Thread: Flex Grid

Question Flex Grid

I found out that MSHFLXGD was hack-able. I always wondered why the program was tagged by my anti-virus programs. I figured, incorrectly, that since I wrote it (and I don't know how to write a virus in VB), the executable would be fine. I was wrong. So i decided to change my program to use MSFlexGrid instead. So the new program works just great from a data point of view.
    But the grid displays differently. In the Hierarchical grid when I scroll to the end, I come out at the end of the data. In the changed program, when I scroll to the end of the data I come out with one extra line where a line would be if there was data.
    If I explained the problem correctly, would anyone have any idea where I should look to solve the problem? I want to prevent the extra line from showing. The scroll bars are part of the control.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: Flex Grid

Quote Originally Posted by AccessShell View Post
    I found out that MSHFLXGD was hack-able.
    Huh? That's new one one on me and you haven't provided anything to suggest that. If anti-virus software had a complaint it would point to the OCX itself. Doesn't sound like that is what you saw.

Quote Originally Posted by AccessShell View Post
    I always wondered why the program was tagged by my anti-virus programs.
    I think it is mainly because VB6 programs are all too commonly used to inject malware packages onto systems.

The old VB5 flexgrid was only included as a crutch to help people port old VB5 programs to VB6 as a first cut before they got around to reworking it to use the newer Unicode control with its many new features.

I rewrote the original program by replacing mshflxgd with msflexgrid with the same results.
    Malarebytes gave the following response:

Malware blocked
    You can quarantine the malware (recommended) or ignore it. If you select always ignore, the malware will be added to exclisions and will no longer be identified as a threat.
    Type: Malware
    Name: MachineLearning/Anomalous.100%
    Path: C:\Users\..............

I will try to rewrite without either of these control. I don't know if I can put label controls in a container and vertically scroll them together.

In another post I will include a web address which discusses this issue. I tried in my last post up the post would not submit 465490821460

Thanks

Why do you think the message/alert is caused by the MS(H)FlexGrid?

I have written many other VB6 programs. This is the only one that elicits this response. All my other programs run on both WIN 7 Pro and WIN10 Home. On WIN, for now,, I only have the executable. Also search for this site.
    Hierarchical FlexGrid Control Memory CorruptionVulnerability

PowerPoster

Most of those sorts of scare stories are about hosting ActiveX controls in web pages delivered from a remote attack site (malicious site or a compromised site). They don't apply to VB6 programs at all.

OK. That brings up a couple of questions.
    1. Should I exclude this program from Malwarebytes?
    2. When I try to register the control mshflxgd.ocx I get an error about dependency's. There are 3 other files on the WIN7 computer in the SYSWOW64 directory that start with mshflxdg. They are .dep and .oca and .srg. Should I place these 2 in the directory as well?

Thanks

PowerPoster

Even asking this question suggests you are in far over your head. Use a packaging utility before you cause real harm.

The DEP file contains instructions to packaging utilities, the OCA file is a typelib cache used by the compiler, and the SRG file contains developer-key information for this OCX. No, you should not deploy any of them.

OK, you saw it, this is way over my head. Please recommend a Packaging Utility that I can specify what I want to register,
    Also, I presume that not answering question #1 in my last post meant that I should exclude it from Malwarebytes.

Thanks