dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Serial Port will not send values greater than 0x3F????

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Serial Port will not send values greater than 0x3F????

Hi, I am having a very frustrating and seemingly simple problem to fix.

When sending data over a serial port, the receiving is not receiving values over 0x3F. I believe this is due to encoding. reading online, it appears the standard encoding does not allow values over '?'.

I am trying to send hex values. Not strings.

My understanding is that this can be done using something like:
    Public Shared array_to_send(999) As Byte
    mySerialPort.Write(array_to_send, 0, array_to_send.Count)

" Public Sub CommPortSetup()

'Always prevent program crash
    Try

With mySerialPort
    .PortName = cboCOM.Text
    .BaudRate = 256000 '57600 '115200 '921600 460800 115200 256000
    .DataBits = 8
    .Parity = Parity.None
    .StopBits = StopBits.One
    .Handshake = Handshake.None
    .DtrEnable = True 'This allows us to open and close the port as many times as we want.
    .WriteTimeout = 400 'Do not get stuck trying to send old data if device did not recieve it (not connected?)
    .ReadTimeout = 400
    .ReceivedBytesThreshold = 1000 'interrupt when we have received the entire packet structure and have the data to update the display with
    .ReadBufferSize = 2000
    .Encoding = System.Text.Encoding.GetEncoding(1252) '1252 '28591
    End With

AddHandler mySerialPort.DataReceived, AddressOf DataReceivedHandler

mySerialPort.Open()
    Catch ex As Exception
    'MsgBox(ex.Message) 'Ignore failed connect attempts
    End Try

End Sub"

Above is how I am initializing my port. I have another app on this computer that is pinging back and forth with this app.

I tried to set the encoding to what people noted online but nothing is working.

Any thoughts?

Lively Member

Re: Serial Port will not send values greater than 0x3F????

Wow....I was being an idiot. I set the encoding on one application (sending) but not the receiving....sorry!

Frenzied Member

The serial port uses ASCII as its default encoding. ASCII has only 128 characters which are mapped to code points 0 to 127. So it's values over 0x7F that are not allowed.

You see the ? because the ASCIIEncoding Class uses a replacement fallback mechanism whereby byte values 128 to 255 are decoded to the ? character, and characters not in the ASCII character set are encoded as byte value 0x3F (the ASCII code point for the ? character).

In your code, you are using the SerialPort.Write method that writes a Byte array. This method is not affected by the Text Encoding, so if you are seeing ? characters popping up, then you are likely sending using binary data methods, but receiving using character data methods, which is bad ;-)

Sinecure devotee

Perhaps mark the thread resolved so Inferrd wouldn't have suggested at the end of post 3 what you already determined in post #2.
    Although the additional information about the question mark being ASCII 0x3F and being replaced for the above ASCII range byte values was good for explaining what you were seeing on the receiving end. I would have though a lot of values greater than 0x3F would have been getting through since the capital letters start at 0x41 and the lower case letters start at 0x61, which all should have made it through the receiving decoding.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Perhaps mark the thread resolved so Inferrd wouldn't have suggested at the end of post 3 what you already determined in post #2.
    In post #2, Daniel states that setting the encoding on the receiving end is what fixed his problem. That would indicate that while the sending end is sending byte data with Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32) (as stated in post #1) the receiving end is using one of the character based read methods: Read(Char[], Int32, Int32), ReadChar(), ReadExisting(), ReadLine(), ReadTo(String).

My point is that if you are sending bytes with Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32), then you should not be using a character based read method or playing with text encodings. You should use one of the corresponding binary read methods Read(Byte[], Int32, Int32) or ReadByte()

Lively Member

Thank you for the replies. Both methods of writing via the serial port actually work when using that encoding style. But yes, I am using Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32) and same for read. Marking as resolved now.