dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Get username from user folder

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Get username from user folder

Hi, I have problems when Iīm trying to get username path via Evironment variable.

Code:
    Dim usernamepath As String

usernamepath = Environ("USERPROFILE")
    "C:\users\" + usernamepath + "desktop\" + nazovsuboru
    But that code does not work. My code performs well without any errors, but resulting file isnīt created at all even Iīm able to see "Done!" msgbox.

Thanks.

Re: Get username from user folder

The userprofile variable is the path to the user profile, you don't need to concatenate anything. Also if you are using .Net you can just use https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...tframework-4.8 anyway.

Lively Member

Thanks. Iīve tried this code, but it does not work either.

Code:
    Dim usernamepath As String = Environ("USERPROFILE")
    Dim usernamepath2 As String = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.UserProfile)
    usernamepath2 + "desktop\" + nazovsuboru
    btw, last line should looks like that - C:\users\acer\desktop\myfile.bat.exe

Note that Iīve tried both username strings individually.

I tried to show usernamepath2 via msgbox and Iīm able to see the correct path. But file isnīt created at all. Maybe the external software isnīt able to handle this situation? I donīt think so, but I think that this could be resolved via getting the path directly to textbox and concatenate it with other strings that I have prepared. But, is there simplifier way?
    Last edited by VB.NET Developer; Aug 21st, 2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: small typo in code

Lively Member

I resolved it! Problem was in the missing slash after usernamepath (marked in red), but I didnīt noticed it at msgbox.
    Code:
    Dim usernamepath As String = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.UserProfile)
    usernamepath + "\desktop\" + nazovsuboru
    Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by VB.NET Developer; Aug 21st, 2019 at 01:11 PM.

Sinecure devotee

Re: [RESOLVED] Get username from user folder

I was wondering, and I think PlausiblyDamp was probably suggesting as well, that if you wanted to get to the Desktop of the user, why didn't just use the SpecialFolder Desktop enumeration and save yourself a concatenation.
    Also, you should use the string concatenation operator & instead of + to be on the safe side. Sometimes + will convert strings if they are convertible to numbers, to numbers and add them rather than concatenate them, so you may not get what you intended.

But, if you're building a path, then there are methods that will build a path from strings, so that is probably preferable anyway.
    Code:
    IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.Desktop), nazovsuboru)