Thread: [RESOLVED] The problem with Dating

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] The problem with Dating

I have seen a large number of ideas on how to generate a DATE of type Date without all of the conversion from English Format to US format and the inclusion of TIME included
    Dim testDate As String = "01/10/2019" produces: "01/10/2019", perfect
    However converting the string into a DATE Type, never seems to work, no matter what I have tried.

Example:
    Dim testDate As Date = CDate("01/10/2019"), produces: #10/1/2019 12:00:00 AM#, which is not what I wanted. Also, I don't know if the 12:00:00 AM is actually used by the code or is just there for my information, Phantom text.

Dim testDate As Date = CDate("01/10/2019").ToShortDateString, produces the same result

Dim testDate As String = "01/10/2019"
    Dim expenddt As Date = Date.ParseExact(testDate, "dd/MM/yyyy", System.Globalization.DateTimeFormatInfo.InvariantInfo)
    Produces: #10/1/2019 12:00:00 AM#, which is no better that any of them

What I need is: Dim testDate As Date = Function("01/10/2019") and get back the testDate result as: expenddt | "01/10/2019" when I perform a Mouse Over in Visual Studio...No date transformation
    No date transformation
    No Time
    No AM/PM nothing but: Date (as type string) "01/10/2019" to Date (as Type Date) "01/10/2019"

Question:
    Is this achievable and how.

The reason I am interested in doing this is because I am HASHing a Date. I cannot UnHASH the date, but I do know what the range of of the dates are. If I have an arrayDates(4000) and HASH each one separately, I can compare the original HASH and therefore find what the Date was.

Need help Y'All

Re: The problem with Dating

If you can work with strings... You could always format the date in the correct way, like so

Code:
            Dim D As Date = CDate("01-01-2009")

Debug.Print(D.ToString("dd-MM-yyyy"))
    Utterly useless, but always willing to help

As a finishing touch god created the dutch

Hi

like this perhaps
    Code:
     Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Dim d As Date = New Date(2019, 1, 10)
            Dim dateValue As Date = d
            MsgBox(d.ToString("dd.MM.yyyy"))
        End Sub
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggy View Post
    If you can work with strings... You could always format the date in the correct way, like so

Code:
            Dim D As Date = CDate("01-01-2009")

Debug.Print(D.ToString("dd-MM-yyyy"))
    Ummm.... no.... format and value are not the same thing.. that's what the OP is having issues with. One isn't the other.

@OP - Date inherently have a time component... that's why you see the 12:00:00AM ... Again, as I just mentioned, don't confuse the value with the display. As for the month/day flipping ... dates are a funny animal... 1/10/2019 ... is that Jan 10, 2019, or Oct 1, 2019? Depends on where in the world you are. One solution is like what ChrisE showed... another is to use an ISO format: yyyy-mm-dd then there is no ambiguity.

What I need is: Dim testDate As Date = Function("01/10/2019") and get back the testDate result as: expenddt | "01/10/2019" when I perform a Mouse Over in Visual Studio...No date transformation
    No date transformation
    No Time
    No AM/PM nothing but: Date (as type string) "01/10/2019" to Date (as Type Date) "01/10/2019"
    Ahhh... so.... yeah, you're out of luck there then. A date is a date, and it's going to have a time component, that's just the way it is. And as far as to the format, that is up to your system's regional settings - I think... or it's just simply the way VS displays it, but it shouldn't matter. Aagain, let me iterate the important thing to learn about this, don't confuse the value of the data with the display format of the date. The display format is just that, the display format.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The safe simple and flexible way to create a date value is as ChrisE showed... you can always be sure it will create the value without misinterpreting months etc, and you can use variables for the year etc if you want.

As far as values being displayed with times, Date and DateTime always contain a time component, and whether or not the time is displayed is something you can only control if it is your code and you use .ToString() with an appropriate format. As things like a Mouse Over in Visual Studio are dealt with by code that isn't yours, you can't control it there.

(Just because I'm stubborn)

I tried, in my bad words, to say that if you can use a string as input in Hash function. It is no problem that a Date variable always has a time component. You can then format the date in the way that you need.

(I hope I have clarified myself a bit, and sorry for my poor English ... have a Dutch keyboard ;-))
    Last edited by Goggy; Oct 17th, 2019 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggy via Google translate
    I tried, in my poor wording, saying that if you can use a string as input to hash function. It is no problem that a Date variable always has a time component. You can then use the date format in the way that you need.

