dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] The MSCOMCTL32.OCX Mystery

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] The MSCOMCTL32.OCX Mystery

This file is digitally signed by Microsoft, but is not the VB5/6 official OCX. Here are the official ones to see what I am talking about:

COMCTL32.OCX Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 (SP2)
    MSCOMCTL.OCX Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

Note there is no "32" in the last one.

MSCOMCTL32.OCX has the same GUID as version 6.0 but is not listed in REDIST.TXT. I was comparing the same project in two different machines(XP and 7SP1-64-Bit) and found it in the 7 machine. Here are the lines from the two VBP files:

XP:

Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.0#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX

7:

Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.0#0; mscomctl32.ocx

I remember a while back changing the version on the 7 machine from 2.1 to 2.0 to fix a problem that I had. I may or may not have registered the new file by mistake, or it was installed by some software that I was using. In a clean 7 machine with no SP, I don't see this file. I searched MSDN Library 2001 and 2003, no results. This forum has only 15 results for "MSCOMCTL32", but without explanation. Internet search only found this piece of information here, but looks like a typo to me:

This method is intended for Visual Basic 5 or Visual Basic 6 where the Common Control library used is the MSComCtl 5 version (comctl32.ocx). Because the VB6-specific mscomctl.ocx (Common Controls 6) is a complete implementation of comctl32.dll and not reliant on the version of comctl32.dll installed, this routine may not work when applied to a listview created from the VB6-specific mscomctl.ocx.

Enhanced Comctl32 functionality is only available to users with comctl32.dll version 4.70 or greater installed. This dll is typically installed with IE3.x or greater.

Visual Basic 6 users have extended functionality built-in to the newer mscomctl32.ocx, which does not rely on the Windows comctl32.dll. This code is targeted towards users opting for the older comctl32.ocx using comctl32.dll.

So where is this file coming from? Should I unregister it, then register the original one?

PowerPoster

Re: The MSCOMCTL32.OCX Mystery

I checked on my Windows 7 machine and the file mentioned above does not exist on it. It does have Sp6 installed and of course has the MSComCtl.OCX as well as all the other files you would expect to find for VB6.

From the looks of what you have posted it would seem that someone or something has renamed the file.

hmm, out of curiosity, what is the creation date of that ocx? Are the file sizes the same?

Maybe if you open them in the OLE/COM Object Viewer (oleview.exe), more details might become available?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

I think you are right. Some installers let the user specify what the destination file name should be, essentially renaming it. I have unregistered it, and registered the original. Reading other posts, most of them seem to be typos. I will mark this thread as resolved.
    Last edited by qvb6; Oct 19th, 2019 at 01:31 PM.

Fanatic Member

Re: [RESOLVED] The MSCOMCTL32.OCX Mystery

Here are the date and times. I have SP6 installed:

03/09/2004 01:00 AM 609,824 COMCTL32.OCX
    03/09/2004 01:00 AM 1,081,616 MSCOMCTL.OCX
    04/10/2006 01:41 PM 1,066,176 mscomctl32.ocx

It certainly doesn't appear that they are identical, i.e., just renamed.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

I just used OLE Viewer-->File-->View Type Library, exported to text files and compared in WinMerge. Both are identical, except one character: SP4 for mscomctl32.ocx, and SP6 for the original(MSCOMCTL.OCX). The header in the bad file even says "MSCOMCTL.OCX". So someone tried to edit their installer script to use v 5.0, but ended up installing a strange new file into users' systems.