PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
VS 2017 How can I let my app expire?-VBForums

Thread: How can I let my app expire?

How can I let my app expire?

So... one of my colleagues got another job and is leaving end of next month. I have a small app that for most guys here on vbforums will maybe be a joke but I worked very hard on it and I always try to make it better. I do this because I enjoy it...

But now she says that she likes my app and want to take it with her (I must put it on her pc and also a clean database for her) so she can use it at the new place and then they will pay me....

But honestly I think she is tricking me. So I want to give her my app but if I never hear from her again it must expire.... I know maybe this sounds nasty but I have work many many hours... sometimes even in early morning hours. Everything I had to learn from nothing and I am still learning. I feel it will not be right just to 'give it away'...

ps. And also she ask for the source code.
    Last edited by schoemr; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Don't miss the whole point of the dance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHnIJeE3LAI

Hyperactive Member

Re: How can I let my app expire?

Software security comes up a lot on forums. There is no system that is not breakable.

I think the basic balance is if you need something really good and have something worth protecting then buy something good to protect it.

Other than that IMHO saving an ecrypted password or key or expiration date in user settings will stop most users. How much are you willing to spend in time and effort to protect your software?

If you give the source then there is not much you can do other than a dongle (hardware)?

Lets be honest how good is your application?

I sell my software and I accept that it gets stolen? However it is niche hobby software and most of my customers want to be honest and pay for software. So I sell enough to do good business and pay for my time well. I don't spend my time worrying about it or working on protecting it... much.

If you process credit cards or something then that is different.

Finally, if you have more than one customer you need some way of generating passwords and etc and that basically requires a secure web site. Do you have that?

Fanatic Member

Don't give anyone that is leaving your company source code that you've developed as part of your job. If this source code was written on your own personal (non-compensated) time, then it is up to you whether to share it or not.

one way for a Trial-Prog. would be a simple Sql-Statement....Select (*) Count...etc..
    on a Table, say the Table Customers

you add a Splashscreen with the Text.... you can add 20 Customers in the Trailversion
    then you will need a Valid-Key to use the Programm.

the Code(check if Key-Code is Valid) in the Splashscreen will either End the Program or open it
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

The licensing topic is too big if we go in details - some of which are already mentioned above. Just for example: trial versions, demo versions, days to run limited, run-time limited, max runs limited, floating/network, feature based licensing, etc.

Expiration could be based on installation date and having e.g. 30-60-90 days and then the app can expire. Another expiration could be just to allow the app to run in 2019 only and when 2020 comes to stop working: if date.now.year > 2019 then show message box with some error (or polite "time to upgrade" notice) and exit the app.

Usually the expiration checks are done during application startup so just insert it there. It could be done before showing the main form or after that - it is your decision. Prior to showing the main form requires some changes to the project to add Sub Main as startup and some additional code for the initialization of WinForms:
    VB.NET Code:
    1. Sub Main()
    2.     If Date.Now.Year > 2019 Then End
    4.     Application.EnableVisualStyles()
    5.     Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(False)
    6.     Application.Run(New MainForm)
    7. End Sub

If you want to perform more complex check, e.g. 90 days from installation date, you have to check somewhere (file or registry key) for existing value. If it doesn't exist then this is the first run and save there the current date. If it exists - add 90 days and check if current date is greater or not. Of course someone can find that file or key and delete it so the check will start from scratch.

For the first example with expiration after 2019 the check is still not reliable - changing back the date or using some tools can fool the app.

Do you have a web server where you could store a text file? You could write into your app that if the text in that text file is "Allow" continue running the exe, else exit immediately. It's a fairly simple solution, but it means you could pull the plug any time you choose...
    But if you're giving away the source code, most solutions will be bypassed easily.
    Last edited by .paul.; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 11:17 PM.

hi .paul. i used your code on how to print a scrollable panel containing labels, text boxes and picture boxes, it worked well but my problem is the its leaves all the pictures boxes and print the rest. Any help will be appreciated. thank you1

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by schoemr View Post
    I would never do that without payment in advance. If they have the source they are free to change it and potentially sell it themselves if they so choose, depending on what license you attach to it. Even without the source .Net exe/dlls can be decompiled easily. It sounds like you aren't particularly friends with this person so I'd require payment in advance if you do decide to sell it (with or without the source).

