dropped. I called back and another attendant came up with another conversation I couldn't transfer. But the Eula contract says something else. They told me good luck and finalized the attention. Vb6 no longer registers online, so I guess they no longer want to resolve discontinued software issues.

You have the retail version. Enterprise versions didn't come with that kind of packaging. As long as you have the original CDs and the product key you're good.

Fanatic Member

You know what, you have it so keep it, use it, and quit worrying about it.

I am creating an ecclesiastical manager from scratch. I am creating my own components (ocx and dll) and still MainEXE. I will distribute them later, with an expiration date of 2030. I don't want to have problems with Microsoft.

Sincerely doubt you will (have problems with M$). Too small of a fry. (Not a lawyer talking here, but sincerely doubt you'd run into any issues.) As I said earlier, the acquisition for the FIRST buyer is COMPLETELY legal (you saw that in the EULA)...but if it was NOT the first, I simply would not be concerned (if it were I).

I've purchased at least a dozen VB6 IDEs from eBay and never had a problem. And I've never heard of anyone having a problem. And, truth be told, for a language they refuse to continue selling, it's Microsoft who may have some legal liability. And they certainly can't come after anyone for buying a "Boxed (even if open) Copy" and then using that licence, for a product they've refused to sell for many years.

IMHO, every time this comes up, I think this discussion of the legality of buying a genuine VB6 IDE CD with all the trimmings, is just nonsense. Microsoft doesn't care. We don't care. What's the problem?
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

IMHO, every time this comes up, I think this discussion of the legality of buying a genuine VB6 IDE CD with all the trimmings, is just nonsense. Microsoft doesn't care. We don't care. What's the problem?
    Okay then. If there are no problems I will go on.