dcsimg

Thread: Not really a question, just looking for ideas

PowerPoster

Not really a question, just looking for ideas

I have a project I've been working on for quite a while and I would like to add new functionality. But I don't just want to add something just to add something. So I would like to ask everyone what type of software do you wish was built into windows? You can have one or several ideas.

I almost started working on a calendar program, but there are plenty of those out there. Other things I've thought about is disk drive monitoring, or showing ran usage of displaying private bytes. But I didn't think any of those would be good either. It doesn't have to be something that already exists, in fact in can be something new no one has addressed yet?

I hope no one minds me asking a question like this, and thanks in advance for any ideas :

Re: Not really a question, just looking for ideas

I'd guess that the majority of us think about THAT question to varying degrees. However, it isn't .NET specific, and not quite coding, so I moved it here, where you tend to get more thought out answers...or none at all, you never know with this sub-forum.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Thanks Shaggy. I will try to remember to put questions like this here!

Quote Originally Posted by jumper77 View Post
    So I would like to ask everyone what type of software do you wish was built into windows?
    I wish Windows came with a more comprehensive utility1 that allowed the user to safely uninstall/reinstall any component or feature of the OS that he/she deems unnecessary (like e.g., the .NET framework). As we all know, every new version of Windows is more bloated than the previous ones (Microsoft constantly adds new features2 and only a few of them are really useful to a lot of people). It would be great if there was a built-in tool that allowed us to completely remove any component we have no need for so that we'll have more space for stuff that we actually use.

1 I'm aware that Windows does have such a utility (the Turn Windows features on or off dialog box). What I'm looking for is a more powerful version of it, similar to the Component Removal functionality of NTLite.

2 I'm not saying adding new features is bad. I just wish Microsoft made every one of them optional.

PowerPoster

Hi, that sounds like a pretty good idea. And it will take a lot of thought. Are you saying that you would like to uninstall a version of .NET framework, but make sure no other software depends on it? Plus be able to reinstall it if you want to?

I'm not sure some components can be installed... Would it be ok to just disable them?

Forgive me, but I'm still trying to understand what you are saying. Sounds like a good idea, just need to make sure I understand it.
    Thanks for the reply

Are you saying that you would like to uninstall a version of .NET framework, but make sure no other software depends on it?
    I'm thinking of something similar to what the NTLite program is doing—in order to uninstall a particular component, other components that depends on it will be uninstalled as well.

Plus be able to reinstall it if you want to?
    Yes. And if the component to be reinstalled depends on another component that is currently not installed, then that will be installed as well.

I'm not sure some components can be installed...
    Yeah, that's something I wish Windows allowed—the addition or removal of as many components/features as possible.

Would it be ok to just disable them?
    Well, the goal is to make room for other files, so the component(s) shouldn't just be disabled, but deleted as well from the HD.

Forgive me, but I'm still trying to understand what you are saying. Sounds like a good idea, just need to make sure I understand it.
    You've actually understood it quite well.

And it will take a lot of thought.
    Yeah, for sure. A lot of Windows components depends on other components, so the logic of the resulting program will definitely be very complicated. And if the program will be targeting several Windows versions, then the complexity will increase even more.

If you ever decide to pursue this, then I suggest that you add this functionality in the form of a plugin DLL that can be loaded/unloaded dynamically and installed/uninstalled at will. This is in keeping with the purpose of the software, which is to reduce bloat by removing unneeded files.

PowerPoster

Yes, it will definitely be complicated. And thanks for saying I understood it well. I downloaded some software from "JetBrains" called "DotPeek" and was able to select files to see which version of .NET they were running, and on my own machine, almost every version is used beginning with 2.0 and going up to about 4.8 (I think).

I also found out where the installed versions are in the Registry. It's more cryptic than using DotPeek, but you "can" find the different versions installed. And of course I opened my uninstaller (Advanced Uninstaller) and it shows what versions of .net are installed on the computer. however, it doesn't show that version 2.0 is installed, yet some of the software says that's the version they are using. Perhaps they have the framework in their executable directory??

The hardest part of this is going to be making the software intelligent without any guess work. But I still have a lot more searching to do and maybe I will find something. Also, this might get pretty boring for people to read about this on the site and if you would like to talk by email instead, just send me a pm with your email address.

talk again soon

I don't remember the hierarchy completely, but I believe that .NET 3 through 4.5, or so, are all based off 2.0. Perhaps it was just 3 and 3.5 that were based off 2.0. It was something like that. Therefore, if you were using 3.5, you were using 2.0 as well, effectively.

However, I wouldn't be uninstalling any of the .NET stuff anyways. One of the reasons people like VB6 so much is because the runtime is bundled with Windows, so you don't have to distribute it anymore to run VB6 applications. The same is coming true for .NET. I have a program that I distributed to a variety of states without any installer. Everybody was able to copy the exe to their computer and run it, which means that everybody already had the .NET framework installed. That's far nicer for people, cause then you're just sharing a tiny exe file rather than the framework.

I'm not too supportive of removing the bloat from Windows. I can understand the reasoning, and for some people it would be very relevant, but I can get a terabyte SSD for a hundred dollars, and install half a dozen of them in my computer. So, as long as the feature could save me some little hassle down the road, I say: Bloat away, I can't be bothered to care!!
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Haha.... you make me think Shaggy. I have to tell you though, for grins, I uninstalled everything except version 4.6.1 (which is what my program is using) and everything has been working fine so far. I even uninstalled all 4 of the Azure files. I would not be comfortable doing it that way, but I just wanted to try. I was surprised when everything worked fine...

