dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installing VS6'VB/6 on W10 Home

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Installing VS6'VB/6 on W10 Home

I have read several articles regarding the installation of VS6/VB6 onto WIN10 Home. All these articles are well beyond my abilities. You cannot just insert the CD and let autorun do it's job.

I live in The US in Eastern Massachusetts and would like someone who is capable of doing this install to help me. A local person is preferable!

Thanks

Hyperactive Member

Re: Installing VS6'VB/6 on W10 Home

this is a pretty good resource and should be pretty easy to follow: http://blog.danbrust.net/2015/09/14/.../#.VvEYIbNtdrU

Addicted Member

I have read that article. As well as many more. I do not feel confident that I can do it, even with multiple system restor points.

Thanks for tip

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by AccessShell View Post
    I do not feel confident that I can do it, even with multiple system restor points
    what parts are scaring you?

Addicted Member

For starters. I have not tried to install so I do not have to remove any remnants - maybe. I registered one OCX (either MSCOMCT2 or MSCOMCTL - I don't remember to get an old VBA in Access 2003 to work. I hope I don't have to remove it.

Then, I a screen as shown by Dan Brust looks different I would be very unsure. I don't know how long this takes under the best of circumstances (no problems). Can I stop in the middle and continue later even after I shut down.

I must have VS6SP6 but will need to find it.

I'm just nervous. I am confident about one thing. There will be more questions for me as I try to go through the install.

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    this is a pretty good resource and should be pretty easy to follow: http://blog.danbrust.net/2015/09/14/.../#.VvEYIbNtdrU
    Attention, because that guide (to my VS6 Installer) is very old and has never been updated. Some things (which at the time worked) now no longer work with recent versions of Windows 10.
    If you want to use VS6 Installer (also updated) I suggest you read the online guide first.

See the link in my signature.

Addicted Member

I have read (many times) post #6 by gibra. I find very disturbing the comment
    "Some things (which at the time worked) now no longer work with recent versions of Windows 10."

Does that mean I should first use the VS6 installer gibra suggested and continue with DaB Brust's instructions for the VB6 part?

This does not sound easy. Nor is it easy for me. If I create a restore point, then run into problems, will a system restore from that point clear out everything I tried, the regisrty, the files, the directories, etc?

Does that mean I should first use the VS6 installer gibra suggested and continue with DaB Brust's instructions for the VB6 part?
    No. This mean you should first read the official help file, before to use VS6 Installer.

But you can also do manually (whitout VS6 Installer).
    There are a lot of thread on this forum about this argument. Make a searching...

Addicted Member

I read ALL the articles suggested by Gibra. You video was very enlightening. A couple of questions.
    1. Am I correct in saying I do not have to make a dummy java file.
    2. I thought that I would install VS first, but your video installed VB first. Did I miss something?
    3. Assuming everything goes as planned, how lone does this take? Exaggerate a bit as all w10 computers are different.

NOTE: I am less nervous about installing VB6 now.

Thanks

I read ALL the articles suggested by Gibra. Y
    Everything is explained in the online help file.

Addicted Member

I am attempting to install VS6/VB6 on WIN10 Home using Visual Studio 6.0 Installer - Version 5.0. I have prepared VS6Pro, MSDN, and SP6. I am using Pro Edition VS6. On the
    "Install Visual Studio 6.0 PRO" I get
    Path/File access error
    on cmdInstallVS6_Click of frmMain2.frm

Can anyone tell me about this error?

Thanks

Addicted Member

Note post #11
    I am using gibra's installer version 5.
    I found from another post that I must give the C:\ROOT subdir full access. I did this after I populated the sub directories. I get the same error message from the installer.
    I even tried to delete the sub dirs and start again. No luck.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Addicted Member

Using gibra's VS6 installer version 5. Installing the Pro Edition. I "successfully" installed VS6 Pro and MSDN, The Installer displayed the Successfully Installed messages. When I tried to install Service Pack 6 I got the following two error messages
    1. Setup error 544 - Setup is unable to open the data files C:\VB6ROOT\3SP6\ACMSETUP.stf; run setup again from where you originally ran it.
    2. Setup error 723 - Setup was unable to read the configuration information from the first section oo the setup file: C:\VB6ROOT\3SP6\ACMSETUP.stf.

When I looked at the list of files in the sub-directory I did not find the mentioned file. Instead I found acmsetup.exe. The sub-directory contained 118 files.
    In addition the sub-dir was named 3SP6_VSPro NOT 3SP6 as pointed out in the error messages.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Addicted Member

I have completed the install of VS6/VB6 using Gibra's installation tool Version 5. I know that without this tool I would never been able to install this vital software. Anyone thinking of install VB6 on WIN 10 should definitely use this tool.

Grazie Gibra

and to all the others who responded to this thread.

Addicted Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Installing VS6'VB/6 on W10 Home

I have watched Gibra's video several times. I noticed that after he sets up to access the the VB executable he has to set access for Admin. He does that once, then takes off the admin access. I can't to remove the admin access so as to be able to run is normally (no admin privileges) as he has done in the video.

Any suggestions.