Thread: Network Printer Problem

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Network Printer Problem

My wife and I have our own "offices" in our house and she has an HP Office Jet Pro 8710 printer which she shares on our home network. This worked flawlessly for years but yesterday I tried to print something and nothing happened; it was as if the print request just disappeared. Today I deleted that printer on my end and re-added it and now when I try to print it says it's printing on the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer on e02" and it wants me to create an xps file. Even if I do that nothing happens. I'm doing all this on a Windows XP VM on my mac hosted by Parallels Desktop. Any ideas about how I can get back to normal?

Re: Network Printer Problem

In the spreadsheet - when you click on FILE->PRINT does the printer name show as the 8710 or as the XPS?

If XPS - can you change it to the HP 8710?

Re: Network Printer Problem

Assuming that "e02" is the computer that the HP 8710 is connected to, it sounds like you added the XPS Document Writer printer driver. This printer driver is included by default on most Windows systems and only generates a .xps file. Below is a link with info on adding a printer attached to another computer on the network:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-...-xp-30066.html

Note: The other computer should have a static (fixed) IP address on the network. Otherwise, when that IP address changes, you will once again be unable to print to that printer.