dcsimg
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    97

    Resolved [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

    Something is wrong:
    Because I have been using windows ever since DOS and cassette taps storage, I have been a little paranoid of loosing my work on Windows, even Win10 which I am using now...here is the issue:

    I am on my second project now. I have a Projects Folder that I backup regularly but have been noticing some strange things if I want to go back to an earlier revision. Today I noticed that my Project is being accessed from my One Drive, which I did not setup, I always use my Programs Folder.

    I need to move this Project Folder to my Programs Folder. All the files are identical in both locations except that the OneDrive has a lot of git files and folders where they dont exist on my Programs FOlder on my C:\ Drive.

    QUESTION:
    How can I move my entire Project off of my OneDrive and onto my folder choices on my C:\ drive Do I manually copy everything except the git files and folders. I dont want to loose my work and I dont know how to backup everything from my OneDrive because it ignores my copy utilities.

    OneDrive appears to look like Dropbox but I dont think it works the same. If it did, all I would need to do is just do a copy. I am afraid now to do anything as I might loose my work...any help Y'All

  2. #2
    .NUT jmcilhinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    103,450

    Re: Strange Backup

    If you have git-specific files then that suggests that you are using git somehow. They wouldn't just materialise out of thin air for no reason. Do you have a DevOps account that is being used for source control? That uses git on the backend so that would explain those files.

  3. #3

    Thread Starter
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    97

    Re: Strange Backup

    Yes, I did experiment with git but found it too involved because it caters for many developers sharing files. This has to be amazing software to keep track of everybody. For me, I just need to PUSH my project someplace from time-to-time so that it is captured and Date Filed. I'm not sure if the DevOps account is free or not, cant afford too many bills as of yet.

    What troubled me most it that I started my development of this new project on my internal drive which I can backup easily and then I found I was using my OneDrive as a repository, I dont think I did that myself. I am now copying my OneDrive Projects Folder to by RAID for backups. When using VS2017, I could copy a backup to my Project Folder and restart VS and all was well. With VS2019, this had issues and did not use the backed-up files. This is when I noticed that I was now using my OneDrive. As I was copying my backed-up files over to my OneDrive for additional Cloud Storage I was actually writing over my latest files...a scary moment.

    I will revisit git one more time today and see if I can get this Source Control resolved...thanks for such a quick response jm.

  4. #4
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: Strange Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by BasicBasic View Post
    Yes, I did experiment with git but found it too involved because it caters for many developers sharing files. This has to be amazing software to keep track of everybody. For me, I just need to PUSH my project someplace from time-to-time so that it is captured and Date Filed. I'm not sure if the DevOps account is free or not, cant afford too many bills as of yet.

    What troubled me most it that I started my development of this new project on my internal drive which I can backup easily and then I found I was using my OneDrive as a repository, I dont think I did that myself. I am now copying my OneDrive Projects Folder to by RAID for backups. When using VS2017, I could copy a backup to my Project Folder and restart VS and all was well. With VS2019, this had issues and did not use the backed-up files. This is when I noticed that I was now using my OneDrive. As I was copying my backed-up files over to my OneDrive for additional Cloud Storage I was actually writing over my latest files...a scary moment.

    I will revisit git one more time today and see if I can get this Source Control resolved...thanks for such a quick response jm.
    dev.azure.com is free for 5 users or less, even for a single user git can be a massive help - the ability to make a change and potentially roll it back is ideal. The fact you could also push to any git repo (such as Azure DEv Ops) also gives you a backup that is stored in the cloud and isn't going to be lost if anything happens to your local dev environment.

  5. #5

    Thread Starter
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    97

    Re: Strange Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    dev.azure.com is free for 5 users or less, even for a single user git can be a massive help - the ability to make a change and potentially roll it back is ideal. The fact you could also push to any git repo (such as Azure DEv Ops) also gives you a backup that is stored in the cloud and isn't going to be lost if anything happens to your local dev environment.
    "OK, I know I have to be brave and do this, so now is the time. I know I asked this before, but is there a good link to a YouTube video that can guide me thru all of this...thanks Y'All"

  6. #6
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: Strange Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by BasicBasic View Post
    "OK, I know I have to be brave and do this, so now is the time. I know I asked this before, but is there a good link to a YouTube video that can guide me thru all of this...thanks Y'All"
    Probably, however if you go to dev.azure.com you can signup for a free account and it has all sorts of resources on getting things up and running. It will even sort out your Git repo and give you instructions on how to connect to it.

  7. #7

    Thread Starter
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    97

    Re: Strange Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Probably, however if you go to dev.azure.com you can signup for a free account and it has all sorts of resources on getting things up and running. It will even sort out your Git repo and give you instructions on how to connect to it.
    "I will do it, thanks for all your encouragement ans assistance"

  8. #8

    Thread Starter
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    97

    Re: Strange Backup

    Well, I got Git and the DevStuff. I have this horrible think attitude sometimes. I look at a product, decide how it should work if I designed if, go to operate the product and if it does not confirm to my design approach..."What idiot designed this thing" happens.
    Now I know this is Microsoft and they are a Trillion Dollar Company now (very near to be) and I kept cursing them for the appalling OS that could never get right...but this Dev/Git/Setup could have been done so much easier. I really should not complain though, this VS2007/2009 is a fine piece of work...The Good,The Bad and the Ugly, thanks Microsoft.

    My pain continues, but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel...I do hope its not a Train though.

