dcsimg

Thread: Do you drink beer?

Do you drink beer?

Do you drink beer? If yes, which one is your favorite?

Android OpenGL ES Guru Jacob Roman's Avatar

Re: Do you drink beer?

Yes. I have a couple of favorites. Corona, Yuengling, and Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen, which is my wifes favorite as well.

Yes. Root beer.

The only beer mentioned on this topic I have tired is Corona. I have to find and try the others.

I like Krombacher, Carlsberd, Paulaner. Still havent decided between white and dark, but will get to it once I drunk these many time

Budweiser and Skopsko Smooth are the cheaper i like

I used to drink a bit but never all that much and I haven't had a drink for probably 15 years now. Never really enjoyed it that much and mostly just did it when I was younger because that's what you do, until I grew out of that attitude. I've had three glasses of beer in my life and find it repulsive. I know that many things are an acquired taste but beer is one thing I can't imagine ever enjoying or why I would even try to acquire the taste. There are things that I don't like but I can understand others enjoying but beer is not one of them. Obviously they do but I just can't understand why anyone would enjoy it. Now, as you were.

PowerPoster

Everything that jmc said except opposite. Drank Budweiser for 40 years, now in my old age I've slowed down and drink Michelob Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Everything that jmc said except opposite. Drank Budweiser for 40 years, now in my old age I've slowed down and drink Michelob Ultra.
    Clearly we were separated at birth.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Clearly we were separated at birth.
    I was happy to drink your share for you. Any chance you could share some brain cells? Think I may have dain bramage.

I've never had more than a sip of beer in my life. That sip was quite enough. It was a sip of Guinness, which some folks quite like, but for me it reminded me of a really unfortunate experiment in maximizing my calorie to weight ratio for backpacking. I decided to carry pancake mix and cook it over a Whisperlite stove in a pot. That doesn't work, because the stove cooks too hot, and you can't flip anything in a pot. Therefore, I had to keep flipping the batter constantly, with the result that I ended up with a solid ball of dough. As far as taste went, it wasn't bad. As far as calories went, it was pretty awesome. Unfortunately, as far as digestion went...it wasn't great. I was burping up some nasty, yeasty, gas for hours afterwards. While I was probably managing about 2,000 calories out of one of those meals, the after effects were unpleasant....and when I took a sip of Guinness, well, it brought that memory right back, cause it tasted just like those burps.

I can do without that just fine.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I was happy to drink your share for you. Any chance you could share some brain cells? Think I may have dain bramage.
    We make quite the team.

Bud Light.

I'm with jmc and shaggy on this.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.5.2)

I don't have problem with weight. And the thing I like about beer is that it makes you a bit drunk, but not too much.
    And also I am not a skilled drinker, so... meaning I cannot consume large amount of alcohol at single time
    I like to watch a good movie and drink beer. But as I said, one half liter bottle of beer is enough for me.

One beer a week is enough I think. So you spend your working week and then, you go to the pub and drink one half liter of beer. Its refreshing
    Last edited by kutlesh; Dec 8th, 2019 at 05:51 AM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

It was a sip of Guinness
    Well that's your problem, right there. Guinness is not where you start out. The only men who are manly enough to enjoy Guinness from the start are from Macclesfield. True fact.

Just curious, are you guys separating "beer" from "lager"? Or is that purely a British distinction? Personally I'm a lager drinker when I'm out (tends to be wine at home) as I don't have a beard and am therefore unqualified to drink beer.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Well, by that standard, I'm pretty well qualified to drink beer, but it sounds like you might be a "lager indicator".

King of sapila

I don't have a problem to admit that in Greece, we don't really know much about any other beer type than the regular Yellowish piss.
    That may well be that it probably is not one of the things we invented back then (although I won't put my hand in the fire for that, maybe we did).
    To people that complain about beer, I can say to give it a try on a good beer, not piss.
    I don't enjoy beer when it's cold or relatively warm outside , so probably 8 out of 12 month I don't drink beer. On my vacation I usually drink 2 beers every day with food that I take from the Fridge and leave it in the freezer compartment for 20-30 minutes, so they would be extra cold.
    Now, a good beer will probably be something that is not the standard Yellowish and is Reddish or Black.
    Of course Guinness and Murphy's are really good. My favorites are the good ol' canned Guinness, Fisher (with the pop cork bottle, not the other commercial shait), KOZEL dark and Paulaner but the one with the white wig person in the label not the other regular mediocre. Of course any other Red or Black worth as shot. There is one Belgian beer called Gulden Draak that has over 10% alcohol that shoots you right in the head and I enjoy that also.
    Other than that, for a regular yellowish piss, I can compromise with a Greek one or, let's say an Erginger, but I prefer to support Greek brewers.

