Thread: VB 2019 runs extremely slowly

VB 2019 runs extremely slowly

Recently installed VB 2019 on my PC. Working on a project originally written in VB 2010, I find VB 2019 runs extremely slowly. For instance building and start debugging the program takes 30 seconds or more whereas in VB 2010 it's only 1-2 seconds. I have the same problem on my laptop. Any suggestions?

Re: VB 2019 runs extremely slowly

Not really. If you moved directly from VS2010 to VS2019, it is likely to be a rude shock. Each subsequent version of VS added more and more features to the IDE, and that has slowed down VS. I had heard that VS2019 is faster than 2017, which might be faster than 2015, but there's still FAR more going on in the IDE than 2010 had. I always felt that 2010 was the most beautiful version of VS, but there have been many advances to the IDE. Just look at the scrollbar. There are now three tracks in that scrollbar such that it can indicate several different things about the code simultaneously. Also note the tracks tying If to End If, and so on. All those graphical things come at a cost.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thanks SH. I am a bit of a novice but I follow your comments. You seem to be saying that the slowness in VB 2019 is because the program was written in VB 2010. I agree with you about VB 2010 - I had no problems with it. I would like to continue using it on my laptop (which is new) but can find no source from which to download VB 2010. Do you know of one?

Quote Originally Posted by Misterfyer View Post
    Thanks SH. I am a bit of a novice but I follow your comments. You seem to be saying that the slowness in VB 2019 is because the program was written in VB 2010. I agree with you about VB 2010 - I had no problems with it. I would like to continue using it on my laptop (which is new) but can find no source from which to download VB 2010. Do you know of one?
    See https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/older-downloads/
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

A link to that page is literally on the main VS download page.

Removed comment.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Sep 12th, 2019 at 04:51 AM.

Sinecure devotee

To be more specific, the IDE is not written in VB.

I don't know for sure if it is still true, but I know the IDE was at one time written using C# and was a WPF GUI project. I'm assuming it still is.

And since many compilers are written and compiled with the current version of the compiler, i.e. self hosted, I don't see why the 2019 IDE couldn't have been created with VS 2019 itself, once it was far enough along. There is no reason the current IDE would have to be built with the previous version of VS. What better way to test the new IDE as you modify it, but to use it for your development.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

I am experiencing the massive slow downs. 30-60 seconds during debugging and gives me the white screen. I see a new update is out so Im hoping its fixed. Solution written in 2015.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Really i have been using VS 2019 for a while now and have found it faster than the last few version (certainly than 2015 & 2017) and in particular have found debugging faster.

I am using version 16.1 according to the Help screen.

I do have 16Gig ram in my machine i dont know if any of you are running a machine with less ram?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I am running VS 16.2.5 Community on W10 Pro 64 bit v1809 with 32Gbs of ram and 500GBs of SSD. Its actually fast when Im not debugging or just compiling. When I start debugging and make an edit it just freezes until it has recompiled into memory my change. Only then can I continue to step to the next line of code.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I am running VS 16.2.5 Community on W10 Pro 64 bit v1809 with 32Gbs of ram and 500GBs of SSD. Its actually fast when Im not debugging or just compiling. When I start debugging and make an edit it just freezes until it has recompiled into memory my change. Only then can I continue to step to the next line of code.
    I thought about upgrading to 2019, but since you're having problems running it on a Win10 64 bit machine, I'll just stick with good old VS 2010. I don't need headaches now.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Sep 12th, 2019 at 04:32 AM.

I have yet to try 2019. I use 2010 at home, and 2017 at work. I do intend to move to 2019 on the work computer, but there are some nuisances to doing that which has caused me to put off the move so far. I'll probably put it on a virtual machine, first.

Thanks jm, but unfortunately although 2010 is listed as available, when selected it returns a screen apologising for its non-availability.

Thanks 2kaud, but unfortunately, although 2010 is listed, when selected it returns a page apologising for its non availability !