  9. #9
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: Strange Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by BasicBasic View Post
    Well, I got Git and the DevStuff. I have this horrible think attitude sometimes. I look at a product, decide how it should work if I designed if, go to operate the product and if it does not confirm to my design approach..."What idiot designed this thing" happens.
    Now I know this is Microsoft and they are a Trillion Dollar Company now (very near to be) and I kept cursing them for the appalling OS that could never get right...but this Dev/Git/Setup could have been done so much easier. I really should not complain though, this VS2007/2009 is a fine piece of work...The Good,The Bad and the Ugly, thanks Microsoft.

    My pain continues, but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel...I do hope its not a Train though.
    Is there a particular problem you are having? Is it to do with setting up DevOps or getting Git to work correctly?

  10. #10
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

    I've moved your thread to the General Development forum. It's not specifically VB so this should open it up to a slightly wider audience.

    I'd recommend sticking with Git to get past the initial learning curve. It works very well , it puts your back up "in the cloud" which safeguards you against a whole bunch of local catastrophes, and it's become pretty much the industry standard so anything you learn now will look good on your CV. It's definitely a bullet worth biting.

    The only thing I don't like about it is that I prefer a Check Out/Check In model where GitHub is strongly geared toward Update/Merge (I don't think it's even possible to do CO/CO approach, is it?)
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  11. #11
    PowerPoster techgnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    32,563

    Re: [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    The only thing I don't like about it is that I prefer a Check Out/Check In model where GitHub is strongly geared toward Update/Merge (I don't think it's even possible to do CO/CO approach, is it?)
    No... and honestly, I used to be the same way having come up through the Source Safe/TFS world... but now that I've gotten used to git, semi-mastered some of its nuances... I prefer it over the CO/CO method. Part of it is because even though the dev team I'm on is fairy small (5 devs).... there are times when we're working on different aspects oft the same component... and if I have it checked out, Ted can't get his sprint work done. With the decentarilized repo setup of Git, we both can do our work, then when we do a pull request, we first pull down the latest of the development branch, merge it into our working branches... when the PR is then merged, things go a lot smoother because then code conflicts are minimalized. I remember having to do the same junk with TFS and it was a complete pain in the backside.
    I also like being able to quickly switch branches without having to check stuff back in. I only have to commit it to my local repo at the least, at worst i use a stash. And if stuff goes really bad, I can just delete the local folder and re-git it. doing that with SS/TFS ....especially when you still have something checked out..... oh dear lord sweet jesus...
    Now... the thing with Git though is that it takes some getting used to. It's command line driven, which is something thatspooked me initiially... but I've gotten over that. I find using tools for somethings, and the CLI (command line interface) for others works best. the hardest part is getting that first one or two setup... once you do that, use it a few times, it's not a big deal at all.

    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

  12. #12
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,369

    Re: [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

    I think my dislike of update-merge goes back to a particular dev I worked with very early in my career. Nice bloke but he was no respecter of other peoples changes. He didn't so much Update-Merge as Update-Overwrite. And because this preceded techniques like continuous integration and even test driven development, nobody would know he'd done it until much later when the release failed QA. He did that to me ALOT I think there's almost no chance of that sort of thing happening with today's tooling and approaches.

    It's command line driven
    We're using it behind a combination of DevOps and SourceTree and I haven't had to go to the command line for anything yet. It's much easier that I expected it to be when I started using it.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  13. #13
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

    I tend to use a mixture of the CLI, tortoise git / gmaster and whatever is built into the IDE (Visual Studio / VSCode normally), often just depends on what I am doing and what is most convenient at the time.

  14. #14
    PowerPoster techgnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    32,563

    Re: [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    I tend to use a mixture of the CLI, tortoise git / gmaster and whatever is built into the IDE (Visual Studio / VSCode normally), often just depends on what I am doing and what is most convenient at the time.
    Since I'm doing mostly Java development with some front end web stuff - and I'm on a Mac - I use the CLI, VSCode (for managing my merges), and SourceTree (which is fantastic at viewing branches, diffs, labels, and for adding things to commits.)

    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

  15. #15

    Thread Starter
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    97

    Re: Strange Backup

    I think I have things setup now. I can go onto my Azure account and can see both of my Projects there. I don't know what Rev they are. My issue is when I am working on my Code and I know I have a BIG rework to do and would like to Push my current Project to the Cloud and have it add another version of my Project with a date. This way I know which date I need to back to if necessary. Sometimes I would like to Pull a project back to my PC and continue working on that version working.

    I don't see anything that describes the Simple Way I want to use this system. They want to tech the Completed Dev situations with lots of programmers...is there any publication I could obtain. Need help

  16. #16
    Frenzied Member PlausiblyDamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Newport, UK
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: [RESOLVED] Strange Backup

    If you are using Git you can always checkout based on the commit id (the horrible hash displayed against a commit), an easier way is to use a tag though.

    For example if you were about to do something major you could always use something like
    Code:
    git tag <give it a name>
    git push --tags
    That way you could always checkout or revert to the tag.

    Possibly an even better way is to use a branch, for example if you were about to add some new functionality you could do
    Code:
    git checkout -b new-things
    now you are working on a separate branch to the default master branch, if things go badly wrong you can just go back to master and delete the new branch, if things go well you can merge the branch back into master. However all the time you are on this new branch you can still be committing or reverting your changes safely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width