Edit: Last summer I could not easily find the white wig Paulaner in the markets, only the regular one. It goes to show that we don't really have a clue about a good beer.
    I've yet to find a good Greek beer I can compare to the others. Allegedly there is one called "Fresh Xios (it's a Greek island) bottled beer, that is supposed to be good but I can't find one.
    I need to go to a mega market for that and I don't really enjoy going to a gigantic one as the lines for the cashier would be miles and miles long.
    Last edited by sapator; Dec 9th, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Slow as hell.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Well that's your problem, right there. Guinness is not where you start out. The only men who are manly enough to enjoy Guinness from the start are from Macclesfield. True fact.

Just curious, are you guys separating "beer" from "lager"? Or is that purely a British distinction? Personally I'm a lager drinker when I'm out (tends to be wine at home) as I don't have a beard and am therefore unqualified to drink beer.
    Yeah, never heard beer called anything but beer around here. I'm a lager man too, never liked Guinness are any dark beers. They're like drinking a meal, I like something light and refreshing.

I must say I'm disappointed in the programmers who said they tried beer once and never drank it again. That's like saying you kissed your grandma and didn't like it so you never kissed anyone again. I think one of the major strengths of a programmers personality is curiosity. Now I fully understand choosing not to drink as a lifestyle choice but you must remember that you are part of a proud community and damn it, programmers are not quitters !!!

Well, in all things, I tend towards the sweeter, so root beer is my preferred type. The rest...not so much.

Frankly, I don't see the point. Beer seems more ritual than anything else. If you're drinking it to get drunk, it's just not cost effective. If you're drinking it for enjoyment...well, most people have said it's an acquired taste. I could probably acquire a taste for beets, too. I just don't see any reason to do so. Therefore, it seems mostly like a social ritual, which is something I'm generally pretty good about avoiding.

King of sapila

I don't know everyone interest in beer it but I can say that in Greece we don't really do it to get drunk. Well at least after 18 years old.
    Also drinking brands like Heineken or Amstel or Budweiser, well then I'm on Shaggy's side. It's a last resort and it's mediocre and below. There are brands however that will elevate the experience that goes along with food.
    I guess it's on anyone good taste whether will like it or not but I can't say that, here, is like a social ritual.
    Anyhow I could probably see your point as I just put myself in a "drinking wine" situation. Never liked wine, even good brands, so I guess some people just don't go with certain drinks. But, just one or two times and a global assumptions that beer is not good? Give a little try to the good brands.
    Slow as hell.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I must say I'm disappointed in the programmers who said they tried beer once and never drank it again. That's like saying you kissed your grandma and didn't like it so you never kissed anyone again
    Yeah, my Gran was proper hot!

Also, JM, how can you call yourself an Aussie if you don't like lager?! All Australians drink the amber nectar while sporting inappropriately small budgie-smugglers. I know because Paul Hogan did a documentary about it back in the 80s.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I tried Paulaner couple of times. In the markets here it costs like 1.5 euro per half liter can. I was astounded how much foam it creates once you pour in some amount of it in a glass

Which one is called Paulaner white wig?

This one:

Name:  Paulaner2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  84.7 KB

Or this one:

Name:  Paulaner-M-nchner-Hell-05-zhb.png
Views: 79
Size:  178.3 KB

Or neither of those?
    Last edited by kutlesh; Dec 10th, 2019 at 04:24 AM.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Do you drink beer?
    You might as well have asked, "Are you an Englishman?"

Of course i drink beer of all types, i am not a particularly big drinker but i like a pint or to at weekends with friends and while i am happy to drink most premium lagers i do like a pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord, which is about as smooth a beer or ale as you can find.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by kutlesh View Post
    Which one is called Paulaner white wig?
    I Mean this bad a$$ :
    https://www.totalwine.com/beer/lager...-bock/p/846126

I had the "pleasure" to be a student in England a long time ago.
    What strike me was that people where drinking beer from the early morning. I've never seen people do that in Greece, with the exception of drunk addicts but I guess it's the habit there (I don't recall seen people drink simple water but then again, I recall that the tab water was not drinkable and they even put up a warning for that).
    Can say that I enjoyed any English beer at that time but then again I was more on finishing my course, rather than drinking and partying out.

Also.
    I would appreciate any advice on beers rather than the usual ones (aka NOT yellow) that you have actually tasted. I'm making a list for summer drink gargantuation!
    Last edited by sapator; Dec 10th, 2019 at 05:36 AM.
    Slow as hell.

