Thread: VB6 - QUESTION - A good place to distribute your EXE

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

VB6 - QUESTION - A good place to distribute your EXE

When you have finally packaged your binary with all its dependencies, where do you distribute your package?

I'd like some recommendations for good locations, Softpedia is one I am familiar with but I'd like to hear what you recommend and what you use when distributing your finished package. Bear in mind that mine is a free to use tool (and mine is to be used with Rocketdock so some obvious locations come to mind) but I'd like you to think of it as just another VB6 program and suggest a couple or more good places for potential users (in general) to download (and perhaps places to avoid).

I note that Tucows used to be THE in-place to upload your tools but it seems to have been left to die and the submission process is now terrible and I'd suggest Tucows is now to be avoided!

Your thoughts please.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Sep 24th, 2019 at 10:23 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 - QUESTION - A good place to distribute your EXE

your own website

s3

dropbox\gdrive\icloud link

sourceforge

but if your project is tied to another program, it might make sense to put it near so other people can find it

It's own website is not currently an option for whatever reason.

I get S3 and cloud locations. I am looking more for 3rd party venues, ie. places that have a reputation for distributing utilities, binaries &c, softpedia being an obvious example (I am there already https://www.softpedia.com/publisher/...ell-77598.html)

As I said "some obvious locations come to mind" with regard to Rocketdock but I am looking for 'insights' into the places the contributors in this forum would be likely to upload their tools if they wanted to receive some likelihood of downloads for their binary packages. Good places...

Hyperactive Member

I remember when this was THE way to get my software out to the world. Some of the more popular sites were CNET, Tucows, WinSite, and hundreds of others. I used to manually submit my shareware to them and they brought some sales. Eventually I bought a tool called RoboSoft which handled the submissions for me to hundreds of these sites. I no longer do this as I don't find it to be very effective any more for my business these days.

If you're going to go down this road I would use RoboSoft:
    http://robosoft.rudenko.com

It'll cost you $99 but what is your time worth? Researching all of the submission sites and manually submitting to all of them would take you weeks of time.

If you do want just a list of sites, you can download it from their site as well: http://robosoft.rudenko.com/download-sites.html

That's an interesting recommendation, thankyou.

----If this post has helped you. Please take time to Rate it.
    ----If you've solved your problem, then please mark it as RESOLVED from Thread Tools.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by some1uk03 View Post
    are they still bundling crapware with their downloads?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    are they still bundling crapware with their downloads?
    Yes! That's when I stopped using them. Had customers yelling at me about how my program installed toolbar XYZ on their system. Did no good telling them that this was a CNET thing. There is a way to bypass this and download just the EXE without their installer but most users don't know about this. You can also choose to not install any of the add-ons they offer but you've got to read EVERY screen carefully before pressing OK.

Well this thread can also places to exclude too! Please let me know.

I do remember CNET bundling a tool that hijacked the DNS settings on your PC, it installed it even when you said 'no' to all the extras that the installer "offered" - that was an eye opener to CNET's dirty practices.

Hyperactive Member

has anyone published their projects to the Windows 10 Store? (https://www.hanselman.com/blog/Putti...entennial.aspx)

Frenzied Member

I have not been a 'lister' at softpedia, but it is my go to site to download stuff without any bundled crap or viruses.

Fanatic Member

(I currently use Softpedia, and I like it)

In addition to this, in my opinion it would also be interesting to discuss what are the best ways to "promote" your software.
    For example, is there any youtube channel that does software's video-tutorials/(reviews) on demand?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by reexre View Post
    (I currently use Softpedia, and I like it)

In addition to this, in my opinion it would also be interesting to discuss what are the best ways to "promote" your software.
    For example, is there any youtube channel that does software's video-tutorials/(reviews) on demand?
    Think about how *you* find software and then copy those methods

I'll just share what I do. Basically, there are three ways (well four if you count email) that I share information with others:

1. For my primary application, with the entire package standing at about 200MB, I pay for domain space on GoDaddy and maintain a small website there. It's nice to have a website. That way, I can explain a few things beyond just setting the application out there.
    2. I also pay for a static IP from my ISP, and I've got a NAS box here at the house. That allows me to setup a website on the NAS box as well. The reason I don't put my primary application out there is that my upload speed isn't quite high enough for it. However, this does allow me to distribute some smaller stuff. On that website, I just use the IP, and don't have a domain attached, which is fine for what it is.
    3. For some other stuff, I also use Google Drive. They seem to give me 15GB for no charge, and I've never paid Google a penny. That's nice in that it provides fast download speeds for people grabbing stuff. The main downside is that the URL is sort of weird for each file.

So, that's me. Now Ber, if your question also includes thoughts of marketing, that's an entirely separate issue, which I won't address.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Good ideas so far, marketing isn't my original question (that came later from reexre) but I suppose finding a good location that suits the tool's distribution is a form of good marketing. I mean, if you want people to find and download it.

I currently just distribute my more 'arty' creations via deviantart as I don't expect anyone but arty / steampunk diehards to use them and so the download quantities are low. I used to experience one thousand downloads per day (per widget) when the old Yahoo widget gallery was in operation and so millions of copies of my software were installed. It was the perfect place for that type of program but those days have gone.

When the rocketdock gallery was up and running I had low millions of downloads for my icons, wallpapers and widgets combined but that has gone too and I am 'feeling' the lack of a good place for small utilities such as mine and the creations I intend to build.

So all suggestions and ideas appreciated. I think they could be useful for us all.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    When the rocketdock gallery was up and running
    sounds like you need create rocketdock gallery 2.0 and host it there

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    sounds like you need create rocketdock gallery 2.0 and host it there
    It is an idea that has not escaped me.

Fanatic Member

for whom cares https://www.bytesin.com/ gave me (about) double downloads than Softpedia

Edit:
    Maybe even https://alternativeto.net/ worths a mention even if the number of downloads is invisible