dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Reference Library Version Usage

Resolved [RESOLVED] Reference Library Version Usage

I didn't see any forum that fit this question and search didn't reveal anything, so I am posting it here. I think, but not sure, this may apply to any programming language. I'm pushing 80 and decided to learn programming. So I have started with Access, VBA & vb.net to program a few apps for my use.

I have not found any documentation for the following question and have not quite got my feeble mind wrapped around it. While I understand what reference libraries do and are used for, I do not understand if I need to make all versions of the same library available to my programming apps.

I.E.: As an example: Do all versions of the "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Lirary" (2.0 thru 6.1) need to be actively referenced (tools=>references=>checked) in VBA or is 2.0 updated and included in 6.1? If I actively reference (check) only 6.1 will that automatically include all versions?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Reference Library Version Usage

Welcome to VBForums

You should only reference each library once, but which version you should use depends on circumstances, and can be awkward to figure out.

In terms of ADO which you asked about, if your work will only be used on Windows 7 or higher then ADO 6.1 should be fine (it includes the same functionality as earlier ones).

The same idea is true of VB.Net, but there you would want to use ADO.Net instead of ADO.

Our Database Development FAQs/Tutorials (at the top of the Database Development forum) contains examples etc for working with databases from "Classic VB" (including VBA) and VB.Net

Re: Reference Library Version Usage

Thank you. That helped.