dcsimg

Thread: Looking to develop my SQL knowledge

Looking to develop my SQL knowledge

Hello everyone

I was just having a chat with FunkyDexter and he suggested I join this forum - I would like to help others so I can develop my SQL skills.

Does anyone know of any SQL projects I could volunteer to help with?

Re: Looking to develop my SQL knowledge

I don't but at SQL Server Central there is a daily challenge question and you can go back through the history of them. They are under the heading "OotD". It is free to join but I don't think you need to join to look at the daily challenges. There is also a lot of people looking for help there.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/questions

Here is today's question:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I don't but at SQL Server Central there is a daily challenge question and you can go back through the history of them. They are under the heading "OotD". It is free to join but I don't think you need to join to look at the daily challenges. There is also a lot of people looking for help there.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/questions

Here is today's question:
    Oh that's great, I joined it earlier today but never saw the "question of the day". I think the best way I will get more advanced is what you've said, answer individual questions posted around. I was thinking maybe there will be some kind of project I could join - although I've just remembered I came accross CodeTriage but I haven't checked it out properly.

I would tell you to build your own first.

Start with installing the DB Server on a computer and building databases. Practice backups, restores. Break the DB try and fix it.
    Break the service and try and fix that
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Thanks Gary, appreciated.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

You could also look to answer questions in the database forum here,

if you change the display options to the last month there are a bunch more threads, and obviously keep an eye out for new threads
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Here is the answer to post #2

Quote Originally Posted by tomgren View Post
    Oh that's great, I joined it earlier today but never saw the "question of the day". I think the best way I will get more advanced is what you've said, answer individual questions posted around. I was thinking maybe there will be some kind of project I could join - although I've just remembered I came accross CodeTriage but I haven't checked it out properly.
    There are many great SQL forums including this one so I say this with respect...some of the most knowledgeable posters I have seen are on Tek-Tips. Also the level of complexity regarding the requests for assistance are usually high.

As a side note when it comes to VB 6.0 and VB .Net this forum tops them all in my opinion.

NeedSomeAnswers - will do

Tyson - done, I have signed up to Tek-Tips, it looks like something from the 90s still haha!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Hey Tom, good to see you followed through and joined the forum. Forums are a great place to sharpen up your skills.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I think I'm going to focus on getting the certification below as it's under 60 for me as a student, and when I can I will post on the forums. That way I can easily evidence my knowledge and support it with my previous job roles related to database development.

MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Development
    Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate
    This certification demonstrates your skills as a database professional, for both on-premises and cloud-based databases.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm personally not a fan of the MS certificates (or any other software company's certification program) as they're usually as much about advertising MS to developers than they are about teaching you generally useful skills. That said, 60 is a bit of a bargain so, in this case, I'd say go for it. In particular, search for the learning guides, boot camps etc. The real value's in the learning process.

How does the pricing work these days? I did an MS DB Developer cert years ago and they used to charge to sit the exam rather then for the certificate itself so if you failed it a couple of times (as I did) the cost ramps up pretty quickly. Just make sure you're not going to be stung by other fees you're not expecting.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd