dcsimg

Thread: Accessing Session variables on top window of a classic ASP site on windows 10

Accessing Session variables on top window of a classic ASP site on windows 10

Hello:

I would appreciate it if someone who is familiar with Classic ASP on windows 10 and JavaScript to consider my question.

I am trying to settle a classic ASP site which I moved from windows XP to windows 10. Everything was working fine on windows XP.
    The current problem on windows 10 is that when I load a page into the top window of the site the session variables are lost ‘although the session Id remains the same’.

To be clearer, consider testSite /page_1.asp.
    And the page_1.asp includes the following lines:
    Response.write “<br>---sessionId=” & session.sessionId ---> lets say sessionId is 1234567890
    Session(“sessionVar”) = “sessionValue”
    <a target=’_top’ href=’/testSite/testFolder /page_2.asp’>Click to redirect</a>

When I click the link ‘Click to redirect ‘, the page_2.asp is loaded in top window and the page_2.asp includes:
    Response.write “<br>---sessionId=” & session.sessionId ---> Result is same as in page_.asp or 1234567890
    Response.write “<br>--- the value of sessionVar =” & session(“sessionVar”) ---> Result is empty

If the sessionId is the same on the page_2.asp and so session is not lost, then:

1- why cannot I retrieve the value of the session(“sessionVar”)? If the site’s security is an objective, I don’t know how this could contribute to security if pag_2.asp is called from within the site and the same session is still available in the page_2.asp.

2- Am I missing some setup in the iis?

3- I could open a new window but I do need the same method that was implemented on the windows XP for many reasons. Could anyone tell me please how could I retrieve the session(“sessionVar”) ?

Thank you

Re: Please Delete Me ------- Accessing Session variables on top window of a classic

Quote Originally Posted by sshawn View Post
    Hello:

I would appreciate it if someone who is familiar with Classic ASP on windows 10 and JavaScript to consider my question.

I am trying to settle a classic ASP site which I moved from windows XP to windows 10. Everything was working fine on windows XP.
    The current problem on windows 10 is that when I load a page into the top window of the site the session variables are lost ‘although the session Id remains the same’.

To be clearer, consider testSite /page_1.asp.
    And the page_1.asp includes the following lines:
    Response.write “<br>---sessionId=” & session.sessionId ---> lets say sessionId is 1234567890
    Session(“sessionVar”) = “sessionValue”
    <a target=’_top’ href=’/testSite/testFolder /page_2.asp’>Click to redirect</a>

When I click the link ‘Click to redirect ‘, the page_2.asp is loaded in top window and the page_2.asp includes:
    Response.write “<br>---sessionId=” & session.sessionId ---> Result is same as in page_.asp or 1234567890
    Response.write “<br>--- the value of sessionVar =” & session(“sessionVar”) ---> Result is empty

If the sessionId is the same on the page_2.asp and so session is not lost, then:

1- why cannot I retrieve the value of the session(“sessionVar”)? If the site’s security is an objective, I don’t know how this could contribute to security if pag_2.asp is called from within the site and the same session is still available in the page_2.asp.

2- Am I missing some setup in the iis?

3- I could open a new window but I do need the same method that was implemented on the windows XP for many reasons. Could anyone tell me please how could I retrieve the session(“sessionVar”) ?

Thank you
    Please Delete Me

Re: Accessing Session variables on top window of a classic ASP site on windows 10

Not sure what you are wanting to do here with regards to that delete me request. If the question is resolved, you can just go to the Thread Tools menu and mark it as resolved. It doesn't have to go away, but since there aren't any replies, it CAN go away, if that's what you'd like. If that's the case, could you report the post? It's the small black triangle with an unrecognizable exclamation point (!) in it to the left of the reply options at the bottom of the posts.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing