Thread: How to use model for multiple lists of data

Lively Member

How to use model for multiple lists of data

What's the best way to pass multiple lists of data to a view? I saw someone answer the question on another site and they said to use the model for one list and ViewData for the other. That seems pretty weak to me. From what I understand the model is the preferred method for passing data to a view. I'm assuming the model would be able to handle more than one list.

Re: How to use model for multiple lists of data

If you create a custom model for the view (often referred to as a ViewModel) you could give the model two properties, each property would contain the data for the associated list.

Personally I would always try to avoid using ViewData (or ViewBag) as you lose all type safety and compile time support, a strongly typed model is always the way to go in my mind.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Personally I would always try to avoid using ViewData (or ViewBag) as you lose all type safety and compile time support, a strongly typed model is always the way to go in my mind.
    Agreed, i have models with multiple lists in which i bind to dropdowns or grids, its fairly standard.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    If you create a custom model for the view (often referred to as a ViewModel) you could give the model two properties, each property would contain the data for the associated list.

Totally agree with you here!