PowerPoster

Hi Millennial, I've been doing a lot of thinking about your project and have decided not to do it. It's a worthy program, but I will admit that I worry about hurting my PC just by working on it. I think it's a great idea, and still may try to take it on sometime later.

I do admit though, that you really came up with a good suggestion, so if you have any others, feel free to tell me more ideas. One thing I've had on my mind lately was how to make an internet connection faster by changing some of the TCIP parameters. I would really like to be able to do something like that, but I have very limited knowledge about TCIP.

The last thing I added to my program was the ability to make the desktop darker. And I figured out a way where it will only work on the desktop, not on other running applications. I did this to make it nicer to watch movies. I can make the desktop pretty dark, but the video player is still nice and crisp

Hope you are enjoying this holiday time of year!

Just thought of one other thing. I have the ability to delete a file to the recycle bin by selecting it from a context menu. But later I added the ability to delete a file permanently, but I can also "undelete" the file if the user wants it back. And when the user thinks he doesn't need to undelete files anymore, there's a selection on the context menu (where all these things are) that will allow the user to delete the "undelete" cache of files.
    Last edited by jumper77; Dec 27th, 2019 at 02:38 PM.

King of sapila

I have 3 things in mind.
    1)A Windows7 simulator for windows11 so all the crapness can stop.
    2)An embedded Linux version so we can use Windows for something else rather than gaming.... Now that I think of it. Scratch that will only make them look more pathetic.
    3)A new OS that needs Windows as prerequisite so it can deleted them and install over.
    Slow as hell.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I have 3 things in mind.
    1)A Windows7 simulator for windows11 so all the crapness can stop.
    2)An embedded Linux version so we can use Windows for something else rather than gaming.... Now that I think of it. Scratch that will only make them look more pathetic.
    3)A new OS that needs Windows as prerequisite so it can deleted them and install over.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. But I have no idea of how to simulate Windows 7 and I'm not really sure if I would want to. I was very happy when Windows 10 came out and I've not had anymore problems on it that I have on the other versions of Windows.

And ok on the "scratch that". That is someone I wouldn't want to do either

About the "New OS", I'm 65 and don't think I would live long enough to create a new OS, lol. But the program I'm working on for this is a desktop replacement program. The Windows 10 desktop goes away and IMHO, my desktop looks a lot better. The files are in listview mode which is what I've always liked the best and I know many people feel the same way. But beyond the desktop, everything is still windows.

So for grins, here's a look at it's current state...

Name:  Clipboard-1.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  25.4 KB

It's hard to tell how good it looks on the small image (I posted a full screenshot). But maybe you can get a little idea of what it looks like. I did delete the first image I uploaded and uploaded the one you see now because I made the icons bigger so maybe it will look better on the smaller screen.

To me, my software is Windows 11 (ha ha). Because to me it's a much better looking desktop Also, if you want to check it out, I could get you what you need to run it. I don't have an install program yet, and the files would be pretty big. Would have to find somewhere we could put big files. Just a thought...

PowerPoster

A couple of thoughts about some things I've been thinking about, is making transparent graphs for memory and CPU usage. I would already have them, but in all my years of programming, I've never had to do one...

But I don't want to clutter the desktop up too much. If I did the graphs, the user could select whether to show them or not through the main Context Menu

King of sapila

The desktop looks indeed better than W10. In any way, i think any graph environment will look better than W10. Even W3.1 that I was bashing on another thread looks better than W10.

Ah, you said CPU usage. I remember trying to get the CPU temperature without using OpenHardwareMonitor DLL . Turns out ,after disassembling, that MS had a Temperature class that was empty(!). So you could make an add on that will get CPU usage, Fan speeds etc, without using external dll's. I was writing a C class to do that but I got occupied with other issues (aka got a job at a multi national company, so I don't have the time) and stopped the effort.
    So that would be good to have.
    Slow as hell.

PowerPoster

Thanks for the complement on my desktop. All folders that are not shortcuts are always at the top (sorted by name). Folder links are in the file section after the directories I just talked about. The file section is sorted by name as well.

Sorry you weren't able to finish your work with your hardware monitoring. I think I'm going to try that myself. Just have to do some research on some things. And you mentioned writing in "C", when I was working I did C++, but after I retired I went to vb.net because I've always loved VB. Just wish VB was as fast as C++, lol

King of sapila

You really can't access core hardware components with .Net . Even .Net has C "hidden" for accessing components.
    I'm not sure if C libraries are compatible with C++ .
    I also did C++ but my dissertation was based on Unix firewall manipulation that was a straight out C one on one so I had to do it in C.
    All in all , I can't really understand any C++ code if I look at something today but if I ever need to do something on low level then I would have to remember my youth again, although I would probably be preferring straight C. Or use the King (assembly).
    Slow as hell.

PowerPoster

It took me a LONG time to finally get C++. And if I needed the most speed I could get, I would use plain C code. There's nothing faster except maybe Assembler. And I took one semester in college in Assembler and it taught me that I would never want to program in that language, ha ha.

I got some code working for Hardware Info, but now that I see it, I don't think I want to do it. There has to be something more useful that I could do, so I'm back to thinking about what to write again

King of sapila

Well.
    I think assembly or C is the base for my No1 suggestion as I believe the basic instruction for a loading OS screen must be written there.
    BTW.Assembly rulezzzz!
    Hah, I just recalled a new installation of a colleague PC with W11 today. Lol that idiotic color changing when running the new OS. I did something similar back in the days with Pascal and it looked better than this. Maybe I should send them the code so they can include it as an upgrade in a newer version. LOL.
    Slow as hell.

PowerPoster

That's funny! Is there really a Windows 11 out there? I thought that was just a hoax?