dcsimg

Thread: scan QR code and it auto open download window

Lively Member

scan QR code and it auto open download window

Hi, thanks for looking into my problem.

We have some supplier label, it's QR code.
    We develop a simple webpage application to save the barcode data.

During testing, we notice one problem.
    We tested with IE11, firefox, chrome.
    Just a simple testing by opening google webpage, we scan the QR code in the search column, then it auto open the download window.
    We found that ctrl+J is the shortcut key to open download window however the barcode doesn't have "ctrl+J"

we are out of idea how to proceed this. Is there anyone can help?

below is the QR data when i scan in notepad:

Code:
    P/O NO:ABCDE0004

PART NO:ABCCD1234

LOT:12340000

NET:1KG

Manufacture date:2018.01.01

Expire date:2018.03.31

Re: scan QR code and it auto open download window

1) Barcode and QR Codes are different. Barcodes are a series of vertical lines of varying thicknesses. QR Codes are usually square in nature and can contain a bit more information. So which is it? Are you trying to process a barcode or a QR code?

2) QR codes can contain URL links in them. These links can point to web sites, images, or files. My guess is that is what is happening. What ever QR code you're scanning is pointing to a file, and so causes the browser to initiate the file download dialog.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

1) i'm sorry, it's a QR code. the scanned content is shown in 1st post.
    2) i scan the QR code in notepad, can't see any URL link inside. Or is it these URL can't be seen if scan in notepad? i'm sorry i'm not familiar with QR code.

Lively Member

1) i'm sorry, it's a QR code. the scanned content is shown in 1st post.
    2) i scan the QR code in notepad, can't see any URL link inside. Or is it these URL can't be seen if scan in notepad? i'm sorry i'm not familiar with QR code. I do try scanning the QR code with my phone but it didn't open any URL nor file.

A QR Code will only contain what ever the author/creator put in it. Some contain URLs only, some are codes, some contain entire business cards. It varies. I couldn't tell you what yours contains. It sounds like yours contains just what you see in notepad. Nothing more.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Hi.
    Maybe it's a scanner issue.
    Try to do a scanner reset and see if the problem persists. Some scanners are programmed to have a initial key combination so this might be the case.
    Slow as hell.

Lively Member

Thanks for reply. We have reset the scanner, all the initial tab or enter key were removed but yet same issue. We have informed this problem to the supplier and still waiting for their reply.