PowerPoster

I have this link saved from the Wayback machine for the VS2010 Express ISO file.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111016...10Express1.iso

Thanks Peter. Yes, I understand. Its my fault; I didn't construe Shaggy's reply as saying 2019 was built with 2010; I misphrased my reply to him. I should have said : "You seem to be saying that the slowness in VB 2019 is because MY program was written in VB 2010."
    I still wonder if this might be the case - sometimes when waiting for VB 2019 to build the solution I get a message box saying something to the effect "VS is taking longer than expected ....". This seems to suggest to me that in building the program MS were aware that it might be very slow in some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterfyer View Post
    Thanks Peter. Yes, I understand. Its my fault; I didn't construe Shaggy's reply as saying 2019 was built with 2010; I misphrased my reply to him. I should have said : "You seem to be saying that the slowness in VB 2019 is because MY program was written in VB 2010."
    I still wonder if this might be the case - sometimes when waiting for VB 2019 to build the solution I get a message box saying something to the effect "VS is taking longer than expected ....". This seems to suggest to me that in building the program MS were aware that it might be very slow in some situations.
    Misterfyer, did you just add the word "program", or did I overlook it?

Should've proofread my comment before I removed it. LOL!

I seriously need more sleep!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Sep 12th, 2019 at 04:52 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post

Hmmm...

Everything that has been described as 2019 problems so far has been happening to me with 2015 for years. Its nothing new?

2015 is much slower on win10 than win7, especially after the win10 graphics update a year or two ago I cant recall the number.

Also be sure to check the JIT settings of the debug options they might affect the pre-compiling. Other settings.

I also think VS got much worse after the nuget junk pile was added and etc.

As I recall for the last 30 years every version gets slower "bloated" code. Just like rest of windows you have to get the new computers or eventually it wont run.

PS did I say I love VS?

Which version you used to write the code should have no impact on the speed. After all, the source code is just a bunch of text files (you can open them in Notepad, if you wanted to). If anything, VS2010 files could be slightly easier to compile than VS2019 files, but I'd be surprised if there was any measurable difference between the two. I believe the difference in performance is due entirely to all the various things that are being done by VS2019 that were not being done by VS2010, mostly involving visual feedback as to the state of the code, or perhaps some other types of analysis that doesn't provide so much visual feedback.

@Tommytwotrain: I noticed that the IDE ran a bit slower with each version. In fact, it didn't start with 2012, either, as 2010 loads slower than 2008 on computers slow enough to see the difference. However, I felt there was a significant slowdown with 2015 and 2017. Some folks say that 2019 is faster, though I have yet to try it out.

Many of the features that were added, which seem likely to cause performance degradation, are things that I appreciate in theory, such as the information contained in the scrollbar tracks since 2015, and the dashed lines connecting block starts to block ends. Other parts are not things that I use, though I can see that others might use them. Perhaps it would be possible to build your IDE a la carte with just the features that you would use? The Options menu would be ENORMOUS, though.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    I thought about upgrading to 2019, but since you're having problems running it on a Win10 64 bit machine, I'll just stick with good old VS 2010. I don't need headaches now.
    I dont want to derail the thread with my problem but seems to me it was a vs update as in the beginning it was fast and good. I just upgraded to 16.2.5 from 16.2.3 and its still there. Perhaps a future update will resolve the issue but this is on a web app. Still need to track more to determine if its project type related or ?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Hyperactive Member

Shaggy et al,

LOL I know you like that scrollbar. I hate it !!! I would remove it if I knew how. I just want to scroll and there is so much garbage there now in 2015 I cant find the scrollbar thumb for a simple scroll. I cant imaging what all that is it looks like a machine gun drive by with mulit colors.

Yes every version is slower. Its the 1/moores law (sp?) the speed of the operating system slows by double every 1.8 years (inverse of the cpu speed) as the code is bloated by just bandaiding and surrounding it together and backwards compatibiliting etc. So the end result is nothing changes.

I still have a win 98 system that runs and amazes me how fast it is and I used to be amazed at how slow it was! But I ramble...

PS The size of the app and which etc it uses will affect the ide speed too.

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotrain View Post
    Shaggy et al,

LOL I know you like that scrollbar. I hate it !!! I would remove it if I knew how. I just want to scroll and there is so much garbage there now in 2015 I cant find the scrollbar thumb for a simple scroll. I cant imaging what all that is it looks like a machine gun drive by with mulit colors.

Yes every version is slower. Its the 1/moores law (sp?) the speed of the operating system slows by double every 1.8 years (inverse of the cpu speed) as the code is bloated by just bandaiding and surrounding it together and backwards compatibiliting etc. So the end result is nothing changes.

