dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Get Firefox Master List of About:Config

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Get Firefox Master List of About:Config

I wanted to get a master listing of ALL "about:config" names and settings for my current Firefox version.
    It appears one can copy EACH but no way I can see to get a copy of ALL.
    Never done any VB Classic Webbrowser programming so Not even sure if one codes using the webbrowser control
    that an "about:config" list is available, accessible, and would mimic Firefoxes "about:config".

Any suggestions appreciated.

Lively Member

Re: Get Firefox Master List of About:Config

First of all, this thread belongs to Visual Basic programming, unless you want to get neccessary entries directly via firefox browser without coding at all.
    Secondly, youll need an Gecko webbrowser engine, because Webbrowser component uses internet explorer engine in default (and I suppose that webbrowser is unable to handle different webbrowser engines althought Im not sure).
    Thirdly, youll need to, of course, replace Browser.Navigate("https://www.google.com") with "about:config" - without http and www. This should open about:config menu instead of webpage.
    Im not quite sure if entries are stored as raw text with columns, but only first and last items are copiable (as far as I tested it). Between that, theres separator.
    Unfortunately, its not possible to mark all items and copy their values (at least in my browser, but that could be same for VB component) - its not even possible to copy more that one item at a time.
    So, what you can try is to loop via all items one by one via keypress down, get item value via copy command each time and paste it either into new file or textbox.

Hyperactive Member

VB.NET.Developer
    Thank you for responding.

Based on your post it appears using the "Gecko webbrowser engine" you're getting the same thing I am -- ability to single copy 1 item - using Firefox.
    In some way make sense, since Gecko is the engine driving Firefox. Had hoped otherwise.

Another interesting question I don't have the answer to is whether "about:about" and all of its subset including about:config
    are unique to Firefox (mozilla), or whether they are a webbrowser standard implemented by IE, Firefox, Chrome, or any other browser
    via some committee (e.g. W3).

PowerPoster

I made a little macro that do the following
    1- Send <Ctrl+C> to Firefox
    2- Get clipboard text and save the setting name only in a string variable named f
    3- Send <Down> arrow
    4- Goto step #1 until reach the last item
    5- Save f variable content to file

and here is the result list (total 2504 settings)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 4x2y; Aug 25th, 2019 at 09:39 PM.

Hyperactive Member

4x2y

Thanks a bunch for your efforts on my behalf.
    Also idea about using a macro.
    Will try and put one together as had also wanted my associated settings -- but what you provided is a GREAT start and Very HELPFUL.