(I hope I've explained myself a bit, and sorry for my poor english ... have a Dutch keyboard ;-))
    The .ToString() part was correct, but the CDate() part wasn't... unfortunately creating a date value isn't as simple as it could be.

If the initial value is a String then using Date.ParseExact as BasicBasic tried was the right way to go, but I don't have time at the moment to check why it didn't work.

Ahhh, ok i understand. :-)
    Thanks si_the_geek

Even the .ToString wasn't really right (in this case)... I went back over the OP's post as I was composing my reply, and as I understand it, his issue is the intellisense tool tip that pops up with a variable's value when you mouse over during debugging... so a .ToString wouldn't affect that. In a way, I see where he's coming from - if you set an integer to 1, you get 1... not 1.00000 ... or some other value. So the expectation is that if you set a datwa variable to 1/10/2019, that that's what you'd see... but... dates don't play by the same rules, they have their own set of rules, so that expectation goes out the window and down the street. .ToString would only have any bearing when displaying it to the user, but I don't think that's what the OP was after in this case. Which is why I quoted part of his post which included "Mouse Over in Visual Studio" ... That's when I realized it's the tool tip during debugging that shows the variable values that he's on about... and honestly, I don't remember if that's controlled by the computer's local regional settings or not. But... either way, it still displays the time because time is a component of date, not matter what.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

OK I agree. The problem might be what is being displayed with Visual Studio (mouse over) is not necessarily the actual value being used in code. If this is true, then what is being displayed is then actuall wrong. What should be displayed is "the value" that will be used in the code.

As my task is to be able to compare dates that have been HASHED, it is important that the actual VALUE is identical or the HASH will not match. I did the following as a test:
    Dim expenddt As Date = Date.ParseExact(testDate, "dd/MM/yyyy", System.Globalization.DateTimeFormatInfo.InvariantInfo)
    Dim startdate As String = expenddt.ToShortDateString
    Dim arrayHASHdate(4000) As String
    testDate = GenerateSHA256String(testDate)
    startdate = GenerateSHA256String(startdate)

What I found was that the values of testDate and startdate HASH values were identical, so maybe there is not a problem in the end...what do you think Y'All

These two lines:
    Code:
    ...would be better (less code, more reliable, less work for the code to do at run-time) like this:
    Code:
    Dim expenddt As Date = New Date(2019, 10, 1)
    (this gets Oct 1st, swap the 1 and 10 if you wanted Jan 10th)

This line:
    Code:
    Dim startdate As String = expenddt.ToShortDateString
    ...generates an unpredictable result, because it is based on things outside of your control (such as the Regional Settings of the computer that your program is running on). It is fine to use that for displaying values to the user, but not in the kind of situation you have - when you want the string to be in a particular format, you need to specify it, eg:
    Code:
    Dim startdate As String = expenddt.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy")

What you should be doing is something like this initially:
    Code:
      Dim dateValue As Date = New Date(2019, 1, 10)  'or possibly:   = DateTime.Now
      Dim dateValueFormatted as String = dateValue.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy")
      Dim dateValueHashed as String = GenerateSHA256String(dateValueFormatted)
    ...then store the hash.

To compare another value against the hash, generate the hash for the other value in the same way.

Some testing with different cultures.

Code:
            Debug.WriteLine("")

Dim dutch As New Globalization.CultureInfo("nl")
            Dim USA As New Globalization.CultureInfo("en-US")

'the next two date declarations produce the same date
            ' because of the constructor used.
            Dim dD As Date = New Date(2019, 1, 10, dutch.Calendar)
            Debug.WriteLine(dD.ToString("dd MMM yyyy"))

Dim dU As Date = New Date(2019, 1, 10, USA.Calendar)
            Debug.WriteLine(dU.ToString("dd MMM yyyy"))

'the next two date declarations produce different dates
            ' because they are parsed using different cultures
            Dim d1 As Date = Date.Parse("1/10/2019", dutch)
            Debug.WriteLine(d1.ToString("dd MMM yyyy"))

Dim d2 As Date = Date.Parse("1/10/2019", USA)
            Debug.WriteLine(d2.ToString("dd MMM yyyy"))

Debug.WriteLine("")
            Debug.WriteLine(dutch.Name)
            Debug.WriteLine(dutch.DisplayName)