Heineken or Dos Equis are my beers of choice now a days. I used to drink Corona back in the party days but acquired a better pallet lol. i like to drink a couple of beers on a hot summer day while doing some yard work or after.I rarely drink though as a 12 pack will last me a year. I have too much to do and not enough time so I dont want to be lazy by drinking. I have had a couple of Guinness and just couldn't acquire that taste. Reminds me of black licorice which I hate.

I feel its a social thing to drink beer for the most part. Go out and relax as the alcohol does to you and hang with friends.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I used to drink Corona back in the party days but acquired a better pallet lol.
    Was this why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ19qh4g2-o

PowerPoster

i like to drink a couple of beers on a hot summer day while doing some yard work or after.I rarely drink though as a 12 pack will last me a year.
    Doesn't sound like you do much yard work. lol

King of sapila

Heineken or Dos Equis are my beers of choice

I feel its a social thing to drink beer for the most part. Go out and relax as the alcohol does to you and hang with friends.
    Heineken? No wonder you hate beer.
    Yes its a social thing, so as drinking wine or eating with people and smoking.
    It's one thing to say that drinking is a social thing and you drink for that matter and another to say that you enjoy drinking a good quality beer.
    I enjoy drinking a good quality beer. In Greece and when we gather out for dinner most will prefer wine. As I've said I hate wine and I go for beer. So in that sense I'm anti social, but I'm not, because I enjoy the beer and I'm not imitating other wine drinkers.

So presumable there are the beer lovers, the beer socializes and the beer haters.

I prefer the beer aficionados to write because, as I've said, I would like to try some new brands. But good brands, not, Heineken, brrrrr. That and Amstel is like drinking your own piss ( not that, that, I have tried to )
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by kutlesh View Post
    Do you drink beer? If yes, which one is your favorite?
    I used to but I never really liked it. If I was to order a beer it would be a Budweiser. I have probably drank less than a couple six packs in the last decade. Now if we want to start talking about vodka that's another story.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

King of sapila

I can't drink vodka with food. If I could, there is one that I can't recall the name,eerr, prebus, pribus or something that is the king among vodkas but is very expensive.
    I had a friend that new the owner of a club that served this and we where treated with that good ol' , but haven't had one for years now.
    And by saying that, I almost always drink the beer with food. A specific beer type will go along real fine with a specific food type.
    For example a Fisher will go well with pork and a Guinness, well it goes well with everything.
    Also a dark beer must be really really cold but a red beer can be a little less cold.Also, you don't freeze, unfreeze and freeze a beer again. It's a one of, else the taste changes for the worse.
    Slow as hell.

I can't drink vodka with food
    That's in line with an old axiom I believe in...you should NEVER drink on a full stomach
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I drink the occasional beer. My preference leans towards the Sam Adams line. I do not like IPAs, find them to be too hoppy, tastes like I'm sucking on a pinecone. I really like their Cherry Wheat when I can find it. When I can't get their Boston Lager though I fall back to Blue Moon, or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. Don't really care for most of the domestic beers except for Coors or Miller Genuine Draft, everything else seems too watered down.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

She looked like Pamela Anderson after nine Coronas

I have to also agree that I don't like Amstel and Heineken. But Carlsberg and Kromabacher are my fav for now.

She looked like Kim Kardashian after nine Coronas

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Sam Adams
    Sam Adams is a nice beer

I do not like IPAs, find them to be too hoppy, tastes like I'm sucking on a pinecone.
    agreed
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

King of sapila

Those are pretty much what you will find in a big Supermarket in Greece:
    https://www.e-fresh.gr/el/kaba/krasi...order=position

From these, the best Greek beer for me is this one: https://www.e-fresh.gr/el/mpyra-mayr...ix-dark-330-ml .
    And those I haven't tasted but I would really really like to: https://www.e-fresh.gr/el/mpyra-hert...restige-500-ml
    https://www.e-fresh.gr/el/mpyra-hert...-dubbel-500-ml
    I never have seen theme on my local supermarkets so I'm marking them down for an order at summertime along with some Fisher, Paulaner and KOZEL.

Edit: I've seem some Greek market pages and there are a lot more that I can get online so that is great!
    The below seems more for pro but it's shows what I can find in Greece.
    https://www.themart.gr/kaba/mpures.h...list_limit=120
    Last edited by sapator; Dec 12th, 2019 at 10:21 AM.
    Slow as hell.

Doesn't sound like you do much yard work. lol
    Hey! I actually did some yesterday. Cleaned up the back yard, pulled big arse weeds and mowed. Then threw out some dirt. Trying to level the yard and have a looong way to go.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    No sound at work but from the comments it looks like a weird al song. No, not why i think lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

No sound at work but from the comments it looks like a weird al song. No, not why i think lol
    That video without sound would be decidedly....weird.