dcsimg

Thread: CodeStats add-in for VB6 IDE

Lightbulb CodeStats add-in for VB6 IDE

Maybe some of you have used Code::Stats for other software development languages. It's a way to track your programming activity for fun.

I'm a huge VB6 fan, and so I stepped up and created a VB6 add-in which sends stats to their server. (Only a count of keystrokes is sent, never any of the actual data.) It's 100% free, open-source, and works under Windows 2000 and higher.

Here's my Code::Stats profile, for reference, and the blog post where I mention the add-in and where to get it.
    https://codestats.net/users/koohiisan
    https://www.lukegerhardt.com/blog/co...6-0-vb6-add-in

Hyperactive Member

Re: CodeStats add-in for VB6 IDE

I'd like to try it but now Installer link seems not to work 404

EDIIT 1

Ok by clicking release (view Raw)

EDIT 2

In my IDE it crashes while typing and
    on exit IDE raise error on ActiveX component...
    and it Removed the Execution Pause Button from IDE.

System: Win7 32bits

Quote Originally Posted by reexre View Post
    Oops, I had a typo in that installer link. I'll fix it right away, thanks!

(deleted duplicate)
    Last edited by Koohiisan; Nov 12th, 2019 at 03:48 PM.

EDIIT 1

Ok by clicking release (view Raw)

EDIT 2

In my IDE it crashes while typing and
    on exit IDE raise error on ActiveX component...
    and it Removed the Execution Pause Button from IDE.

System: Win7 32bits
    O_o
    Can I get a screenshot showing the toolbar area? And, you put in a machine code from the CodeStats site? It will wait until you have 32 keystrokes before it tries to send, and there should be a counter in the toolbar next to the CodeStats button.

I should add that this is my first attempt at creating an add-in for the VB6 IDE, so I'm very interested in fixing any bugs that may be found. It's working for me in all my current VMs (2000, XP, W10), so I thought now might be a good time to introduce this to the community at large.

Hyperactive Member

let's see if I can help:

Yes I Sign in to CodeStats and put the API key

- The crash happens just after typing 32 keystrokes . (Yes I see the Strokes count)

- Reopen IDE and typed less characters than 32, and then exit. Appears error "ActiveX component can't create Object " 429

-Reopen again and toolbar messed up

Disappear Pause and Stop and shows multiple Data

(Win7 32bits)

That helps, I will fire up a 32-bit W7 instance and dig in to this. It looks like it's duplicating the data icons for sure.

The error at exit is because if you have any remaining strokes to be sent it will attempt to do so at exit.

I really appreciate your patience and help!!

(Win7 32bits)
    Can you confirm if you have any service packs installed for Windows 7 *and* for VB6?

Also, FWIW, I created issues for the icon problem and the crashing over on the Bitbucket site. If you want to add any details there or etc, please feel free!
    https://bitbucket.org/Koohiisan/code...ew&status=open
    Last edited by Koohiisan; Nov 13th, 2019 at 02:32 PM.

PowerPoster

Just wondering why anyone would think it important to know how many key strokes they had. Certainly not a measure of experience skill or even time spent. Seems like a pretty useless stat.

Also I should probably point out that the forum is for coding questions and source code as needed. It does not allow compiled files or links to such.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Just wondering why anyone would think it important to know how many key strokes they had. Certainly not a measure of experience skill or even time spent. Seems like a pretty useless stat.

Also I should probably point out that the forum is for coding questions and source code as needed. It does not allow compiled files or links to such.
    It's more a matter of self reflection for me, I can look back and see how much I've coded in certain languages over the years, and which days or months I did more in. I can pick out the days in which I burned the midnight oil coding. Some people like that sort of statistical tracking.

Plus, pretty much all major IDEs have a plugin for this service--even VIM! The VB6 IDE was once a 'major' IDE, and it deserved to have itself and its language represented in this coding stat service alongside C#, Python, PHP, et al.

I have supplied source code. I'm not linking to compiled files at all, although if you browse the source code repo you can find the release file, as well as a link to it from a markdown-formatted readme file. It's not been my intent to misuse this forum, rather, to try and reach the VB6 community with this addin. What means of doing so would you have recommended? Is there a better place to find skilled VB6 developers? I thought not.

Is this useful for some business purpose? No. Is it of interest to some developers? Absolutely. Plus, those who might like to peruse the code of a VB6 IDE addin, but have never written one can certainly learn and help me learn from the open-source nature of this project.