dcsimg
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Am trying to figure out how the local host game works and maybe have one done.

    1: client and server over the internet or local host.
    2: once client is connected to servers i can create a room, people can join that room, room numbers can be set to 10 only.
    When you open the client after login you can se other rooms people opened even join the room if slots is available.

    3: once they join the room the host of that room can launch the game and sends a message to server to launch game on other players side to.
    4: once the game starts how do i set the auto click x,y,z so it clicks the options automatically (multi player ) click that and so on.

    5: big question since i do not have server of any kind how can i get friend over the internet to connect to me.will i need noip.org or something.
    I will love to learn more on this hope you can all join in and share your information.
    Last edited by doberman2002; Oct 17th, 2019 at 01:55 PM.

  2. #2
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    12,999

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Well first off how much do you know about TCP/IP and or UDP communications?

    If you haven't worked with Winsock using TCP/IP yet then this is the place to start. There are tons of examples out there that are easily found with google.
    Once you know how to use the TCP then you have to determine what communications you need between your programs in order to get the results you want.

    No you do not need anything other than knowledge/skill. Winsock is totally capable of connecting to another PC over the internet you just have to have the correct IP and port info.

  3. #3
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    20,719

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Well, you have to consider that most people are behind a NAT router, so you'll have to map the port(s) you need from the WAN side of the router to a machine on the LAN side or else look into the "DMZ" features of many NAT routers.

    The DMZ host feature allows one local host to be exposed to the Internet for a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming or video conferencing. The Router forwards packets of all services to the DMZ host. When a PC is set to be DMZ host, it's better to disable its DHCP client function and set a new static IP address to it, because its IP Address may be changed when using the DHCP function.

  4. #4

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Well first off how much do you know about TCP/IP and or UDP communications?

    If you haven't worked with Winsock using TCP/IP yet then this is the place to start. There are tons of examples out there that are easily found with google.
    Once you know how to use the TCP then you have to determine what communications you need between your programs in order to get the results you want.

    No you do not need anything other than knowledge/skill. Winsock is totally capable of connecting to another PC over the internet you just have to have the correct IP and port info.
    i know how winsock and winsock arrays work,i have done client and servers before sir.

  5. #5

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Well, you have to consider that most people are behind a NAT router, so you'll have to map the port(s) you need from the WAN side of the router to a machine on the LAN side or else look into the "DMZ" features of many NAT routers.
    how about a server buying one a simple vps server then have all connected to that and then you will se all connected from client app.
    or maybe windows hosting where you can just run the server.exe have all connected?

  6. #6
    Sinecure devotee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern Tier NY
    Posts
    5,622

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    So, your gaming system is already working on a LAN, and now you're asking about how to expand it to work over the Internet?
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

  7. #7

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    So, your gaming system is already working on a LAN, and now you're asking about how to expand it to work over the Internet?
    yes correct other people can connect via lan on the network.
    Take a look at https://www.gameranger.com/ its lan based network game software.
    People join the server i can be the host of a room then people join then i can start the game and in game i can Se them players because they are joined in my network.

    the main step is creating the client server then having 1 or 2 join the client then start game to se if they can join the game,if they are visible in game lobby then its working.

  8. #8

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host


  9. #9
    Frenzied Member wqweto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,613

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    https://serveo.net - Expose local servers to the internet
    https://ngrok.com - Public URLs for exposing your local web server

    Also, check out cAsyncSocket class if you need something better than Winsock control arrays for these VB6 game server projects of yours or a Winsock direct replacement control for no apparent reason.

    cheers,
    </wqw>

  10. #10

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    https://serveo.net - Expose local servers to the internet
    https://ngrok.com - Public URLs for exposing your local web server

    Also, check out cAsyncSocket class if you need something better than Winsock control arrays for these VB6 game server projects of yours or a Winsock direct replacement control for no apparent reason.

    cheers,
    </wqw>
    nice find thanks.

  11. #11

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host


  12. #12
    Sinecure devotee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern Tier NY
    Posts
    5,622

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    It sounds like it doesn't work properly over a LAN, so it definitely won't work online as is.
    Once it is fixed to work over a LAN, then you will need to modify it to work over the Internet the same as what you need to get your code working over the Internet.

    The situation you're talking about is usually going to cost money each month. Since you can access the Internet, you're probably already paying for access each month, and some ISP's will allow a certain amount of server type traffic, but if the traffic grows to an appreciable amount, you may have to pay for a different type service.

    In post #7 you said you already had the LAN (Local Area Network) based game working.
    It sounds like from that post you want to work with gameranger.com, which you also say is LAN based software, but it looks like it is Internet based (LAN to LAN) software. It makes its services available to Game Developers, so they can host their games on their service and players can play the game over the internet through their service. I don't know how much that costs.

    Did you sign up already to get the details?
    Is setting up your game on that service what you want help with?
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

  13. #13

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    It sounds like it doesn't work properly over a LAN, so it definitely won't work online as is.
    Once it is fixed to work over a LAN, then you will need to modify it to work over the Internet the same as what you need to get your code working over the Internet.

    The situation you're talking about is usually going to cost money each month. Since you can access the Internet, you're probably already paying for access each month, and some ISP's will allow a certain amount of server type traffic, but if the traffic grows to an appreciable amount, you may have to pay for a different type service.

    In post #7 you said you already had the LAN (Local Area Network) based game working.
    It sounds like from that post you want to work with gameranger.com, which you also say is LAN based software, but it looks like it is Internet based (LAN to LAN) software. It makes its services available to Game Developers, so they can host their games on their service and players can play the game over the internet through their service. I don't know how much that costs.

    Did you sign up already to get the details?
    Is setting up your game on that service what you want help with?
    am signed up with gameranger and i maybe know how it works.

    The gameranger is connected to a server all users that open the gameranger client gets connected to the server.
    Then people can open own there host and join his room in gameranger and he is able to shell run the game.exe,of course once the game is started the gameranger must be using shell to execute all other clients game.exe all the same time.

    i want to know in client and server how do i make the game se people in my network

  14. #14
    Sinecure devotee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern Tier NY
    Posts
    5,622

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Sounds like a pretty big effort ahead.
    This sight is a bunch of people volunteering their time to try to help a programmer with a programming issue.
    You're talking about a whole application design issue, not a single programming issue.
    The scope of what you're asking for is much too broad to be addressed here.

    If you can isolate a problem down to a section of code that you are having problem with, show the code, and clearly state what your problem is, then someone can perhaps help you with that.

    If you want help designing a multiplayer game engine, then you may need to find a site that helps people write multiplayer games. This site is not that site, except at the finest level of detail, i.e. fixing a method or algorithm within a method.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

  15. #15

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    142

    Re: Game server+ Game Launcher on server or local host

    Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Sounds like a pretty big effort ahead.
    This sight is a bunch of people volunteering their time to try to help a programmer with a programming issue.
    You're talking about a whole application design issue, not a single programming issue.
    The scope of what you're asking for is much too broad to be addressed here.

    If you can isolate a problem down to a section of code that you are having problem with, show the code, and clearly state what your problem is, then someone can perhaps help you with that.

    If you want help designing a multiplayer game engine, then you may need to find a site that helps people write multiplayer games. This site is not that site, except at the finest level of detail, i.e. fixing a method or algorithm within a method.
    Hi the whole thing is all about gathering information about how to put things together.
    (1) i know how client server works multi.
    (2) need to understand more about LAN,say i have people connected to my server.exe over LAN or internet will the game Se them IP address of people
    (3) what free service or paid i can use to create a server so that my client.exe can join to over internet.
    Last edited by doberman2002; Oct 24th, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width