Thread: Recipe/order/stock database.

Lively Member

Recipe/order/stock database.

Hey, my wife just started a new home business selling soups, and I want to make her a database to record her orders.

I am going to use a windows forms application and create an object based database from within Visual Studio 2015. Right now I'm working out what tables I need...

The application should hopefully allow her to keep track of ingredients used as orders are filled. I'm thinking I need the following tables...

TblIngredients (list of ingredients)
    TblStock (quantities of ingredients)
    TblRecipes (amounts of each ingredient)
    TblProducts (there will be a multipack product so want to be able to add recipes to a ProductId to save having to always add individually)

TblCustomers (customer details)
    Tble Orders (order details)

The hope is that when a product is added to an order, the system will reduce the held stock by the amount of ingredients used.

Do I have all the tables I need? Do I need to add/remove some?

Re: Recipe/order/stock database.

Sounds OK
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Agree, sounds OK, with one addition/suggestion:
    I'm not sure you need a separate Stock-Table, since i doubt you need backtracing-capability and/or you have different stock-locations for one given ingredient (because of FIFO-principle).
    In that case an additional column "StockQty" in tbl_ingredients" should be sufficient to keep your stock-balance for an ingredient.

Don't get me wrong:
    A separate stock-table makes sense, especially when dealing with perishable items that have a Date of Expiry, but in that case you would have to keep track, when which ingredient was purchased by your wife, so to use the "oldest" stock first, when placing/preparing a client-order. And the easiest way to do that, is to keep different stock-locations for one and the same ingredient, separated by "Date of purchase" or in case the ingredients itself have an DoE on them.
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    Agree, sounds OK, with one addition/suggestion:
    I'm not sure you need a separate Stock-Table, since i doubt you need backtracing-capability and/or you have different stock-locations for one given ingredient (because of FIFO-principle).
    In that case an additional column "StockQty" in tbl_ingredients" should be sufficient to keep your stock-balance for an ingredient.

Don't get me wrong:
    A separate stock-table makes sense, especially when dealing with perishable items that have a Date of Expiry, but in that case you would have to keep track, when which ingredient was purchased by your wife, so to use the "oldest" stock first, when placing/preparing a client-order. And the easiest way to do that, is to keep different stock-locations for one and the same ingredient, separated by "Date of purchase" or in case the ingredients itself have an DoE on them.
    I think when Food is involved there should be FIFO in place

so good advice from Zvoni
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

To expand on that (i'm working for a trading company, for which FIFO is a basic tenet for everybody working there):

To give you an idea how it's done in my company (very abstract of course!):
    we have a table "Stock Locations" that looks kind of like this
    ID
    Designation
    SomeMoreFields
    and a sample entry looks like this:
    ID - Designation
    "123" - "0H-35-05" (read as coordinates)

Then we have a table "Stock Matrix" which basically serves as an "m:m" connecting table between Stock Locations and Products (or in your case "Ingredients")
    ID
    IngredientID - Foreign Key to Ingredient
    LocationID - Foreign Key to Stock Locations
    Quantity
    DateOfPurchase
    DateOfExpiry
    LotNo
    SomeMoreFields

I think you can see where i'm going with this.
    This is a setup for when you allow multiple, different (!) Items/Ingredients to be stocked at the same location (to save space).
    Of course, you run the danger when preparing a client order/recipe, that you "mis"-grab the pepper instead of the salt

If you decide: "No, one stock Location=one Ingredient" then you wouldn't need a "m:m"-table but could directly implement it in the table "Stock Locations" like this:
    Table "Stock Location"
    ID
    Designation
    IngredientID
    Quantity
    DoP
    DoE
    SomeMoreFields

It all depends how you want to set up that shop of your wife.

EDIT: On a sidenote regards your TblProducts containing multiple TblRecipes (Multipack-Thing):
    In that case, never ever sell Recipes directly!
    Your worst case would be a "1:1"-relation between TblProducts and TblRecipes
    IOW: A Product always has at least one Recipe, and a Recipe must be part of a Product and cannot be sold directly (as in: directly entering a recipe in the orders-table).
    You would need a "Matrix"-table between Products and Recipes
    Table ProdRecipe
    ID
    ProductID
    RecipeID
    SomeMoreFields

Your offered Products (TblProducts) would have entries like
    "345" - "Tomato-Soup"
    "567" - "X-Mas Multipack"

ID "345" would have a virtual "1:1" relation with the Recipe "Tomato-Soup" (interrelated through Table ProdRecipe)
    ID "567" would have a "1:m" relation with many recipes as we're used to in an "1:m"-scenario (and the Tomato-Soup-Recipe (!) can appear again here!)
    Last edited by Zvoni; Nov 5th, 2019 at 05:52 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lively Member

Thank you for the constructive feedback. I like the suggestion of integrating FIFO. I have been looking at my tables and trying to get it all orgainised and this is what I have come up with...

