dcsimg

Thread: Windows 85, version 1.0, with Arpanet access and Reversi

Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar

Windows 85, version 1.0, with Arpanet access and Reversi

Had some time on my hands to Photoshop, starting with a boxed Windows 95 template, taking us back to 1985.

Name:  Windows85_v1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  317.1 KB
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Oct 11th, 2019 at 07:04 PM.

Re: Windows 85, version 1.0, with Arpanet access and Reversi

You're going to cause panic.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You're going to cause panic.
    For the ones who missed out?
    Name:  windows85.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  337.0 KB

OH....the good old days....

I remember going from DOS 4.x to Win 3.1 .... It took me a long time to even want to use this new gadget called a mouse. It wasn't all that necessary... Course once I got the hang of it - life got better.

I must admit that I bought some old Hardware a while back (286,386,486 PC)
    my wife had a Fit. My excuse was .. but I've got all this old Software
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

I remember going from DOS 4.x to Win 3.1 .... It took me a long time to even want to use this new gadget called a mouse. It wasn't all that necessary... Course once I got the hang of it - life got better.
    Yeah, I wasn't impressed, it was to slow on my 286. If there hadn't been such a rapid growth in processor speed and the ram getting cheaper, I think Windows would have just been a novelty and the growth much slower.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    I must admit that I bought some old Hardware a while back (286,386,486 PC)
    my wife had a Fit. My excuse was .. but I've got all this old Software
    I still own a piece of the 90s. It's an old Fujitsu Siemens computer. Wish I held on to my TRS 80 and Commodore 64 to show my kids.

I went years without a computer until Windows 98. Microsoft's Age of Empires II motivated me to buy one, but I soon started using it to design websites and blogs. So glad the mouse came out years before that pc!

Then there's the part where I cut my teeth on Operating System Forums.

As soon as everyone fell in love with Win 98SE Microsoft came out with XP... AND OH, how they hated XP for a long time...till it became everyone's favorite.

I didn't mention Windows ME since most people still hate it.... BUT, I used it for a year and really liked it. It was a cross between good ol Win 98 and Win 2000.

As soon as everyone fell in love with Win 98SE Microsoft came out with XP... AND OH, how they hated XP for a long time...till it became everyone's favorite.

I didn't mention Windows ME since most people still hate it.... BUT, I used it for a year and really liked it. It was a cross between good ol Win 98 and Win 2000.
    I had Windows 98 SE. Never tried Me. SE was perfect up until I screwed up my pc with an over powered graphics card in 2004, but I might be able to resurrect it since I found it's original card.

Would love to see that system boot-up again!

Went through MS_DOS 2 to MS_DOS 6 to Windows 3.0 to Windows for Workgroups 3.1/3.11 to Windows 95 then Windows NT, 2000, XP & 7. Never used 98, ME and Vista.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.3.5)

King of sapila

Mouse, huh? That was used on DOS too.
    I was upgrading to a local store. Had DOS 3.3 and every time I went there, they installed W.3.1. I deleted them, upgraded and again, W .3.1
    I went to DOS versions till 6 then I don't recall why (probably forced because a game did not play at DOS), used W95. Hated them, used W98 hated them skipped "ME", skipped 2000.
    Used NT for server training , OK I guess.Used XP at the university in England so I got used to them and have them on a home PC until now. Used W7 and have them till now. Used (thank God not at home) W8 8.1 at job(s), hated them like I hated W3.1 and even more,and my hatred grew on W10.
    Until W7 does not play games I just use them(W10) at various PC (not mine) at job.

But....
    But....
    Recently I had the pleasure to get involved with some MAC computers needed upgrade. I try to find an avatar that I shoot myself and the blood turns to a wildcat that gets to the MAC users room and rips them to pieces.
    Last edited by sapator; Oct 14th, 2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Slow as hell.

I read Windows ME was the #4 worst OS ever put out.

Man this thread makes me feel old now, "Thanks" lol
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Man this thread makes me feel old now, "Thanks" lol
    Not to mention Netware.... Groan
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I read Windows ME was the #4 worst OS ever put out.
    Most of the people that said those things never used it... Same thing for Vista...

Both worked great for me.....in large part due to being on New Dells.

Never used W98 and ME so can't comment. After 3.11/Netware we forked between NT and 95. Then moved to 2000.

I used ME for a few years. I never had an issue with it. I've heard all the moaning about pretty nearly every new OS that has come out. I've never had an issue with ANY of them.

Never did try Bob, though.

Most of the people that said those things never used it... Same thing for Vista...

Both worked great for me.....in large part due to being on New Dells.
    I used Vista and loved it. Just was a breaking change for the security and UAC that got most people. Once you had the proper drivers and programs that used the appropriate areas it was fine.

I had a copy of ME but never installed it.

BASIC, BASICA (Extended BASIC), DOS 6.22 were what I cut my teeth on back in the day
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

As far as I can tell Windows 7 has been the most problematic version for developers.

Much of this was really due to MS Office though. As they were pushed to put out a gratuitously 64-bit edition of the products they broke binary compatibility in ADO at least once and muffed correcting that. Then they caused a compatibility break in new versions of some VB6 OCXs they sort of "lifted" for Office Developer Edition way back when trying to fix a security flaw. Because this occurred around the time of Win7 SP1 it inherited many of those woes.

These issues keep coming up even today, years after the fixes finally came out. Some turn up during development, others not until you try to install your application on a safe and sane OS. You can even run into the latter problem deploying to a Win7 machine if it isn't twisted up in the same way as the dev machine.

Fixes were only released for Windows 8 and later for a long time. Even though later on Win7 patches were made available you have to know to go after them, where to go after them, and manually install them. Windows Update won't deal with them.

One more reason I can only laugh at people with their fingernails tightly dug into the dying Windows 7. Support ends in what, under 100 days now?

That won't matter. Support for VB6 ended over a decade ago, and it still goes on.

King of sapila

I have installed "ME" on a friends newly bought computer , i pluged in the mouse and I got to a blue screen of death. Nuff said.
    Today's example. One of our admins was called by a W10 user, upgraded a week or so from W7, complaining that the printer is slow. It printed 1 page per minute but was working fine yesterday! After a lot of searching, turned out that some new KB windows upgrades for W10 had broken many printer brands and they made them act weird. After he deleted multiple upgrades the printer started working correctly again.
    Slow as hell.

You installed ME on a new computer? Can you even buy a 32-bit system anymore?

If the printer isn't bought tomorrow, then it's out of date and won't be supported!

King of sapila

No I did not install it on a new computer. I crazy but not that crazy!
    I was talking for back in the days when this pile of, (insert your preferred word here) was released.
    Slow as hell.