dcsimg

Thread: Problem installing AdBlockPlus to MS Edge

Hyperactive Member

Problem installing AdBlockPlus to MS Edge

Hi.
    When I was setting up my new desktop computer (two weeks ago), I already knew that it would ask for an email address.
    So, before installing Windows 10, I created a fresh hotmail account for that specific purpose because I didn't want to connect my real hotmail to my PC.
    So, now, my Windows 10 knows that new hotmail account.

Then yesterday I reallized that there was an even better option available: To sign in with a local account.
    So, I ditched my Microsoft account in favour of a local account.
    After that, I have restarted my computer.
    So, I log on to my computer using the local account password.

Now, I am trying to add AdBlockPlus to microsoft Edge.
    This asks me to log in to my Microsoft account (that empty hotmail account that I mentioned above).
    It shows that empty hotmail address and asks for its password.
    How does it even know that hotmail address now that I have switched to a local account?
    Didn't Windows 10 forget about that hotmail account when I switched to a local account?
    How can I make Windows 10 forget about that hotmail account now that I have switched to a local account?

Ok. I reluctantly enter the password, but then it asks me to verify that account via either phone or text (sms).

How can I add AdBlockPlus to Microsoft Edge without any account?
    After all, I added Adblock Plus to Firefox and that didn't ask me about any account, so why should Microsoft Edge ask for an account?
    I also added Adblock Plus to the beta version of Chromium-based Edge and that didn't ask me about any account either, so why should Microsoft Edge ask for an account?

And if it must have an account, how do I make it use the local account?
    Or, how do I bypass that verification (via phone or text)

I can't believe Windows 10 has become so intrusive. It even asks my phone number!
    This has become quite frustrating.

Please advise.
    Thanks.

Re: Problem installing AdBlockPlus to MS Edge

You can't use the Microsoft Store without a Microsoft account. Even if you're logged into Windows with a local account, you need to log into your Microsoft account in the Store app in order to install apps from the Store. If you don't want to have to provide a Microsoft account, don;t use any services that require a Microsoft account.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You can't use the Microsoft Store without a Microsoft account. Even if you're logged into Windows with a local account, you need to log into your Microsoft account in the Store app in order to install apps from the Store. If you don't want to have to provide a Microsoft account, don;t use any services that require a Microsoft account.
    Thanks for the advice.

But, if that is the case, why is it so easy to add the same product (AdBlock Plus) to Firefox without any Microsoft account?
    And, why is it so easy to add the same product (AdBlock Plus) to the beta version of Chromium-based Edge without any Microsoft account?

I have already added that same product (AdBlock Plus) to Firefox and to the beta version of Chromium-based Edge and it did not ask for any Microsoft account.
    It is only the standard Microsoft Edge that requires an account.

I really don't get it.

Can you please explain.
    Thanks.
    Ilia

But, if that is the case, why is it so easy to add the same product (AdBlock Plus) to Firefox without any Microsoft account?
    Firefox is not a Microsoft product, so a Microsoft account would not help. Mozilla would like you to have a Mozilla account, but it is not a requirement (yet).

And, why is it so easy to add the same product (AdBlock Plus) to the beta version of Chromium-based Edge without any Microsoft account?
    It is a beta version. Just wait a while, and Microsoft will try to add that also.

I really don't get it.
    It is simple - Microsoft wants your personal information.