Table to store customer information
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblCustomers] (
        [CustID]       VARCHAR (6)  NOT NULL,
        [CustFName]    VARCHAR (20) NOT NULL,
        [CusLName]     VARCHAR (20) NULL,
        [CustAddress1] VARCHAR (50) NULL,
        [CustAddress2] VARCHAR (50) NULL,
        [CustCity]     VARCHAR (20) NULL,
        [CustProvince] VARCHAR (20) NULL,
        [CustEmail]    VARCHAR (75) NULL,
        [CustPhone]    NCHAR (10)   NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([CustID] ASC)
    );
    Table to create order number and associate with customer (one to many) [one customer can be associated with many orders, but each order can only be associated with one customer]
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblOrders] (
        [OrderID]   INT         NOT NULL,
        [CustID]    VARCHAR (6) NOT NULL,
        [OrderDate] DATE        NOT NULL, 
        PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([OrderId] ASC), 
        CONSTRAINT [FK_TblOrders_TblCustomers] FOREIGN KEY ([CustID]) REFERENCES [TblCustomers]([CustID])
    );
    Table to associate an order with one or more product (many to many) [one order can be associated with many products, likewise each product can be associated with many orders]
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblOdersProducts] (
        [OrderID]   INT         NOT NULL,
        [ProductID] VARCHAR (6) NOT NULL, 
        CONSTRAINT [FK_TblOdersProducts_TblOrders] FOREIGN KEY ([OrderID]) REFERENCES [TblOrders]([OrderID]), 
        CONSTRAINT [FK_TblOdersProducts_TblProducts] FOREIGN KEY ([ProductID]) REFERENCES [TblProducts]([ProductID])
    );
    Table to identify products for sale
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblProducts] (
        [ProcuctID]   VARCHAR (6)   NOT NULL,
        [ProductName] VARCHAR (30)  NOT NULL,
        [ProductCost] MONEY         NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([ProcuctID] ASC)
    );
    Table to associate a product with one or more recipes (many to many)[one product can be associated with many recipes, likewise each recipe can be featured in many products]
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblProductsRecipes] (
        [ProductID] VARCHAR (6) NOT NULL,
        [RecipeID]  VARCHAR (6) NOT NULL,
        CONSTRAINT [FK_TblProductsRecipes_TblProducts] FOREIGN KEY ([ProductID]) REFERENCES [dbo].[TblProducts] ([ProductID]),
        CONSTRAINT [FK_TblProductsRecipes_TblRecipes] FOREIGN KEY ([RecipeID]) REFERENCES [dbo].[TblRecipes] ([RecipeID])
    );
    Table to identify individual recipes
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblRecipes] (
        [RecipeID]   VARCHAR (6)  NOT NULL,
        [RecipeName] VARCHAR (50) NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([RecipeID] ASC)
    );
    Table to associate stock items to recipes (many to many) [one stock item can be featured in many recipes but in different amounts, and one recipe can feature many stock items]
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblRecipeItems] (
        [RecipeItemID] INT          NOT NULL,
        [RecipeID]     VARCHAR (6)  NOT NULL,
        [StockID]      INT          NOT NULL,
        [ItemAmount]   VARCHAR (5)  NULL,
        [ItemMeasure]  VARCHAR (15) NULL,
        [ItemWeight]   FLOAT (53)   NOT NULL,
        [ItemCost]     MONEY        NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([RecipeItemID] ASC),
        CONSTRAINT [FK_TblRecipeItems_TblRecipes] FOREIGN KEY ([RecipeID]) REFERENCES [dbo].[TblRecipes] ([RecipeID])
        CONSTRAINT [FK_TblRecipeItems_TblStock] FOREIGN KEY ([StockID]) REFERENCES [TblStock]([StockID])
    );
    Table to identify individual stock items
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TblStock] (
        [StockID]  INT          NOT NULL,
        [ItemName] VARCHAR (25) NOT NULL,
        [ItemUnit] VARCHAR (3)  NOT NULL,
        [Quantity] FLOAT (53)   NOT NULL,
        [ItemCost] MONEY       NOT NULL,
        [UnitCost] MONEY        NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([StockID] ASC)
    );
    The only issue I have right now is whether I need one more table for the FIFO or if it can be integrated into any of the existing tables. Lets say I have the following ingredient listed in [TblStock]

[StockID] "357"
    [ItemName] "Tomato Powder"
    [ItemUnit] "grams"
    [ItemQuantity] "900"
    [ItemCost] "32.99"
    [UnitCost "0.3299"

One bag is purchased on 1 OCT 19, and a second bag is purchased on 1 NOV 19, but I want my stock quantity to show 1,800 grams how would I do that?

In addition to the FIFO question and possibly part of the same table, I need to deduct ingredients as they are used

the [ItemAmount] and [ItemMeasure] fields in [TblRecipeItems] will not relate to stock as they will be the measures as listed on the recipe - teaspoon tablespoon etc.
    [ItemWeight] will be the weight in grams that the measured amount equals so that the value can be accurately deducted from the stocked quantity. [ItemCost] is the [UnitCost] from [TblStock] multiplied by [ItemWeight] in [TblRecipeItem]

Example
    [RecipeItemID] "1234"
    [RecipeID] "SOUTOM"
    [StockID] "357"
    [ItemAmount] "2"
    [ItemMeasure] "Tablespoon"
    [ItemWeight] "6.84"
    [ItemCost] "2.256516"

When a recipe using this line item is added to an order, the Value from [ItemWeight] will need to be deducted from the stock quantity.

One bag is purchased on 1 OCT 19, and a second bag is purchased on 1 NOV 19, but I want my stock quantity to show 1,800 grams how would I do that?
    Easy! Add a Field to table Ingredients (TblRecipeItems) called "SumQuantity" (or whatever)
    I'll leave to you to either
    a) update the SumQuantity withh each transaction from your Frontend
    b) Write a Trigger to do that

As for your second question, let me think about it....

EDIT: @second question.
    Same approach as above
    a) Write an UPDATE-Statement deducting from both Tables/Fields (Quantity in TablStock as well as SumQuantitiy in TbleRecipeItems)
    b) Write a Trigger to do that

btw: don't forget to deduct from/recalculate your Costs (again: Do it yourself from the Frontend or use the Trigger.)
    Last edited by Zvoni; Nov 11th, 2019 at 04:46 AM.