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Neaj View Post
    hi .paul. i used your code on how to print a scrollable panel containing labels, text boxes and picture boxes, it worked well but my problem is the its leaves all the pictures boxes and print the rest. Any help will be appreciated. thank you1
    This is not the correct thread to ask that question. Create a new thread, ask your question, and be sure to post any relevant code or information...

one of my colleagues got another job
    The first question that needs a definitive answer is - who owns the copyright/source of this program that has been written. Just because you have spent many hours developing it (even in your own time) does not necessarily mean that you own it. It all depends upon the terms of your employment. By default, the copyright belongs to the original author, but most employers have contracts that give the employer ownership/copyright over anything developed during their employment using company facilities and resources (using a company laptop at home could be countered as using company resources). Even if this was developed entirely off-site using your own laptop and resources, if it relates to your paid employment you might still find that you don't own it. It all depends upon the employment terms. IMO you need to establish this with your current employers. If you don't and they find out and they think they own it, then you could be sued. Better be safe.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.3.5)

Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schoemr View Post
    But now she says that she likes my app and want to take it with her (I must put it on her pc and also a clean database for her) so she can use it at the new place and then they will pay me....

But honestly I think she is tricking me. So I want to give her my app but if I never hear from her again it must expire....

Must? Schoemr, you don't have to do anything, specially if you're not being paid. Also, don't give her the source code!

If she's only paying for your app and work on her pc after she starts her new job, then she doesn't plan on paying until she turns a profit over your creation she'll pass as her own after she alters it. Like 2kaud said, if the application was developed by you on your employers time, then your employer might own it. If your employer doesn't own your code, still never give it away!

Tell her that you thought about it, but you wont give her the source code. You're not debating about this decision when she continously asks why, it's final. Also, if she still wants the application installed, tell her you want to be paid up front for your time before setting-up her pc, but before doing so, make sure within the apps About tab that it states (Not for Resale), along with your information as creator (which she'll would more than likely change to herself if she has it's source code).

If you choose to wait for payment, then have your app self-destruct if she doesn't pay after a month, but not her work.

Also, in your apps Terms of Use (should always be accessible even after she agrees after first run), state the user's responsibility, and what would happen if your app is not paid for, and other things they agree on by using your app.

Updated Example:
    By using this application, you the user agrees and takes full responsiblity and wont hold the creator or anyone liable if this application self-destructs due to missed payment. By using your app means you the user has read, understands, and agrees with the Terms of Use for your application, and wont hold it's creator or anyone liable for damages, lost and unaccessible work dues to this application's self-destruction or bug. You the user understand and agrees not to hold this application's creator or anyone liable but themselves over lost revenues or profits, loss of business, and loss of anything else due to this applications self-destruction or bug. You the user will not modify, rent, lease, loan, sale, distribute, copy, missuse this application whatsoever. You the user understands and agrees that the price of the app will go up if a payment is missed. You the user understands, agrees, and wont take legal action if the creator of this application decides not to sell and install a paid for copy for any reason.
    Don't remove or modify your Terms of Use that she has to agree to if she complains or makes fun of it. It's your application, not hers.

Make sure at first run of your application by her that a window with the Terms of Use pops-up that she has to agree to for the app to work (Don't do it for her, or be around when she starts the app for the first time personally). "By clicking Agree means you have read, understand and agree to the Terms of Use"

If she complains about all of the above, don't give her the application, even if she later agrees.

I wouldn't give her another copy if she tried to get over on me (even if she cries), but if you decide to do so, make her pay way more up front than what you asked for. Don't forget to disable the self destruct after she pays, but she still has to agree to the Terms of Use for your application.

Again, don't give her your apps source code!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Aug 24th, 2019 at 12:47 PM.

Also make it to where your application, even after she pays, will only work on her pc. If your application can't indentify her pc by Windows version, system name, and product key, it wont work. This way she wont ignore your Terms of Use and freely distribute your application.

I was tired when I wrote the Terms of Use example. Go with uninstall instead of self-destruct.

Removed. Was a double comment.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Aug 24th, 2019 at 07:27 PM.

Here are some ideas for your app to expire:

* Store it's installation date on a server for your app to check. Your app will also get the current date from your server to check against the installation date. If you app can't access your server, it will remained locked so she can't use it. If your servers current date shows that it use expired from it's installation date, it will remain locked, or uninstall.

You can do all of the above with an encrypted hidden file, or system registry to see if it's expired, but if her system is gonna have internet access, it's better to have it check against your server for the installation date as well as the current date.

* To uninstall, have your app install an run an uninstall app that would only start the uninstall process of the main excutable and needed files if it detects that the main app's process is not running anymore.

Here are some coded examples:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...elete/19689415
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Aug 24th, 2019 at 03:44 PM.