dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sorting a DATE Array

Resolved [RESOLVED] Sorting a DATE Array

Using this simple routine to sort a 2D array, I can sort the first element (Which is a date (mm/dd/yyyy format))...but, it sorts the first element as if it were a string (that is, ex: 1/2/2009. 10/3/2019. 3/3/2010)
    What am I doing incorrectly?

Code:
    Dim myArray(2,50) As Variant

SortArray myArray, 0

Public Sub SortArray(ByRef DArray(), Element As Integer)

Dim gap As Integer, doneflag As Integer, SwapArray()
        Dim Index As Integer, acol As Integer, CNT As Integer
        ReDim SwapArray(2, UBound(DArray, 1), UBound(DArray, 2))
        gap = Int(UBound(DArray, 2) / 2)
        Do While gap >= 1
            Do
                doneflag = 1
                For Index = 0 To (UBound(DArray, 2) - (gap + 1))
                    If DArray(Element, Index) > DArray(Element, (Index + gap)) Then
                        For acol = 0 To (UBound(SwapArray, 2) - 1)
                            SwapArray(0, acol, Index) = DArray(acol, Index)
                            SwapArray(1, acol, Index) = DArray(acol, Index + gap)
                        Next
                        For acol = 0 To (UBound(SwapArray, 2) - 1)
                            DArray(acol, Index) = SwapArray(1, acol, Index)
                            DArray(acol, Index + gap) = SwapArray(0, acol, Index)
                        Next
                        CNT = CNT + 1
                        doneflag = 0
                    End If
                Next
            Loop Until doneflag = 1
            gap = Int(gap / 2)
        Loop
    End Sub

Re: Sorting a DATE Array

Dumb question... how are you adding the dates to the array? Is it possible your sorting function is flawed? Recommend passing a small array, just 3 or so dates and walk it (step by step) and see what's happening.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

as you are sorting variant arrays there is no reason for it to sort as date values, you could try

Code:
    If CDate(DArray(Element, Index)) > CDate(DArray(Element, (Index + gap))) Then

Yes, that would be my thought as well.

As another option, you could break in the array loop and do some TypeName(...) checking of the date values, for instance:

Code:
                    Debug.Print TypeName(DArray(Element, Index)), TypeName(DArray(Element, (Index + gap)))
                    If DArray(Element, Index) > DArray(Element, (Index + gap)) Then
    That will tell you whether or not you're actually comparing two dates. If you're actually comparing dates, things should work fine. If you're comparing strings of dates, that won't work very well at all unless those strings are very well organized as dates (such as yyyymmdd).

Also, I didn't think through your sort algorithm, but I suspect it's something simple, as in how you're putting these dates into the array.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

look in the locals window to see the variable types contained in the variant array

PowerPoster

Date-time values are landmines if you aren't vigilant about avoiding implicit coercion to/from String data. This was probably the motivation behind disabling it in VB.Net via Option Strict.

It feels like we spend an awful lot of threads on this one issue yet the lesson never gets learned.

Why not store actual date values instead of formatted text?

Ah crap!...appears I am putting those 'dates' in as Strings.
    I have a date/time field in an Access Table, but instead of putting that information directly into the array, I had first sent it to a listbox (for other reasons) and split two fields.
    Then I took that split data and put it into the array...hence, strings.
    I'm going to fix that and hopefully all will be well.

@Arnoutdv.....I want to sort by birth dates for display in a grid, as well as then exporting that grid data to excel to pass on to church leaders.

The first sort the original data on the birthday field, then fill the grid.
    While filling the grid you can format the date fields to whatever you like.

Re: [RESOLVED] Sorting a DATE Array

Done...was simple once I was prompted to check HOW I was putting the date information into the array. Some days!!!!!!!!

Thanks all.