dcsimg

Thread: MVVM and where stuff goes.

MVVM and where stuff goes.

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I have posted.

I have a question about MVVM and the separation of concerns. I understand MVVM at a high level, it is when I get into the details that it becomes confusing.

View = UI -No explanation required.

ViewModel = Business Logic (Validation, data type conversion, data formatting between the View and the model, exposes properties to the view for data binding.)

Model = Objects = Properties of the business object (Person, Invoice, Lists of people, Lists of invoices.)

My question is, where do the methods to retrieve data from the source (database, flat file, etc.) live?

Thanks,
    Bob H

Re: MVVM and where stuff goes.

Quote Originally Posted by bholahan View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I have posted.

I have a question about MVVM and the separation of concerns. I understand MVVM at a high level, it is when I get into the details that it becomes confusing.

View = UI -No explanation required.

ViewModel = Business Logic (Validation, data type conversion, data formatting between the View and the model, exposes properties to the view for data binding.)

Model = Objects = Properties of the business object (Person, Invoice, Lists of people, Lists of invoices.)

My question is, where do the methods to retrieve data from the source (database, flat file, etc.) live?

Thanks,
    Bob H
    The ViewModel is really only the View Logic, it shouldn't contain any business logic at all. The ViewModel's role is really to simplify how the View interacts with the user and the Model.

In MVVM the Model is really describing your business domain and it is where the business logic should be implemented, often the Model will be a separate service or component in your architecture.