Debug.WriteLine("")
            Debug.WriteLine(USA.Name)
            Debug.WriteLine(USA.DisplayName)

Debug.WriteLine("")
            Debug.WriteLine(Globalization.CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.Name)
            Debug.WriteLine(Globalization.CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.DisplayName)
            Stop
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Lively Member

...interesting, I have not seen: Dim dateValueFormatted as String = dateValue.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy") before. It appears as though the evolution of VB has lead to many changed to Code Functions. As this is my first VB program (I am an Embedded ANSI_C guy), I find Functions all over the YouTubs and Microsoft web that go back 7-years and things keep improving, but they maintain the legacy...good AND BAD.
    I will give this some testing and send every the results...thanks everybody.

Lively Member

I did get an error for: Dim dateValueFormatted as String = dateValue.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy") I think something might be missing. Can you correct please
    ERROR: System.InvalidCastException: 'Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.IFormatProvider'.'

Quote Originally Posted by BasicBasic View Post
    ...interesting, I have not seen: Dim dateValueFormatted as String = dateValue.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy") before. It appears as though the evolution of VB has lead to many changed to Code Functions. As this is my first VB program (I am an Embedded ANSI_C guy), I find Functions all over the YouTubs and Microsoft web that go back 7-years and things keep improving, but they maintain the legacy...good AND BAD.
    I will give this some testing and send every the results...thanks everybody.
    That one has been around for as long as I can remember (and I can remember a long time...usually....now, where was I....?). Interestingly, I find the fact that .ToString can take arguments to be relatively poorly documented. I know it's there, so when I want to look up the options for the arguments, I know what to search for, but I can't say I've ever encountered it by accident, which kind of means that you need to know it's there to know what to look for.

One thing about VS is that items in debugging (tooltips, or Shift+F9) will display the object with .ToString called on it. I found that one out the hard way. Normally, .ToString does just what you'd like. However, you can override ToString for your own objects, and if you do that just right, the tooltips will end up getting in the way. In your case, a date.ToString shows the full contents of the date structure, which includes both date and time. This is reasonable, as a date is really a point in time, whether you care about the time or not, and if you don't care about the time, you get 12:00:00 AM. That's what .ToString() for a date returns, so that's what VS will show you in tooltips and the like.

Of course, dates may be the hardest single thing to solve in all of programming.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That one has been around for as long as I can remember (and I can remember a long time...usually....now, where was I....?). Interestingly, I find the fact that .ToString can take arguments to be relatively poorly documented. I know it's there, so when I want to look up the options for the arguments, I know what to search for, but I can't say I've ever encountered it by accident, which kind of means that you need to know it's there to know what to look for.

One thing about VS is that items in debugging (tooltips, or Shift+F9) will display the object with .ToString called on it. I found that one out the hard way. Normally, .ToString does just what you'd like. However, you can override ToString for your own objects, and if you do that just right, the tooltips will end up getting in the way. In your case, a date.ToString shows the full contents of the date structure, which includes both date and time. This is reasonable, as a date is really a point in time, whether you care about the time or not, and if you don't care about the time, you get 12:00:00 AM. That's what .ToString() for a date returns, so that's what VS will show you in tooltips and the like.

Of course, dates may be the hardest single thing to solve in all of programming.
    I agree, as I called the name of this thread..."I have always had problems with Dating"...lol, thanks for all your kind attention to my problems.

Lively Member

It looked like:
    Dim d2 As Date = Date.Parse("1/10/2019", USA)
    would be perfect, if I could specify: Dim d2 As Date = Date.Parse("1/10/2019", UK), for instance.

Unfortunately, both USA and UK both cause Compile Errors. Do you have a corrective syntax for me to try...thanks for your help.

USA was included in the example you got that from, UK isn't much different (en-GB).

Quote Originally Posted by BasicBasic View Post
    I did get an error for: Dim dateValueFormatted as String = dateValue.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy") I think something might be missing. Can you correct please
    ERROR: System.InvalidCastException: 'Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.IFormatProvider'.'
    That is odd, I just tested in Fiddle it worked, but there may be a difference between that environment and yours.

Here is an alternative version of that line:
    Code:
    Dim dateValueFormatted as String = dateValue.ToString("dd/MM/yyyy", CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)
    (you may need to add Imports System.Globalization to the top of the code file)