I still have a win 98 system that runs and amazes me how fast it is and I used to be amazed at how slow it was! But I ramble...

PS The size of the app and which etc it uses will affect the ide speed too.
    I have VS 2019 installed and I can right click on the scroll bar and configure most of what it shows.

LOL I know you like that scrollbar. I hate it !!! I would remove it if I knew how.
    I have VS 2019 installed and I can right click on the scroll bar and configure most of what it shows.
    Yeah you can configure the scroll bar completely and remove all the highlighting if you want, its all just options i am surprised you haven't had a dig inside the options and turned stuff off if it bothers you so much !
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I dont want to derail the thread with my problem but seems to me it was a vs update as in the beginning it was fast and good. I just upgraded to 16.2.5 from 16.2.3 and its still there. Perhaps a future update will resolve the issue but this is on a web app. Still need to track more to determine if its project type related or ?
    I am still on 16.1 and judging by what you have said i am going to remain there for now.

I recently turned off diagnostics when debugging (which i dont use) and that did improve things for me, not that it was bad but i saw a slight speed improvement from pressing run to the project actually loading.

The biggest issue with VS is the fact they try and add so many features between releases in order to please everyone, it would probably be nice to have a way of having some templated setups, like 'complete basic feature mode' which would make it more like VS Code and some other in between as often i think features turned on by default that they dont use are what causes many peoples problems.

Generally i have found VS 2019 fine and dont have any real problems but its clear that not everyone's experience and if there was an easier way to navigate turning new features on and off that would be a good thing

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Yeah you can configure the scroll bar completely and remove all the highlighting if you want, its all just options i am surprised you haven't had a dig inside the options and turned stuff off if it bothers you so much !
    Yeah. I knew you would say that.

I guess after 50 years one gets tired of it...

Its simple... I don't use what I don't need.

Know thy customer...

There is a lot to be said about driving a 67 ss with sparkplugs one installed themselves even if the new cuda is twice as fast.

But I ramble...

In fact PS did they change the button control in 2019? Now that would be something useful.

How about faster graphics?

How about work on a phone?

No? Dont need it.
    Last edited by tommytwotrain; Sep 13th, 2019 at 06:20 AM.

That's the ultimate issue, though: A bit of this and a bit of that to please every taste. It sounds like there is far more that can be turned off than I realized (though I haven't actually used it, so there's plenty I don't realize). However, the number of options even back in 2005 was pretty large, and that is creeping upwards, as well.

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty happy with the general direction, but there is a whole lot in there, and performance is suffering as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That's the ultimate issue, though: A bit of this and a bit of that to please every taste. It sounds like there is far more that can be turned off than I realized (though I haven't actually used it, so there's plenty I don't realize). However, the number of options even back in 2005 was pretty large, and that is creeping upwards, as well.

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty happy with the general direction, but there is a whole lot in there, and performance is suffering as a result.
    It would be nice if Microsoft made it to where speed consuming features are turned off by default, but easy to find when needed. We don't have deep pockets for a new PC every year to keep up with the way VS is going.

I was thinking of that, too, but decided against it. You can't even lead a horse to water if the horse doesn't know the water exists and isn't curious about it. I expect that, if it were all turned off, many people would never turn it on. As I write this, that sounds a whole lot more appealing then when I first thought about it. The features that cost speed are really just useful (or not, depending on your view) features, and not necessary. What I was concerned about was that there would be reasonably necessary features that would not be on by default, but now that I think about it...I can't think of any.

Therefore, I support that idea.

Something like this on the start page would be nice, which should also be easily accessible within the project:

Name:  enable_disable_features.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  47.5 KB

Something like this on the start page would be nice, which should also be easily accessible within the project:
    Yeah that is basically what i was saying to, a simpler way to be able to turn new features on and off and to understand what they do.

So i turned off Diagnostics recently which i dont use, as it slows down you debugging. but there could be reasons for me to use diagnostics on occasions but i dont really want to have to go an search on the net just to find out why i should use it, surly a large new feature like that they could add in a better feature & experience screen which links to a walk-through or something like that.

You wouldn't want that for everything but for new big features it would be good.