dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error 50003 - Unexpected Error and Windows 10 / Control Box Icon with 32 bits

Resolved [RESOLVED] Error 50003 - Unexpected Error and Windows 10 / Control Box Icon with 32 bits

Greetings all.

I develop apps on VB6 for a while now (since 1998, to be exact) and have stuck with it since then. I still do, even today.
    I've been a longtime follower of the forum, and, even though i did not post, i got a lot of help from all of you here and you deserve a great deal of respect.

Now, i problem that's been bugging me and (and some of you, probably) are icons. I ran into a strange problem, recently :

- my app has a modern icon (it's an icon added to the form) - that specific icon is a multiple resolution icon (up to 128x128 in 32 bits)
    i create icons with transparency in Gimp, then export them to PNG and convert with icoconverter.com (32 bit, alpha transparency) then i add the icon to the main app form and it works.

- if i run it on Windows 10 (on a virtual box virtual machine) - the app crashes as soon as the form with the abovementioned icon loads. the crash is an Error 50003 - Unexpected Error. On my dev machine (windows 7, x64) it runs fine. on a virtual machine with Windows Server 2018, it also runs fine.

I don't know the cause or how to get passed it (and i really do not want to, to be honest). Still, i thought i'd mention here. Perhaps, in the future, someone will read this post and get spared a lot of debugging work
    If this post solved your problem, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] and rate the post. It's a good way to show appreciation.

Frenzied Member

Re: Error 50003 - Unexpected Error and Windows 10 / Control Box Icon with 32 bits

Shirley, you could knock up a (Very) stripped down version of your project, and attach it ?

Re: Error 50003 - Unexpected Error and Windows 10 / Control Box Icon with 32 bits

I'm assuming the icon is your form icon? If so, how are you adding the icon to your project? Using rc.exe or something else?

If I assumed incorrectly, think you should provide more details of where this icon exists in your project and how it is displayed/rendered.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

I will actually submit a project In 2-3h.
    If this post solved your problem, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] and rate the post. It's a good way to show appreciation.

Lightbulb Re: Error 50003 - Unexpected Error and Windows 10 / Control Box Icon with 32 bits

Code submitted - with comments.

On a virtual machine (VirtualBox) it behaves as described.
    Please, open in VB6 before running EXE.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AndreiMhz; Sep 14th, 2019 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Re-added Attachment without exe

PowerPoster

Not seeing any problem here (Windows 10 1903). You have three "XP" images: 16x16, 36x36, 48x48.

I made another smaller Project with a similar icon that also has 128x128 and it still runs just fine.

I know - you have to run in inside a Virtual Machine. It only appears inside a Virtual Box...

PS: I have discovered that the problem also exists on Win7 and Win8 inside a virtual machine. Must be something driver related.

Addicted Member

Check out the solution here.

I removed the attachment since it contained compiled code. The advice to open in VB6 before running is a good one, but compiled code is not allowed on the forum. We just can't say what is in it, and we don't want to be suggesting that anybody download and run unknown executable code on their computers. Since the project included the source code, just remove the executable code and re-attach. As you noted, people should run the source, anyways.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Once again, the guys here helped.

Finally, managed to solve the problem.
    The cause is the use of Common Controls 6 and 32 bit icons with Alpha Transparency added as form icons. Take one of these out of the ecuation and the problem goes away.

Common Controls 6.0 is absolutely necessary nowadays, so the Form Icon had to to.

Long story short, i found a thread which explains how to add 32 bit application icons using Resource Files - including adding the icon as a control box by loading it from the resource file.

Read Here :

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...m-icons-in-VB6